Tahoe / Norcal / Oregon Route suggestions?

Started by pullshocks, January 06, 2011, 01:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullshocks

Some guys I know are riding from Seattle to New Mexico leaving July 3, 2011.  I am planning on riding with them as far as Lake Tahoe and taking the long way back to Seattle.  Through Norcal and back up the coast?  Might be a lot of traffic at that time of year.  Through Norcal up to crater lake?  Through Norcal and back up through eastern Oregon to Baker City and beyond?

Open to suggestions and meet ups with local visionistas.

Pullshocks / Mark

Hartless

hwy 101 is a nice coast route through oregon. weather isnt to nice right now though
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

supervision

I can think of many routes to suggest, how many day's you thinking of to make tahoe?  And about how many to use on the return?
" border="0

pullshocks

The others want to push down to Tahoe in 2 days since they are going all the way to NM.  I was thinking 4 days to explore norcal and get back to Seattle

funkamongus

I recommend 49, west of tahoe, for some of the best riding, maybe as good as the dragon. I also recommend riding around the lake, if you have the time ... I live in South Tahoe, let me know, if Im there Ill ride with ya for a bit...
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Hartless

Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

fret not

Be prepared for warm weather, especially lower altitudes and inland.  There are lots of great roads to choose from in northern Calif.   Maybe someone will organize a ride while you are in the area.  Going to NM that time of year is likely to be 'warm' :o
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

supervision

Fred nailed it, the heat could take the fun out of it.  I would probably go north from Tahoe on hwy 89, Mark, what style of roads do you like, are you looking for constant turns or something a little straighter? (some of my favorites, might not be what you are looking for)
" border="0

pullshocks

Thanks Supervision.  I am not an advanced rider, and I stay well clear of what Hunter Thompson called "the edge."  Not necessarily super twisty-- sweeping curves with some straightaways is cool too.  And hopefully not totally jammed up with RVs and other traffic.  The one thing I absolutely don't enjoy is long straight interstate riding.
Believe me, if you make a recommendation, I am not going to come back and tell you it sucked.  I appreciate your advice.

akvision

I rode from north of San Francisco on highway one in September... was awesome. Road surface was excellent.  I rode it relaxed and at speed limit.  Was getting passed all the time.  The only two wheelers that I passed were peddling.

I would highly recommend the route all the way to the Olympic Coast.

Going south..Ellensburg and south through eastern Oregon and on to Sun Valley then south to your destination.  Take the side roads.

AkVision, Ketchikan, AK
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska