News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Wet, cold, wont start

Started by Kiwi, November 02, 2010, 08:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

So, i lost my gamble with the weather and it was raining when i left work.  The bike had been sitting in the rain most of the day.
It wouldnt start.  Lights come on, and dim when i hit the start button, and i hear a click from under the seat ( the solenoid?)  but no go.
A nice co worker gave me a push and off home i went.  The bike ran fine.

Where do i start looking?  my theory is to start with the handlebar controls ( since they are the most exposed to the weather ) and spray them with a water bottle.  This assumes it does start again when it dries out.

Any suggestions?

On the plus side, the bike is running great, no stumble !
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Hartless

as i always say , correct me if im wrong. but most likely if it clicks still its not going to be the handle bar electrics. check and make sure the battery terminals are clean and connections are tight.this also applies to the selenoid. its also nice to apply anti-corrode spray to terminals. these would be my first checks.....
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Re-Vision

I'd start with the starter button by taking it apart, looking for moisture and dirty contacts. Put it back together using dielectric grease. Then I'd check for good starter solenoid connections to the battery and starter. Bet you find it.     BDC

QBS

It clicks.  The lights dim.  It isn't a starter button problem.  Possibly bad connections at the battery and or the starter solenoid.  Easy to check and clean.

Has your starter motor oil seal been up graded?  What kind of shape are the starter motor brushes in?  Run 12v dc directly to the starter motor positive lug (in neutral, on center stand) and report back.

Kiwi

I figured it out.  The wire that runs to the starter had come loose.

If it had not been cold, dark, and wet i probably would of figured it out.

At least it was an easy fix.
The season is coming to an end anyway, so hopefully I'll have some extra cash and start fixing her up for next year.
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Tiger

Quote from: Kiwi on November 06, 2010, 09:51:17 PM
I figured it out.  The wire that runs to the starter had come loose.
The season is coming to an end anyway, so hopefully I'll have some extra cash and start fixing her up for next year.

:) I can supply you with...NEW, custom made, battery to ground and starter solenoid to starter cable set's... ;) Made with pliable, 6GA wire and soldered heavy duty connectors 8)  
The cost per set is only $25.00 + shipping... 8) Several member's already have them fitted...including my rides and rebuilds...8)

8) .......TIGER....... 8)ps Two new flange nuts are included in the set... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kev10104

An awesome upgrade and just as important it will be one less worry.