My experience with the Wind Jammer II helmet sock

Started by VFan, March 19, 2011, 03:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VFan

There are a couple of things that for me distract the fun of riding. The number 1 distraction for me is wind noise. If my ride lasts longer than 15 minutes, I often put in ear plugs in an effort to preserve my hearing for as long as possible.

I've tried various models of ear plugs but none of them work to my complete satisfaction so I decided to try a Wind Jammer helmet sock. If my memory serves me right these have been around for a long time. I bought my Windjamer off eBay for $20.50, which included shipping. Here's how it looks:

As you can see, the bottom inch ring has a silicon finish that fits tight on the helmet that provides a good seal. It does not allow any wind leaks to happen from the sides of the helmet. The advertised claims of the Wind Jammer are:

• Reduces wind noise and draughts
  • Fits in seconds
  • Attached with our new unique integral super stick silicon band
  • No adhesive or tape required
  • Made from 4 way stretch super soft waterproof neoprene

Because I think there are several variables that affect its effectiveness, I'm going to limit my comments to my experience rather than make blanket statements about the product.

By pulling the Wind Jammer higher or lower on the helmet you can adjust the size of the hole on the bottom.

It may be worth noting that when I put on or take off my helmet, I pull out hard on the straps to flex the helmet out over my ears. This sock made it more difficult to perform that action. 

For me the wind noise starts to get loud around 50 mph. To my surprise, the Wind Jammer II did very little to reduce that noise; 25% at the most.

Noted Source of dirty wind

Potential Variables:

• I have a 16 inch windscreen which essentially feeds dirty wind directly to my helmet, which may indeed reduce the Wind Jammer's effectiveness
  • My helmet is a HJC CL15; I'm sure different helmets provide different results so the lack of results may be my helmet

Warmth
A separate benefit of the reduced wind flow within the helmet is warmth. When it's in the low 30s (Fahrenheit) my ears get cold from the flow of air. The Wind Jammer II does eliminate this problem. It's also does a modest job in keeping my lower chin warmer.

Knowing what I know now I probably wouldn't have bought the Wind Jammer, but if your conclusion is different please jump in with comments. 

treedragon

I concur with your experience, I had much the same results with another brand but basically the same design. I tried it for a while, little reduction, tended not to stay on the helmet (turning into a neck warmer), and basically got in the way. I went back to earplugs.

For me the best earplugs were the ribbed ones, sort of like Michelin mans leg...........

VFan

To update my experience with the Wind Jammer II sock, I've been riding several weeks without a windscreen. I have to say that for me and my HJC helmet that the Windjammer sock performs even worse without the windscreen. In fact zero reduction in noise.