News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Stator??

Started by coyote_killer, November 09, 2010, 11:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote_killer

Are replacement stators still available?
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750

h2olawyer

Lots of bikes use the same stator - (why re-invent the wheel?).  Yamaha replacements are priced like precious metals.  Rick's Motorsport Electrics, Electrosport, RM Stator & Tim Parrott all supply relatively reasonably priced replacements.  i've bought from all of them in the last few years.   ::)  I'd have been in bankruptcy long ago if I'd been buying Yamaha units!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

QBS

Is there a consensus that OEM units are superior to the aftermaket?

Tiger

:) Here you go buddy...a list of other bikes that use the G7 stator (same as the Vision... 8) )

YAMAHA...

1987-96 XV535 Virago
1988-95 XV750 Virago
1992-93 TDM850

HONDA...

1983-86 VT500c Shadow
1983-84 VT500FT Ascot
1996-99 CBR900RR
2000-03 CBR929RR

SUZUKI...

1985-87 VS700 Intruder
1992-99 VS800 Intruder
1990-92 VX800

APRILLIA...

1999-02 SL1000 Falco
1999-02 RSV Mille
2001-02 RST Futura
2002.... ETV Caponord

BMW...
1997-01 F650

Please cut and paste and/or print off for future reference... ;)

There are others...feel free to add on to this thread 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kev10104

I have been waiting a month for onr from Tim Parrot and he won't even answer my emails.

Walt_M.

Whatever you do, don't waste your time and money on a used Vision stator. They have known temperature related failure issues. Some of the '83s(mine included) still have their original stators but don't take a chance on one, unless you have no other choice or it is free.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Shop Rat

Quote from: Tiger on November 10, 2010, 06:43:48 AM
:) Here you go buddy...a list of other bikes that use the G7 stator (same as the Vision... 8) )

There are others...feel free to add on to this thread 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Wow! That is one valuable piece of info! Thanks! I'm pretty sure mine will be OK, and I have a spare from a junked '82 XZ550, but after all the horror stories I've read here, I want to do what's necessary to fix it so it'll last forever, like it's supposed to.

Frank C
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

George R. Young

Quote from: Shop Rat on December 17, 2010, 03:53:30 PM
. . .  I want to do what's necessary to fix it so it'll last forever, like it's supposed to.

Frank C
Once you figure that out, please let us all know.

VFan

I could probably find the answer to my question by searching past stator threads, but since this has been brought up, I'm going to go ahead and ask. Does this stator list imply that the connectors fit the R/R or does it assume splicing?

Thanks in advance

fret not

Probably have to splice your connections unless you luck out and get a stator that fits exactly.  If you order a stator from one of the after market suppliers you should get one that fits exactly.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

QuoteDoes this stator list imply that the connectors fit the R/R or does it assume splicing?

The connectors could end up being the least of your concerns. You might better ask if anyone has successfully installed one from this list and which one that is. I can tell you from personal experience that a 2000 Honda VT/VLX 600 will not fit an '82 Vision.  The bolt pattern and where the wires emanate from the stator relative to the wire guide is OK. The stator's OD, however, will not fit inside the rotor.

Vision stator OD   -  4.52"
Vision rotor ID     -  4.59"
Shadow stator OD - 4.66"

It's my luck I probably found the only one that doesn't fit. But just to play it safe, be sure of the vendor's return policy or verify it's dimensions prior to purchase.

Anyone need a good used Shadow stator??   >:(
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tiger

:) The Yamaha stators and the Honda Ascot ones DO fit... 8)

When I rebuild a Vision, I remove the three pin connector for the stator, (both ends), and use three, good quality male & female quick slide disconnects...VOILA!!!

8) .......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Rikugun

Quotea list of other bikes that use the G7 stator (same as the Vision

Tiger, Is the "G7" designation from Electrex World's application charts? If so, did you go through the charts and compile your list from models that share that stator?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tiger

Quote from: Rikugun on December 20, 2010, 07:38:40 PM
Quotea list of other bikes that use the G7 stator (same as the Vision

Tiger, Is the "G7" designation from Electrex World's application charts? If so, did you go through the charts and compile your list from models that share that stator?

Its a list given to me several years ago...but I can't remember from whom it came!!!

I hate this getting old shite :o ::) >:(... ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

8) ........TIGER........ 8)

kev10104

I can tell you that list is very valuable to us all.

Rikugun

This list is only as valuable as it is accurate. This is no way a slight to Tiger, as I'm sure he'll be the first to admit he has not personally tried all these stators himself. Rather, he is passing along info he received. Consider this a cautionary tale so that no one else experiences the same grief I recently ran into.

All the stators listed are not the same in their original state. They have different wattage output, OD, ID, thickness and bolt location/quantity. They are however similar to each other. They are all 3 phase and may all have 18 posts. There dimensions are close, but not identical.

What the aftermarket company's are calling the G7, is a "one size fits many" stator. They provide a 5 bolt hole pattern that is configured to accommodate 4 screw mounting (ie 2000 Honda VT/VLX600 and others) as well as the 3 bolt configuration of the Vision and others. The thickness of the OEM stators vary +/- a few millimeters which the magnet width will easily accommodate. The G7's ID is sized large enough to fit all those models side covers. The OD is sized to fit within the smallest rotor ID on the list. This was the crucial area for me.

As an example: G7 stator OD is 115mm as is the OEM Vision. Thickness of the two is within 1mm. The Vison rotor ID is 117mm. Three of the 5 mounting holes fit the Vision side cover. Everything is fine so far. The VT600 OEM stator is 119mm OD - it won't fit within the Vison rotor.  If you bought a G7 stator it will fit in the 2000 Shadow and the Vision. However, buying a used 2000 OEM Shadow stator will not fit in the Vision. I wouldn't be surprised if other OEM stators from newer and/or larger displacement bikes on the list may not fit as well.

Tiger, you have had good results with an Ascot stator. I'd think the first gen Shadows would as well since the V-twin Ascots use that motor. Also, did you use a Virago 535 successfully as well? If so, there are a couple of viable options for someone interested in sourcing a used stator for their Vision. Are there any other applications members have used that worked? I'd rather work from a short list of knowns than a long list of unknowns.

Again, not trying to disparage Tiger's list, just want to promote accurate info. Anyone else with knowledge of stators from the list that work please chime in.

Tiger

:) No offence taken Rikugun. I cannot verify every single stator on the list... as I have not, thankfully, tried them all... :-\

The Ascot stator was used with success by my good friend and brother-from-another-mother,  ;) , Night_Vision...at the same period I used one from a Virago 535, (acquired from N_V), which is slightly smaller, runs a wee bit less on the voltage output and runs cooler than an OEM Vision unit. This second hand unit lasted me around three years before going down...

8) .......TIGER....... 8)

Lucky

these are model specific quirks just like our engines having 2 different water pump bolt patterns.  this list sgould be used as a general guide. whenever possable test fit replacement parts...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Cdnlouie

I can vouch for the Honda Ascot, the Suzuki Intruder vs700, and the yamaha virago series. I am running the VS700 at the moment. You do have re-route the wires and change the case rubber seals so it's not as simple install as the original, but if you're up to the challenge the rewards are obvious.

:)

Rikugun

Quotethese are model specific quirks just like our engines having 2 different water pump bolt patterns.  this list sgould be used as a general guide. whenever possable test fit replacement parts...

Agreed. Hopefully future references to the list will stress that it is only a general guide.

A stator that doesn't fit is a fairly significant "quirk".    :)