Main Menu

Brags

Started by Re-Vision, November 16, 2010, 07:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Longest trip on a Vision, fastest speed (Lucky will have to answer this one), anything you have done on a Vision that hasn't been exceeded by anyone else as far as you know. I may be the only one who has done a stoppie on a stock Vision. I guess I'm just bored.    BDC

Lucky

does Sex on a Vision count??  8) 8) 8)

Spectre, you could boast most parking lot circles...   ;D ;D ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

spectre

OH! wait! do you hear that? thats the sound of NOBODY LAUGHING bam.  ;D :D ;) :laugh:
coming from the guy who droped his bike at zero miles per hour.  ;D ;D
hmm... skinniest chicken strip on a vision?  ;D
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

Re-Vision

It'll count for your demise if it wasn't your wife and if it was she might not want you bragging. Reminds be of a joke I heard long ago, a lawyer was questioning a woman in court as to her whereabouts and asked her if it was true that she had been making love on the back of so and so's Harley on the 17 of August, she was silent for awhile and appeared to be concentrating deeply then she asked "What was that date again?"    BDC

Lucky

uh... you met my wife..who else would it be?, & with a mug like mine, there's a reason i'm "Lucky" lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

don_vanecek

Well I guess my brag would be that I managed to get my story, "I Rode My Vision to Colorado" published in a national-perhaps international magazine (the VJMC magazine-OK, so it's membership is only about 3000-but it still got published-in a slightly condensed from).

I guess my second brag would be one that H2O could also add, I'm the original owner of my V.

In the late 80's I took my teenage boy on the back of the V to Kansas City and back, oh about a 400 mile round trip and then took a teenage daughter with me out to North Platte and back that was 600 or more miles to a CMA rally. Always remember that in North Platte the campground was just north of  I-80 and tents don't deaden the sound of interstate traffic one bit. Then-I think this was late May or early June, a cold front came though and not having the nice gear I wear now, we had a cold trip home! Both kids did just fine of the back of the Vision, I don't think however that either one of them has been on the back of or a driver of a MC since. 

I have to chuckle, not a bragg, in the spring of 1994, I had several days where my old truck had a ball joint out, my 66 Ford wagon had an axle bearing out, my 81 citation had a blown head gasket, and the ONLY working vehicle was the Vision-BUT the Vision was on battery only as my original stator was burned out. Needless to say I made a saleman at a local used car lot happy for as long as he would let me drive home that night the 83 caprice wagon he had on the lot, he got his full asking price! End of story, I did change the head gasket on the citation and drove it several more years, fixed the ball joint had the axle bearing fixed but sad to say the Vision went to the shed for a many years rest, not on the road again for almost nine years..   

Brian Moffet

Quote from: don_vanecek on November 17, 2010, 10:15:58 AM
I guess my second brag would be one that H2O could also add, I'm the original owner of my V.

Ditto.

Hartless

i dropped my vision the day  i bought it out of the back of my truck. i also.jumped my vision on accident within the first week i drove it
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Walt_M.

Also an original owner, paid sticker for my '83 in May of '83.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Raj1988

1000+ kms on one cold day on my first multi day bike trip. Snow, sunshine, friendly Montana Hwy Patrol, 50 mph head wind (Westerly) which turned into a bloody powerful side blast once I turned north.
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

johnclemens

Not much of a bragger but, I won 4 class roadracing championships on a stock Vision. With the Shaft drive. I was laughed at when I showed up at the track. I bought 3 Visions from a Junk yard for 200 bucks. Made one racer out of the 3. With that bike and 3 different engines I had over 35 Class wins and the 4 championships. I am still the only one in our club to ever win the Class championship in they're first year of racing.
Top Speed on a 550 was 135. Shot by radar. This was a pretty fresh engine. If you think your Stock Vision is going over 130 your wrong. The gearing runs out at 120 for the stocker and 130 or so for the Euro. Your speedo may say more but its wrong.
I then built the custom framed chain drive Vision and won 2 class championships. 25 class wins up and down the west coast. 2nd at the last National street race in the US, Steamboat springs CO. It was just like Isle of Mann on a smaller scale. 6 mile track on city streets complete with curbs, manhole covers, street signs and the like.

Rode my 82 on a 4 thousand mile ride to Grand Canyon, Utah and Laguna Seca for the 500GP races in the late 80's. I put over 40,000 miles on that bike.
Wish I still had it.

I love the fact that there are a couple of original owners. Thats awesome! keep em rolling.

h2olawyer

John -

I was probably watching you at the races in Steamboat.  I lived there from the early '60s through the '80s & am back there often.  Also bought my V from the old Yamaha dealer there - Thunder Motors.  I remember seeing a stock Vision there in the early years of the race - '83 or '84.  Don't remember seeing your modified V, but I wasn't looking for one, either.  Your description of the course is great.  I had never thought of it as a "Mini Isle of Mann", but I do see the similarity.  I know the racing was exciting to watch.  They've changed the roads a bit and installed those damn traffic circles on the loop that goes around the hill.  Also, the intersection of the loop and Ski Time Square is now like a canyon since they built the Steamboat Grand on the inside of the loop.  It's a 5 - 6 story condo / hotel.  Makes that entire NW corner of the loop permanently shady.  Thanks for reviving the memory & (belated) congrats on your Vision racing success!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

QBS

'83 bought in '84,....current mileage approx. 88kmiles,........ '99 White City New Mexico to Houston Texas (1100 miles) in 17 hours,........ 13,200 ft in Rocky Mountain Nat. Prk. two up in '07,........... will red line 5th gear.

kiawrench

hmmm i do not know if i qualify for anything,,, let's see :
most gear set swaps using same euro gear set   5 ,but not doing it again(set now in 5th bike since i bought them)

most broken fingers and still riding Vision-- 4 at same time

most body repairs since year 2000- ummmm, i may get close there 
     4 bearing plates installed in neck,total of 14 screws to hold it all in place (no more squeaks )
     1 narrow plate bridge  along right eye socket ,6 pins
     5 broken fingers total
      broken ankle
      hip bone chip removed
      umbilical hernia repaired
      wrist broken , 8 pins total to repair correctly
       finger tip cut off on left hand- skin replaced ,bone fragment removed and discarded .
       75 total stitches
       road rash from hell (thank you escalade)
       and my new one-- broken nose ,(thank you lil grand daughter and her pink tonka truck) (repainted pink by guys at ford body shop)

dumbest Vision bobber project mistake: forgot to double check torque on cam bearing caps : engine grenaded at 4000 rpm and in between gears  (@30mph)

most friends found just by buying a bike (i think we all win this one )

and lastly  V rider with wife that has most reason to kick him out:   see list above(lol)                                             
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Tiger

:) Hmmmmmmmmmmm, 21 Vision rebuilds and counting... 8)

TIGER
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

lexx790

I think I must have spent the most time/money refurbishing the XZ550 side badges.
I wanted to get the original gold chrome look and gloss black background.
1st bought small pack gold leaf and glue but couldn't get it smooth.
2nd bought a gold leaf paint to put on and burnish, stayed matt looking.
Tried various other foils to get required finish, the gold foil from a chocolate bar was good until I sprayed clear lacquer on it and that removed the gold back to silver.
Tried brass shim bit it was too stiff to trim.
Cheesed off with gold so went with silver colour.
Sprayed bright chrome paint all over and hand painted the background. Looked pretty good. Then when totally dry applied some lacquer and the silver turned to grey.
Bought some copper leaf with the thinking it may be a bit thicker than the gold leaf.
With the copper leaf there was a lot more of it and so had time to test and get it looking right.
With the practice I could get the original gold leaf to look pretty good.
So the badges were rubbed down and sprayed gloss black all over. Gold leaf applied and lacquered and now they're on the bike.
Would have been cheaper and quicker to get a new set from somewhere on this forum.

darkvision

Great topic!  Kudos to all for their accomplishments.
John C, great stuff, some of your wins helped make me decide to get a Vision.
Tiger,  Thanks for resurrecting so many of these great bikes

I'm another original owner ( bought new in 1984 but not at list price! )
I'll never be the fastest rider or longest tourer but currently on the international fuel economy hypermiling website Gassavers.org , I am the top ranked motorcyclist for " % fuel economy above rating " .  I have a lifetime average fuel economy of over 52 mpg, a last 90-day average of over 57 mpg  and a best single tankfill of over 66 mpg. No brag, just fact !
Dark V