News:

Main Menu

YOUR Vision charging system...

Started by Tiger, December 13, 2010, 06:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) I always say "its not if, but when your stator goes, when you own a Vision". I really don't think that Visions are any worse than a lot of bikes of the era...there are several with the same/similar/worse stator problems.

However, you are dealing with some variables here...

* A lot of times, Visions come to there new owners with a blown stator...Past owner had no idea why his battery kept draining...maybe just didn't really care...maybe just didn't want to shell out for a shop to fix it or had no time/patience/money to fix it themselves, etc, etc... :o ::)

One of the weak links with this area is the cheap, white, three block plastic connector. They have been known to melt...(generally because of lack of preventative maintenance)...and short out the stator. Either make sure the one on your Vision is:
* Clean of ANY corrosion/crud, etc and smeared with dielectric grease (or Vaseline)...
or
* Cut the connector out and replace it with a good quality system
or
* Use solder and heat shrink to hardwire in...Your choice!!

The R/R used on the Vision has been around for years & years...and has functioned well on many different rides. They will, eventually, go south at some point in time........You can either:...

* Go with the same type of unit
or
* Go for something like a MOSFET unit...again, your choice!!

The Vision NEEDS a well charged battery, in good condition. When your Vision comes to you with a battery of unknown age, change it out right away!!! It will save you some heart ache down the line.
Also check the condition of the two main wires coming from the battery...The battery to ground and the starter solenoid to starter...I change these out on ALL my rebuilds as a matter of course!! You can not do proper electrical testing on your Vision with a suspect/weak battery!!!

One of the things you must do, as a new Vision owner, is to disconnect EVERY wire connection on your Vision, clean them really well, smear them in dielectric grease and reconnect. If a connection is bad in some way, replace it immediately!!!

I do believe that regular oil changes help and I'm sure Lucky's oil cooler mod' will help...(things still to do, one day ;))

What you do to your Vision when you first acquire it, is critical. The right preparation before putting her on the road is vital to having a bad/good/great riding season...and really, when you think about it, this is no different whatever bike you own...Its not just a Vision thing ;)

8) .......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

The heavy ground on the R/R is also a failure point on it's own connector as well.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

don_vanecek

I was giving my bike a good going over a few years ago before taking a trip up to Minneapolis, MN and discovered the lousey plug was half melted on me! Cut that sucker off, direct soldered and I now have about 18,000 on what is my second stator, original stator going 20 some thousand (but that seemed to be good luck as I didn't know any of this at that time). Later I had my brother cut off my rough job and we put in good connectors and shrink wrapped em and did a nice tidy job.

Appears I was luckey enough to have caught this before a short occured and saved the entire system.  So check that darn plug out, if you have the skills, perhaps you may want to cut it out and redue those wires.