News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

What to do over the winter

Started by Kiwi, November 06, 2010, 09:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

So, this winter i have a nice, relatively warm garage to work in.
Here are my plans for the bike.
1. Repaint the tank and palstics, they look pretty ratty at the moment
2.  Find a replacement water pump cover.  Mine is very badly scratched and looks ugly.
3.  replace the seal thats in that general area, i forgot the name
4. Check every bolt to make sure its snug
5.  Install a voltmeter

That is all i can think of.
What are your winter plans for your bike?
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Tiger

:angel: 'TO DO' over the up and coming winter.......

'The Mistress' will get new swing arm bearings installed, the housing will be drilled/tapped and a grease fitting installed for future lubrication

I've had a spare swing arm, centre stand, rear brake adjuster rod and rear brake bar sandblasted. I have also 'blended in' the welds on the swing arm. All the parts have been given three coats of Red oxide primer and a couple of coats of high solids industrial Black gloss paint.

Another rear fender, in better over all condition, has been 'bobbed' and polished and is also ready for installation...along with a clean, polished rear inner fender, ready for install

With the motor on the bench, I can get the valves 'lapped', with new valve guide seals installed and the valve adjustments done... for another 28 years  ;)     

A new set of Avon tires will be a priority... 8)

Other than that, its a case of touching up paint nicks/chips, check out and repair/replace any wire problems, replace all fasteners that I take off with new ones, clean, tidy, polish, etc, etc...put her all back together again...install ALL new fluids, oil filter, spark plugs, clean & oil the UNI air filter, etc, etc....... and fire her up ready for the new season to begin, once again... :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D 

8) .......TIGER....... 8) 

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kev10104

I will be putting her away soon for the winter.I never had a bike when I bought this place so never really cared about a garage.Boy do I regret that.

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on November 07, 2010, 05:38:04 AM

'The Mistress' will get new swing arm bearings installed, the housing will be drilled/tapped and a grease fitting installed for future lubrication

don't forget the thrust washers
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

I have a carport too, but we now have 4 Visions & one frame Ninja. Kittys is getting rebuilt (i may get her started today) & Spectre is working on his, my two need a little attention.  

I've wrapped my carport in 4ml plastic & fired up a kerosene forced air heater.  works well enough to make it workable in there without freezing my lifters off...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

pullshocks

Pull the fork, tear it down, get it powder coated, put it back with new seals and roller bearing headset.  May or may not do a cartridge & spring upgrade while I'm at it.
And as much as I dread the thought of fiberglass work, I will try to get the fairing lowers back together (broken when I got the bike).  They sure would have been nice riding through the slush on Chinook Pass a couple weeks ago.

Brian Moffet

I have two projects that I'll be working on I think.  I plan on finding someone to repair the damage from the laydown a couple of years ago.  I've decided I'm going to paint the bike in standard colors and trim.  I'll do some minor work such as spark plugs and such as well.

I've also decided to try and get my 66 Sprite running/restored.  My father is not well, and I'd like to have it finished while he still can see it.

Brian

davexz

Good topic - I got the motor out of one of my xz550 and I got the motor freed up (been sitting a long time and was froze up)  and waiting on a 2.60 mm shim then I'll get the valve covers back on.  Then on to the starter clutch bolts and then back in the frame. Then on to the carbs, electrical, starter, brakes, etc. all the stuff that has been neglected when I got the bike.  The other XZ will need the carbs gone through and to figure out why nothing happens when I hit the starter button.  Both bikes need some TLC - thats why I'm attracted to them I guess.  Then I got a 1979 KZ1000st I have been working on for about 2 years - it was froze up too and the mice were living on it and in the pipes.  I got that about 95% done and very close to firing up.  Then on to a 1979 GS850 that just needs the brakes bled and gas tank gone through and a headlight or windjammer put on.  I also have a Honda CX500 that I'm helping my son figure out the wiring. It will need the brakes all rebuilt and an exhaust and some other minor things.  Lucky I got an old 2 stall garage to work in.  I like it when it cools down a little, no sweat and no bugs. :)

Raj1988

This winter, the list of things to do grows..
My really need 'To-Do' list because come April, A ride from Southern Ontario to San Fransisco is in the offing!!

VALVE check at 34K

Front end badly needs an overhaul after "dual sporting" in Alberta and Montana this summer including new head+wheel bearings, Oil and maybe Progressive Springs

Wider Handle bars with Handguards, heat grips, dakar style map roll case(not sure how i'm going to  make this)

Brake rebuild with new seals, Pistons, pads, rotors..

RePaint or wirebrush, shine and clearcoat the Calipers

Replace rear shock

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Re-Vision

Kiwi, if you get back over this way I have a water pump cover with the YICS label missing that you are welcome to.   BDC

Kiwi

I think i will have to take you up on that one !  Now i just have to figure out a time.  Hopefully i wont get lost this time ;D
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Tiger

Quote from: Tiger on November 07, 2010, 05:38:04 AM
:angel: 'TO DO' over the up and coming winter.......

I've had a spare swing arm, centre stand, rear brake adjuster rod and rear brake bar sandblasted. I have also 'blended in' the welds on the swing arm. All the parts have been given three coats of Red oxide primer and a couple of coats of high solids industrial Black gloss paint.

Another rear fender, in better over all condition, has been 'bobbed' and polished and is also ready for installation...along with a clean, polished rear inner fender, ready for install

With the motor on the bench, I can get the valves 'lapped', with new valve guide seals installed and the valve adjustments done... for another 28 year's ;)     

A new set of Avon tires will be a priority... 8)

Other than that, its a case of touching up paint nicks/chips, check out and repair/replace any wire problems, replace all fasteners that I take off with new ones, clean, tidy, polish, etc, etc...put her all back together again...install ALL new fluids, oil filter, spark plugs, clean & oil the UNI air filter, etc, etc....... and fire her up ready for the new season to begin, once again... :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:) Its to bloody cold to ride anymore this season. The swing arm bearings are here, so, over the next few months "The Mistress" will be stripped bare :o Touched up/repaired/replaced/cleaned/painted...and whatever else needs done so we can have another great riding season ahead to look forward too... 8)

Raj1988

Tiger, i've got a question for ya reg swing arm bearings... Are there any where it attaches to the monoshock? I've got a bit of play at that mounting point! what can i do to fix this?
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Tiger

Quote from: Raj1988 on November 21, 2010, 07:41:38 AM
Tiger, I've got a question for ya reg swing arm bearings... Are there any where it attaches to the monoshock? I've got a bit of play at that mounting point! what can i do to fix this?

:) See new seperate thread regarding this subject...

Ron_McCoy

h2olawyer

Quote from: Ron_McCoy on November 23, 2010, 03:37:02 PM
RIDE

Sure, Ron - easy for you to say . . .

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

fret not

:o Dang!!!  That sure looks like winter to me!  Glad it isn't at my house. ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

h2olawyer

Actually, that was a couple winters ago - but it is indicative of what we can get in the winter around here.  It's why my V stays parked from November to April.  We've only had about 4 inches of snow so far this year.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.