Main Menu

Stator??

Started by coyote_killer, November 09, 2010, 11:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdvRich

I can offer in this little bit to the mix. I'm running Ron Ghetti's old '83 and he referred me to past posts when I bought it for mods/repairs he'd done. From what I've gathered it looks like he also used a VT500 (although from a shadow) stator and that is probably what is still in there and working great. Ron also mentions a stator amperage upgrade option with swapping in a Honda V45 stator that he was checking out at the same time.... Also reference to Electrex stator chart for comparing what fits what.... not sure I should repost old posts so here is a link for those interested... General / Board Archives / Re: New Conversations with Electrex (3/10/04)
on: June 08, 2004, 07:49:56

Rikugun

QuoteAlso reference to Electrex stator chart for comparing what fits what
At the risk of sounding like a broken record... ??? :o :D

The Electrex application charts (where Tiger's list is derived) will not tell you what fits what necessarily. It will only tell you what their G7 stator will fit and by their own admission, sometimes w/modifications required.  It doesn't always work in reverse. To simply cost and inventory, they have found several frames that will work with many applications. The "G7" is one of those stator frames. I don't believe it to be a Honda, Yamaha, Aprilla, Zundapp, Suzuki, Ducati, Ural, BMW, etc. term but rather an Electrex designation.

I'll go out on a limb and say that buying a used original stator from a bike on that list will only guarantee the bolt pattern may work in your Vision. As an example: On the list is the 2000 Shadow 600 but it's OEM stator will not fit the Vision. Elextrex' G7 will however fit both - probably with reduced output in the 600. Also, The 2000 Shadow 600 and '83 Ascot/Shadow 500 are both on that list yet the 600's OEM stator won't fit in the 500. Again, Elextrex' G7 will fit both. The list only tells you that Electrex' G7 will fit those models: not that those models' OEM stators are interchangeable.

Responses to this thread have revealed a few that work, and one that doesn't. As far as I'm concerned, until proved out, the rest are suspect. Any from the list with an OD > 115mm won't fit in the Vision rotor.

IMHO, YMMV, and all the other boiler plate CYA qualifiers you can think of..... :laugh:
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

AdvRich

Hi Rikigun, sorry for any confusion with my post. I added that line about the Electrex stator chart because in previous posts Tiger mentioned he could not remember the source, and Kev1014 mentioned the value of it, and no other info had been added to say where it came from.... so, I was just adding that possibly Electrex was the source to help complete that bit of knowing in the discussion. It sounds like from your post that you know the list is from Electrex. Thanks.  :)

And by all means, yes to the rest of how to use the list: fitment may vary, and it is not the bike manufacturer that makes the G7 stator, but that they create the parameters for sizing to the various model fitments as needed..., some of which will work with the Viz and others - no go..... All par for course when venturing into adaptive mods. Sorry to hear that yours got so close to fitting and came up short and thanks for sharing that. 

Bottom line for me is to research what is being discussed and come up with, as you mentioned, a short list of what does work, and is on the better side of reliability, and affordable. Preferably for me, one that has a little more juice for heated clothing and of course an RR that is out of the kitchen and operating with a modern design that allows the stator to run cooler, last longer, and so on.