Main Menu

Your first bike

Started by spectre, November 28, 2010, 08:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spectre

I think I win the prize for smallest!  ::)
cagllary daytona 50cc 2 stroke  ;D

so, what was your first bike?
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

Brian Moffet

My first bike (you can guess the rest...  ;D )

Brian

spectre

;D sweet.  It's my first REAL bike too

lexx790

Parents had a Garelli 50 which my brother and me used. Glorified pedal bike really.

1st bike I owned was a Suzuki YB100, actually owned this bike for over 20 years.

Then quickly followed by a frame and a box of bits I bought off a mate which I restored into a Suzuki GT125.

Pictures are borrowed from other sites but are roughly the colour and condition as mine.

don_vanecek

Sad to say I have no pictures of my first bike, a 1966 Yamaha twin jet 100.  I don't really have fond memories of it other then that it didn't have much get up and go and I had to have the engine rebuilt once. I don't have fond memories or pictures of my next bike, a 1967 Yamaha 180 bonanza, again little go power and bearings out like the twin jet!  I do remember however how the 180 (all fixed up before I sold it) had an almost "instant" on with the internal electric starting it had.  Now remember, these were all used bikes when I got them. Seems either the rod or crank bearings were real weaknesses on these bikes and to this day the older two strokes could more easily have the entire motor just "go out on you" with no warning as the oil system to those rod and crank bearings does not seem to be as fool proof as the oil system in a four stroker. One of our VJMC members had his lovely GT750 go out on him apparently due to an oil line problem-but you see, you get no warning on a two stroker that the oil is not correct. He had such a lovely GT750, hope he gets to fix it back up but I think money is a bit of an issue at this time.     

YellowJacket!

Motorcycle: 1978 Suzuki DS-125
Before that, it was a Puch Moped  - I think it was 50cc or less.  Had to pedal it to get it started...and pedal it to go faster!  8)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

spectre

lexx- those are some cool bikes, are you in the UK by anychance? or someplace that has a learning restriction like a CBT?
don-yeah, you can't tell too much about your engine on a 2 stroke, especially because there is no oil pressure, but they are fun! :D
David- they had engines back then?  :o :D ;D
was that a 2 stroke or four?

Brian Moffet

Quote from: spectre on November 29, 2010, 08:45:54 PM
David- they had engines back then?  :o :D ;D

Yes, but the dinosaurs had not yet been converted into oil/gas, so they just pushed the scooters.  So the phrase Horse-Power wasn't really accurate.

Brian (bought my first bike when you were but a gleam in your daddy's eye  :o )

fret not

My first "bike" was a Cushman scooter, might get it up to 45 or so with a tail wind.  First "real" motorcycle was a little Ducati 125 Bronco.  Then on to CZ175, Yamaguchi 50, Honda CB77, Montesa 250, Suzuki 250, Suzuki 305, '71 Norton Commando, Honda 500, Honda 750, Suzuki T500, and a few other odds and ends plus a few road racing bikes(Yamaha TR2, TA250 motor in a Seeley frame, 125 twin Yamaha motor in a Grizzly frame, etc.).
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Raj1988

Mine was a what is known as a Postie bike down under. Its a 100cc motorbike with an autocluch mechanism. It would hit 85-90kmph. My second bike was a Jawa/Yezdi 250 classic. An absolute dream to ride. Made you feel like the king of the road while cruising at 60 kmph

And now the Vision :)
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: lexx790 on November 29, 2010, 02:26:09 PM
Then quickly followed by a frame and a box of bits I bought off a mate which I restored into a Suzuki GT125.
SNAP! My first was a GT125 also.  Bought with only 2000km, it had about 70,000 when I finally swapped it for a GS450S

Oz Vision

Similar to Don, a 1967 Yamaha YL1 100cc twin, when I was still at school. Previous owner had removed the exhaust baffles so it made a helluva noise arriving & leaving the school carpark. Then it was a 1971 DS7 250 - not the one I have now!
1982 Yamaha XZ 550 - 16R x 2
1972 Yamaha AS3 125 twin 
1971 Yamaha DS7 250 twin 
1987 Yamaha XJ 900F
1985 Yamaha FZ 750

lexx790

Quote from: spectre on November 29, 2010, 08:45:54 PM
lexx- those are some cool bikes, are you in the UK by anychance? or someplace that has a learning restriction like a CBT?
don-yeah, you can't tell too much about your engine on a 2 stroke, especially because there is no oil pressure, but they are fun! :D
David- they had engines back then?  :o :D ;D
was that a 2 stroke or four?

Yup I'm in the UK.
When I was 17 you could ride up to a 250cc on a learners licence, no training , just get the licence/bike and go out on the road.
Then came the japanese 2 strokes like the RD250's which changed the law back to a 125cc restricted to 12hp, unless like mine it was an older unrestricted 125.

Re-Vision

Don't remember exactly what year or how old my Mustang was but around 1956 I was zooming the streets of Waco,Tx on one of the coolest bikes (in my mind) there was. Running little machine with small tires and pretty good get-up-and-go.    BDC

Walt_M.

'71 Yamaha RT1B, 360 Enduro. In hindsight, I should have gotten a DT1 but....
Whale oil beef hooked!

ShaneSpring

My first real bike was a suzuki GT200X5, fun little machine, most importantly way faster and better handling/stopping than my best mates CB200.

fret not

Looks like some interesting histories and memories laid out here. 

Re-Vision, you fixing up a Mustang?  I have a front wheel.  Made a wooden wheelbarrow with it.  The wheelbarrow is about worn out now but the wheel is still good. ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Re-Vision

I've thought about it but reckon I will stay involved with my Visions. Vision is the only bike I've ever truly loved, kind of like a wife, good for everday stuff and you can still take them out for exciting romps occasionally.     BDC

kiawrench

my first bike was a 68 triumph bonnie 650. bike had bolt on everything , including off set triple trees and springer front end. never did have front brakes on it. bike was stolen about two years after we got it running.
got my insurance check and bought a honda 750-4. heavy thing, ended up trading that for a 69 Nova with a cassette player.have had a few other bikes since then, right now just have one vision, and a space for a Bullet on the opposite side of my little garage . (never mix japanese and british in side by side space,,,,, that's what broke up the Beatles,  (dont moan guys, you know yoko broke the band up ))
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Rikugun

Quote(never mix japanese and british in side by side space,,,,,

What about having a Japanese bike that looks like a British bike?

1989(?) Honda GB500 single
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan