News:

Main Menu

Starter Clutch bolts

Started by davexz, November 16, 2010, 10:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davexz

OK - I got my starter clutch out but not quite sure how to get it apart so I thought I'd call it enough for one night.  Couple questions -  The sheet metal wrap around is all chewed up how do you separate the gear fro this sheet metal to get he bolts out?  Does it just press out?  What is the function of the sheet metal wrap? Mine is chewed up so I either need a new one or to eliminate this one.  Also, since the bolts were all loose and chewed up the threads in my flywheel I'm thinking about tapping bigger threads and going to larger bolts. Anyone do that?  I need to figure out what to do with what I got or to get new parts.  Thanks

Re-Vision

I got an engine sitting here on the bench and I can't imagine what this sheet metal wrap is. Would like to see a picture if possible. Maybe someone else knows what it is.    BDC

fret not

I think DaveXZ is referring to the sheet metal piece that retains the rollers of the starter clutch.

Dave, depending on how bad your threads are in your flywheel you PROBABLY can just put new bolts in and peen them over, as per the usual starter clutch repair.  You need the sheet metal piece but it doesn't have to be pretty, just not in shreds.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

davexz

Yes - I probably didn't describe the sheet metal very well but Mike is right.  Does the clutch just press apart?  I didn't look at it too close but didn't see how it comes apart from the gear.

Lucky

normally that sheetmetal is attached to the clutch body, the gear simply slips over it.  if the sheetmetal is stuck hard to the gear then it's been beaten up & probably overheated. 

if it's all torn up anyway, you might as well peel it off the gear & toss it.  when you find a good replacement then insert the gear & make sure it turns without dragging on the sheetmetal.  if so there is more metal stuck to the gear than you found the first time..
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

davexz

Yep - I got it apart tonight.  It was just so beat up it didn't want to come off the gear.  The bolts were loose for a long time I think.  You can see where the heads were wearing on the gear too. The bolts were all worn bad and the sheet metal worn and ripped from the screw heads wanting to back out.  I'm wondering where all the metal particles ended up?  I did see some when I changed the oil filter.  Does the oil pump have a screen on the intake would it be worth looking there?  I did bend over that 2nd tab on the balancer shaft nut.  I think I'm going to see if I can do an electrical check on the stator while I got it apart.

fret not

It is events like this that make magnetic drain plugs so desirable.  The oil filter already does a very good job of keeping debris out of circulation but it only stops the stuff that gets to it.  There may be other bits hiding in dark places. 

If you haven't done the starter clutch repair yet get it done or bad things can happen.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Tiger

Quote from: fret nut on November 18, 2010, 12:51:58 AM
It is events like this that make magnetic drain plugs so desirable.

:) The drain plug from the rear drive unit has a magnetic insert. I, like several others here, have acquired and used one of these to replace the one for the engine...A straight replacement and a wee bit of extra insurance for your engine... 8)

davexz...Go to 'search' and key in 'starter clutch'...you will find lots of help there, some with pictures, that will help you to sort this out.

Buy 3 - M8 x 14/16mm socket head cap screws, to replace the three wrecked ones. Completely clean them and the thread holes with brake & parts cleaner, to remove any oil. Use a touch of RED thread locker on installation. turn the flywheel over and using a good punch, peen the threaded ends flat...problem solved!!!

TIGER
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Raj1988

TIGER, 5:14 AM is no time for one to be up and answering Vision questions.... back to sleep i say!
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Tiger

Quote from: Raj1988 on November 18, 2010, 07:52:08 AM
TIGER, 5:14 AM is no time for one to be up and answering Vision questions.... back to sleep i say!

:) My alarm goes off at 4.30 a.m...Monday to Friday!!!...No rest for the wicked mate ;)

TIGER
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Raj1988

i must be some sort of an angel then!
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Hartless

thats what time im going to bed!
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

jasonm.

probably too late to post this. MUST USE HARDENED 12.9 grade M8 screws(bolts). Otherwise it will loosen again ...very fast!
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

gabossie

I finally got around to pulling my starter clutch today to check the bolts and it's looking pretty terrible. These guys were obviously rattling around in there for a long time. The threads on the flywheel are completely hammered. Zero thread left and the holes are probably 1.5x as large as they should be. Has anyone tapped larger holes for these?  Also, the holes in the starter clutch casing for the bolt heads have been stretched out quite a bit. Will this cause a problem? Picture attached so you can see how bad they are.

Tiger

Quote from: gabossie on December 11, 2010, 10:15:45 PM
I finally got around to pulling my starter clutch today to check the bolts and it's looking pretty terrible. These guys were obviously rattling around in there for a long time. The threads on the flywheel are completely hammered. Zero thread left and the holes are probably 1.5x as large as they should be. Has anyone tapped larger holes for these?  Also, the holes in the starter clutch casing for the bolt heads have been stretched out quite a bit. Will this cause a problem? Picture attached so you can see how bad they are.

That is one ugly mess you have there... ::) I would change out the flywheel. Where are you located??
As for retapping, read this... http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=12649.0

8) .......TIGER....... 8)

Lucky

among the minutia of Vision Crap in my head is this tidbit:

there are 2 different flywheels on these bikes. 

one has the puller & clutch mount bolts @ the ssme circumfrence. (6 holes equal distance from the center)

the other has them at different distances.

if you have the first you can retap the holes the holes the clutch was first mounted to larger & use for the puller next time.

if you have the second type you'll have to ditch the flywheel or helicoil it.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Re-Vision

I can likely come up with parts if anyone needs them.    BDC

gabossie

In in Santa Cruz, Ca. Obviously I am not the first to encounter this problem. My fly has the puller holes further away from the center than the starter clutch holes. Using those was my first thought, but it just couldn't be THAT easy. If anyone has an extra flywheel they would be willing to part with, I would be extremely grateful! How about the casing on the starter clutch? I'm not all that well informed on how this thing does it's job to begin with, so I can't judge whether or not the casing will cause a problem.

Re-Vision

This is what I have.     BDC