News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

starter clutch looks like a gonner....:(

Started by Hartless, March 20, 2011, 12:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartless

dont know what to do now.... when removed  everything prettymuch exploded and the clutch bolts were broken too.dont even know where the springs came from or how the rollers are placed.... post pics seperate
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

QBS

Within the last several days someone (YJ?) posted excellent starter clutch pictures.  look around.

Tiger

Quote from: Hartless on March 20, 2011, 12:37:54 AM
don't know what to do now.... post pics separate

Lets see pictures of the starter clutch and flywheel a.s.a.p We can then tell you whats good or bad buddy... :-\

You should have three rollers, springs and spring caps. With the starter clutch in place in the flywheel, you can see were they fit...spring, cap and then roller in each hole. Then the gear, that's still on the shaft, slips in to the starter clutch (do this on the work bench). This keeps everything together to reinstall...QBS is right, YJ has posted some great pictures/write up for you to follow...and I have done a couple of write ups (no pictures!!) on this too ;)

However, pictures first..........

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: QBS on March 20, 2011, 01:34:04 AM
Within the last several days someone (YJ?) posted excellent starter clutch pictures.  look around.

Nope, wasn't me but I have a feeling that that may be something I might be working on soon.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Hartless

well for some reason its not letting me post pics right now, just freezes...i will as soon as i can. its pretty toast though. the part that is connected to the gear is completely cracked and the holes are ground about twice the size as normal

Hartless

does anyone have an extra one laying around i can buy?

Hartless

also has a crack that crosses the radius at one part

Hartless

Tiger

Adam, The first picture is the gear with the starter clutch cover attached to it...The second of one of the soc head cap screw...both kaput...(the cover, not the gear is kaput).
Can you put up a picture of the starter clutch, (both sides), as well as your flywheel please... ;)

8) .......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rikugun

Quotethe cover, not the gear is kaput).

The gear doesn't look terribly happy either  :(

Should the bushing ID look so traumatized as it appears in the photo?  :o
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Re-Vision

Think you are looking at oil grooves.    BDC

Hartless

ok. i thought the were supposed to one, not seperate....ill gt pics as soon as i can

Rikugun

QuoteThink you are looking at oil grooves

OOPS! my bad  :D  :) 
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

cvincer

Does the Vision use the same starter clutch as any other bikes?                                                               

(Have already copied the list of bikes that use the same stator + that the brake caliper is the same as an RZ350)

Hartless

the last picture , is that the way its suppose to be set up?

fret not

VMX models use the same starter clutch.  From what I can see the clutch is not cracked but the sheet metal cover is trash.  You need to closely inspect the smooth part of the gear that fits inside the rollers, and the surfaces of the ramps the rollers ride against, and the rollers too.  Any washboard figure means get another part because those surfaces must be smooth to function properly. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Hartless

the rollers are fine , so is the clutch, but the part of the fly wheel where the clutch sits in it is grooved....

Re-Vision

The last picture is set up correctly with the exception of the missing sheet metal cover. A good sheet metal cover would be crimped on to the clutch as a single component (it holds the rollers in place like the flywheel does on the other side). Consider the sheet metal and the copper as one piece not to be separated. Flywheel grooving is normal though yours looks a bit rough. Check the gear surface for smoothness where the rollers contact it.   BDC

Hartless

thanks. im pretty sure im just going to get a new one. i think that i might nees a new fly wheel because the thread for the bolts are a little worn.... maybe