News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

First screw-up - broke the crankshaft bolt

Started by Tommy, February 10, 2011, 01:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy

Put back together the flywheel and starter clutch, used red loctite, peened over the bolt ends. Put the idler and flywheel back on, inserted the bolt into the crankshaft, used blue loctite, and tightened it up. Must have been a little too much, and the crankshaft bolt broke...   :'(
I was able to drill a hole into the stuck bolt piece, will get one of those bolt extractors tomorrow and hope that thing comes out without problems.

What size is that crankshaft bolt, looks like M10 fine threads, 30 mm long? Can someone confirm if this is the correct part:

Bikebandit.com fiche:      12: BOLT,WASHER BASED 1280953 (7214331-001)
Yamahapartshouse.com:   90105-10152-00   BOLT, FLANGE

Or can I use a standard 12.9 grade metric bolt?

Thanks, Thomas
1974 MZ TS 150 (East Germany)
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ 'Vision' (Japan)

Night Vision

yamaha part 90105-10152-00 is correct

I'd get an OEM one because it is 'flanged" and it is quite a good sized built in washer...

I'll look around for for one here or I'm sure there are others on the ROV that have a couple kickin around
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tommy

Thanks NightVision. I'll phone the dealer and auto stores for the part if none shows up here. It looks like it is pretty common. Do you know how long it is? Grade 8.8 is good enough? I ordered a set of PROTO straight flute extractors, hope they'll do the job.

Re-Vision

Tommy

Re-Vision

Send me a direct Email please, always have trouble when using ROV Email. Bobbydcrabb1@yahoo.com       BDC

Tommy

BDC - email sent.

Night Vision

glad to see you two working it out... I spoke too soon and couldn't find a spare
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tommy

Thanks to BDC's superfast shipment of a new rotor retaining bolt, and a set of PROTO straight flute screw extractors the fixed rotor + starter clutch is back on the bike! Next is putting back the cover + stator, just need to remove all the old gasket leftovers.