News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Eliminating Solderd Connections and using Connectors

Started by Raj1988, November 01, 2010, 11:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raj1988

The PO got rid of all the connectors for stator and R/R. I would like to replace this with proper connectors so if i do have another failure 3 days away from home, i can do a roadside swap...

I would like advice as to what connectors to use and the negatives to this plan of action
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

funkamongus

The connectors are typically where the problems come. Hence the soldering. With NEW connectors, with dielectric grease and shiny contacts, it should last long enough for you, in my humble opinion, seeing as our stators only last X miles anyway, usually. 
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Night Vision

I soldered my first replacement stator.... the one after that got spade connectors that I clean every year.

you can't check for continuity easily if the three wires are soldered, liquid taped and electrical taped  :P
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

I use the flat trailer connectors with plenty of dielectric grease (I live in Tennessee, where trailer parts are easy to find....)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

Dielectric in Websters = insulator. You need a connection ...a good one. So do NOT over do the dielectric grease.  Also use a sealed battery..they are expensive but now no more acid fumes at the battery breather near the factory connection.  This is one Main reason fo rthe corrosion.  I use spade connectors available at LOWES or Radio Shack. I crimp and solder the end at each connector tab. Assemble, and use much tape to weather proof it...or Heat shrink. Then it comes apart with just a razor blade...if needed
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rikugun

I'm not a big fan of soldered (nonremovable) connections. When I replace my stator I'm considering using the GM/Delphi Weather Pack connectors.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tiger

Quote from: Rikugun on December 02, 2010, 04:35:21 PM
When I replace my stator I'm considering using the GM/Delphi Weather Pack connectors.

:) A great choice... 8) Remember, which ever connectors you guys choose, don't go cheap... :o The "pay me now or pay me later" rule applies!!!

8) .......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

davexz

The only reason for connectors is for ease of replacement.  The fewer the connectors the higher your reliability.  If you go with connectors get good ones.  Where I work, every connector we use is gold plated.  The good ones are worth the extra cost - especially in high current lines like your charging system.  The connections have a certain amount of resistance - the current X resistance = voltage drop. The resistance also creates heat.  So over time you don't want any corrosion which creates resistance which drops your voltage and melts your rubber.  That is one reason they got away from 6 V systems - they draw 2X the current as 12V (for same power) and with the voltage drops in your wiring you end up with a couple volts left - not good.