News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

CLEAN CARBS! CLEAN CARBS! CLEAN CARBS!

Started by Lucky, March 17, 2011, 09:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

All the problems i had with Kittys engine, all the problems I thought I had, all the wild goose chases I put myself thru....

Clogged main jet passage. (not the jet, there is an oriface in the passage, it was mostly clogged)
probably i had the synq & pilots way off trying to get it running too.

sheesh, & i'm supposed to be the carb guru, lol

now starts with a twist of the throttle & a touch of the throttle.
it's not charging, & i have to tune it, do the tank, paint it, do the brakes, etc, etc, but she runs.. whew!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

vadasz1

Sometimes the longest route is the fastest route.  ;)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

VFan

Quote from: Lucky on March 17, 2011, 09:34:36 PM
Clogged main jet passage. (not the jet, there is an oriface in the passage, it was mostly clogged)

Main jet passage.... isn't that out of site? If so, how did you figure that out?

Lucky

when you take the top off the carb, on an 82, there are 2 holes that look like a figure 8. one of the pick up tubes from the top goes in theis hole.  if you have a good Mini Maglite, you can see down the hole (or use one of their optical pinpoint attachments)  you will see a pressed in oraface.  make sure it's not crudded up...

Cdnlouie

That's the choke circuit you are talking about and I posted a few years back about making sure that you push a wire down through that one as it is "often" plugged. NV was just in the process of putting his back together.

I think it may be the smallest passage on the Vision carb, next to the spray nozzles. Even if it has no dirt, corrosion/oxidation will restrict the passage.  I use a piece of stainless steel wire as it is very stiff and goes through nicely  ;).

It sources the fuel for the choke from the main jet supply passage (flooded from the float bowl) and fills the tube around the choke metering rod (my terminology here), so when you choke the bike, it draws its fuel from this little reservoir. If it is clogged you don't get any enrichening  ???.

There is nothing sweeter than a properly restored set of Vision carbs!

67GTO

Could this be the problem with my 83 cold starting problem, or is the 83 carb different as far as the enrichening
circuit?

Thanks, Dan
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Lucky

Cdnlouie

Same deal on the 83. It can be really obnoxious on a cold start when one choke circuit on a carb is clogged and the other is not.  It floods one carb and leans out the other, or it will start up on one cylinder and then kick in on the other after it gets going. The fact that this orifice is deep down in the bowl makes it the most likely to collect dirt.

Note: You have to have just the right size wire to get it through as well (now I know someone is going to ask me what size it is...it is small). Slightly smaller than the metering rod hole that goes down into the reservoir. 

Lucky

That's exactly how i cleaned it & you know what i like best?
I don't have to pull the carbs to clean them! I'm about to have 4 easy starting Visions in the household! :D

QBS

This is really great information.  It's the first I've heard about the passage feeding the enrichner circuit.  Cndlouie's description sounds real familiar and answers some long time nagging questions for me.  Thank you all very much.

VFan

Quote from: Cdnlouie on March 19, 2011, 01:33:48 PM

...I use a piece of stainless steel wire as it is very stiff and goes through nicely  ;).

This is indeed great information. Where can you go and ask specifically for stainless steel wire?

TIA,
Kent

67GTO

This really is great news :)

Could someone tell me what size ss wire, and possibly a picture?

Thanks in advance!

Dan
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

AdvRich

The carb circuits are all diagrammed in the Yammer manual btw.

To add to the mix of thoughts, full flow through the passages is not only dependent on being clean, but also on the volume of vacuum being present. So if the seals on the choke shaft, which are aged/hardened, are leaking there will be bypass and less enrichment.

Lucky

Hobby shops sell stiff piano wire (or a music store)
i used a piece of tie wire .0225"

kev10104

I really have problems starting cold and even when I get her running she will die when the choke is on.Sounds like this may be the culprit.

Rikugun

I used a torch tip cleaner on mine which seemed to work well. A longer set makes it a little easier.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan