News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Life

Started by Brian Moffet, February 19, 2011, 02:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

My dad and I share a lot of hobbies.  He and I have both ridden for a long time, he started in the late 60s, and I started in the mid 80s.  He and I shared photography as a hobby.  He would steal my camera gear to go to Laguna Seca and watch the races in the late 70s. Until I went to college, and then he had to buy his own. I play the clarinet that he used to own.

He died on Jan 28, 2011 after a short fight with a rare bone cancer.  He had just turned 75, and saw the transition from no TV to high-definition. He helped the transition in computers serving as Electronics Training Chief in the Navy. He was career Navy, spanning the Korean and Vietnam wars.

As with most children, my relationship with him was never consistent or smooth. But I became more comfortable with it as I, and he, grew older.  I found out recently that he named me. My mother had no say in the matter.  Odd little bits of information like that come out during and after a life.

Life has a way of throwing in large ups and downs.  Two weeks after he died, I was at the Science and Technical Achievement Oscars because the project I am the sole engineer on got an award for the original architect.  The award now makes ILM have the most of these awards, even more than Kodak.

Life is strange like that.  I'll be reading a bit, but I probably won't post for a while.

http://www.foresthillmessenger.com/articles/2011/02/17/life_events/obituaries/doc4d5da2c849a80654523880.txt

YellowJacket!

Brian,

My thoughts and prayres are with you and your family.  We just buried my father in law a few hours ago and the last few weeks - and I'm sure many more to come - were an emotional roller coaster for us and I'm sure you as well.

Congrats on the award, I'm sure you worked very hard for it and I know from looking at how your detailed your Vision restoration and all the photos that you have posted that your attention to detail is exceptional.

You are correct insaying that life has it's ups and downs but they give us all an opportunity to think about and appreciate what we have and what little time we have to enjoy it.  The downs, IMHO, help us learn to appreciate things more and make us better people in the end.

Take care,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Brian (and Dave)  I'd like to make an observation.  i tend to be fidgety in these situations, never sure what to say, so pardon me if i transgress..

I've been watching Dave's posts lately, & I've seen this before:  when a member here loses a loved one, they tend to continue to post regularly.  i believe having this 'family' to talk to is thereputic... (you'd think i could spell that by now huh Dave?)  no reason for you to stop posting if you have something to say, & with the range of emotions that we go thru in these situations (i lost my mom in 2000) it's fine if your even a little out of character...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Hartless

Quote from: Lucky on February 19, 2011, 09:40:49 PM
Brian (and Dave)  I'd like to make an observation.  i tend to be fidgety in these situations, never sure what to say, so pardon me if i transgress..

I've been watching Dave's posts lately, & I've seen this before:  when a member here loses a loved one, they tend to continue to post regularly.  i believe having this 'family' to talk to is thereputic... (you'd think i could spell that by now huh Dave?)  no reason for you to stop posting if you have something to say, & with the range of emotions that we go thru in these situations (i lost my mom in 2000) it's fine if your even a little out of character...

--Lucky

id have to agree, it helps keep me sane ,always  nice to be able to talk about something we all love , it takes the strain off of the negative things ( a week ago one of my buddies commited suicide). though i believe that everyone handles things different, i think it always  helps to talk to someone ,even someone you have never met and even if its about something completely different
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"