News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Thinking about what you enjoy before you buy

Started by VFan, October 29, 2010, 08:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnclemens

Cool Raj! Howd you stumble onto it?
Always interesting to see how people find it without knowing about it.

Raj1988

Its easy when you have 3 hr lectures which involve listening to professor expound the various intricacies of venture capitalism.... I think someone on ADVrider posted a link to your site.
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Kenny

I rode an SV650 on my track (FAST course) at Shannonville a few years back -What an awesome machine for the track. But it doesn't do what the our Visions do. The riding position for one is to radical , no shaft, the fairing does not provide the same coverage,the footpeg to seat relationship is to tight.  Of course these are all items that compare to the Vision as I ride it -as a daily to work machine & a cross Canada tourer.
                               My 2bits, Cheers Ken S.       
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

George R. Young

Must be a tourer at heart, all my motorcycles starting with the CB160 became long distance rigs.

The XZ550 has some great features, but for long trips, the alternator frying became just too high a reliability issue for me.

VFan

I have the same desires to take my RJ on some interstate rides but I too have become timid to do so because of my stator frying.

Based on my experience with the stator that burned out a couple of years ago I believe that this is a heat problem. High priority on my "to do" list next year is to install an oil cooler per Lucky's instructions.  I also have a belief that if I clean my connectors at the beginning of each season that I'll dramatically reduce the chance of a R/R failure or some other type of electrical failure. In short, I still have aspirations of taking the RJ on some extended rides. Time will tell if I actually do. Meantime, I've had quite a lot of fun on commute and day trips.

Kent

Raj1988

Its a bit of a PITA but there are ways to work around, mitigate risks

A well maintained bike will fry stators less often. (Kenny, Tiger, Lucky, Brian and others) will attest to that. (H2O's was an R/R problem)

It happened to me on my first over 1000k trip on day 3. My hard solderd connectors and mechanical ignorance cost me $300 for a used stator that had to be hunted down.
(To be fair they did spend close to 4 hrs with soldering and gasketing)

Before that i rode 600kms on the battery after unplugging the headlight. Spent money on a motel the previous night and stuck the battery on a tender overnight!!!

Now i am older and wiser. I would have done a stator swap on my spare engine just for practice before i left. And heeded the senior visionary's advice to take a spare stator, replaced the soldered connections and take the appropriate tools and gasket. It can be done on the roadside by leaning the bike over on its right (don't do this with a full gas tank).

The way i see it, most of us newer visionaries picked their bikes up because they were affordable. Like they say, there is alway a trade off. Older bikes, next to nothing initial cost is equated by higer probablity of brakedown.. I have made my peace with it.

On the upside, every time I had a mechanical issue on the road, I've met some of the nicest people so for me its worth it !!! 

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Re-Vision

Maybe you could have pretend break-downs as a way to meet girls, just a thought.    BDC

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rikugun

QuoteGirls don't stop to help fix bikes...

You're more likely to get Bubba and his '67 F100. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless you start hearing the dueling banjo music.  :o
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

In my experience, it's the scariest tattooed up harley riders that stop and ask if they can help.  I've even been offered a ride home from a fully patched gang member.  Guys on modern sports bikes never ask.

kev10104

Although  I have no experience with any other bikes I really enjoy my vision.I want to travel all across Canada on a bike.I can retire in a little over 10 years with a full pension and am working toward being mortgage free which will allow me to do this.Hopefully my buddy(Tiger)will tag along as well as some others and roam free.