Vision almost running

Started by Tommy, February 18, 2011, 10:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy

The good: Rebuilt the starter, fixed the flywheel and starter clutch, put everything back together, filled her up (oil and gas), charged the battery - she cranks like crazy!

The bad: She won't start :'(

Spark is there, petcock works fine in prime and on/res, bowls are full of gas. Took off the tank and air-filter, and there is no gas coming out of those L-shaped, downward pointing nozzles. Am I correct that a throttle twist should result in gas squirting out? Or even more so, when cranking I should see something? If yes, I'm trying to find out what the next steps are. Do I need to take the carbs off, or is there something else I can check?

Thanks, Thomas
1974 MZ TS 150 (East Germany)
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ 'Vision' (Japan)

Tommy

Yippeeh - sprayed some carb cleaner down the throat, now she is running! Starts even when warm, with the choke open. There is stumble when she is idle, and I turn up the throttle too much too fast, sometimes she stalls. But I always get her back up and running, and rode around the block a few times. What difference to my old 2-stroke 150cc bike.

Hope to get rid of the stumble soon, any suggestions are welcome. I have the airbox with the vacuum-activated flapper.

Thanks, Thomas
1974 MZ TS 150 (East Germany)
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ 'Vision' (Japan)

fret not

Well, congratulations on getting it running and actually getting to ride it.  Better weather coming before long.  I suggest reading as much as you can stand about the Vision.  There are lots of great threads here on the site to get you more familiar with the bike.  You might consider getting the CD from Lucky with the manuals and all on it. :)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!