News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Can we change site settings to allow non members to see photo's????

Started by johnclemens, December 21, 2010, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnclemens

I would love to have a few of my family or friends check out my build blog. However they don't get to see the photos....
Can this be changed?
Thanks

Lucky

you'll have to email Ron on this, he's the sole admin for this site.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

John, have you considered a free account with photobucket?  You can "embedd" your pictures into your posts very easilly and it does not take up server space.  You can also manipulate the photos to be as large or as small as you want and can even link to your album.

Just a thought.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

johnclemens

Yes I have considered other places and apps for the build thread. I have a place on my Motobrothers site. With a very good blog software. We may be redoing that site and I might move it then.

However I kinda like having it here. Its where it should be.
I have had a long history with Visions as many of you have. So sharing it here seems somehow cooler.

I just thought it would be cool if other people could see the pictures.
They should not be able to post unless they're a member. But I see no harm in letting em see all the photos.

Re-Vision

John, I doubt that anyone wants you to move your build thread somewhere else. What you do with photobucket or some other similar site is to provide a link from the ROV site to the site that has your pictures without restrictions as to size or number. Its always nicer to see pictures in higher definition.   BDC

YellowJacket!

I think you may have misunderstood.  Your build thread will still be here alonng with the pictures, they just won't be stored on the ROV server which has limited space for pictures.

For instance, the picture of YJ in my sig line is stored in my photobucket account but shows up in all my posts.  All of the pictures I have posted in my ROV threads are also stored in my photobucket account but will allways appear in my threads.

For me, its an easier way of posting pictures on ROV.  I know in the past we had some problems with uploading the pictures to the site and would get a message that the storage capacity limit had been reached.  I'm not sure that Ron has upgraded the amount of storage and what the limit is but I always thought using an offsite storage was a good idea.

For instance, this picture appears on ROV but is actually stored on another website:

All I had to do was go to my photobucket page and copy the "web link" and paste it into my post.

Hope that clears it up a bit

and, if I'm not mistaken, non-members can see it too.

David

EDIT: I just verified by logging out and returning as a "guest" that I can see all of the pictures that I have posted but none of Johns, So John, in doing so, your friends WOULD be able to see your pictures.

Hope that helps.

Re-Vision

So David, how does one cause the picture to appear on ROV automatically? I love that yellow. Interested in a Full Fairing with a 2003 Ford Pick-Up Yellow Paint job?    BDC

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Re-Vision on December 22, 2010, 07:47:42 PM
So David, how does one cause the picture to appear on ROV automatically? I love that yellow. Interested in a Full Fairing with a 2003 Ford Pick-Up Yellow Paint job?    BDC

Hi Bobby,

When your pictures are displayed on the photobucket website, they have a small popup menu below them that gives you choices about how to link your photos to whatever you are wanting to link them to such as blog, website, email, etc.  I choose "IMG Code", click on it and it copies a HTML string that begins and ends with a [img] tag.  I simply right click and paste the img tag into my ROV post.  In the initial post, all I will see is the HTML tag until I hit the "post" button.  When the post appears on ROV, the pictures will be there.

Also, If I have a long post, like some of the tutorials I did, I will do them in MS Word first, place the links to my images and then copy and paste the whole thing into the ROV post box.  It makes organizing and creating large psots a lot easier.

Ohhh... I'd love that full fairing.  Does it have all the brackets and parts?  I had a full fairing in the past but never found all the parts for it.  I ended up trading it for the Shark that is on YJ now.

David

YellowJacket!

johnclemens

It looks like the settings have been changed. Thank you ;D I owe you a beer whoever did it.

Thanks for the tip on the picture hosting stuff. I think I'll just keep doing it the way I have been.
Now that its been changed.

Re-Vision

Quote from: YellowJacket! on December 23, 2010, 11:27:38 AM
Quote from: Re-Vision on December 22, 2010, 07:47:42 PM

Hi Bobby,

When your pictures are displayed on the photobucket website, they have a small popup menu below them that gives you choices about how to link your photos to whatever you are wanting to link them to such as blog, website, email, etc.  I choose "IMG Code", click on it and it copies a HTML string that begins and ends with a [img] tag.  I simply right click and paste the img tag into my ROV post.  In the initial post, all I will see is the HTML tag until I hit the "post" button.  When the post appears on ROV, the pictures will be there.

Also, If I have a long post, like some of the tutorials I did, I will do them in MS Word first, place the links to my images and then copy and paste the whole thing into the ROV post box.  It makes organizing and creating large psots a lot easier.

Ohhh... I'd love that full fairing.  Does it have all the brackets and parts?  I had a full fairing in the past but never found all the parts for it.  I ended up trading it for the Shark that is on YJ now.

David

Recently picked up a virus on my computer and apparently missed the above reply while getting it repaired. I can send pictures if you or anyone else would like to see the fairing. It has everything needed to fit an 82 or 83 bike: dash, mirrors with rubber boots, rubber bucket for wiring connectors, harness extension, short risers and 83 brake pedal and shifter if needed, headlight bucket, rubber boot for headlight, etc. Rubber knob is missing from one of the vent actuators.    BDC