News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

rear tire

Started by big will, March 30, 2011, 10:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big will

Ok here is a question mabye someone here can answer
What is the widest sized tire I can  fit on the rear of my 82 vision ?

Re-Vision

Rear tire probably should be no bigger than 120/90x18 or expect rubbing against frame. Tremendous amount of information under "rear tire sizes or rear tire rubbing".     BDC

QBS

Big Will we've all been down the big rear tire road.  Most, if not all, have concluded that the stock tire sizes are optimum for the V.  Yes, some feel that they look narrow.  But few have reported that they in any way inhibit V handling.  And fewer still (actually none) report that they can or could lean a V so far over that the stock sizes slow them down.

kev10104

Tiger

:) I have a nearly brand new 130/90 x 18 mounted on a rim...that catches on the left side of the upper swing arm frame!!!!!It came in on one of my rebuilds... ::)

I go with a 120/80 x 18 rear and a 100/90 x 18 front...both AVONS...The profile of the Avon allows the Vision to roll in and out of corners/bends/twists 'n turns with ease...and they stick to the road like shite on a woolly blanket :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

8) .......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Hartless

i have  a 120/90/18 spitfire on the rear. anyone heard of a spitfire tire?lol also may be a stupod question, can you get motorcycle tires siped?
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Night Vision

bridgestone spitfires are a decent tire.... although the one I had seemed huge and I think it was the 120/90/18...

I like a fat 110 or skinny 120 for the rear and a 90/90 up front.... these things handle like ten speeds when you put skinny tires on 'em
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Hartless

thanks NV . are the spitfires tubless nowadays? just trying to guage how iold mine are because they are tubed

Night Vision

the rear I had was tubeless... the front was some kinda "Barracuda" that really sucked..
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kev10104

Correction,I have the same as Tiger

Hartless

mine handle pretty well, i scrape on turns and it hugs the pavement very well....but i have no comparison

big will

So I get the feeling a 120 is the way to go
Thanks guys

VFan

I don't think you can go wrong with the 120. It's what most everyone chooses. For reference in case others read the archives, I'll throw in a vote for the stock 110's. I live around several canyons with tight turns and comparing the feel of the 120 (what the bike came with but wasn't an Avon) to the stock 110 (what I have now) I've been beyond pleased with the 110. With the 110's light feeling and corning ability, I don't see me ever moving away from this size or tire model.

signed (odd man out),
VFan

Walt_M.

I originally went to the 120 for wear. My 110 was trashed in 4K miles. I got over 6 on my 120 and have over 4K on my present one.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

VFan, I don't think there's anything wrong with going with the stock sizes although sometimes you have to work within what's available now. Avon A26 rear tire for instance is available in a 4.00 x 18 (116mm) to fit the V's 2.15 rim. Generally you'll get the best tire profile if you stick with what the manufacturer designed to fit the rim.  The 120 AM26 is for rims 2.50-3.00.

As far as wear goes that is dependent on many things not least of which is brand. I don't know if Walt's example was using the same brand but if so, I'd be curious to learn what the weight ratings were on both tires. Trashed at 4000 is pretty dismal. My rear is a 110/90 61H with 3500 miles and plenty of life left.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

akvision

Hartless....

ON THE SideWall...right side??
There is a DOT Oval with the 4 numbers impressed.. First two are week of the year manufactured and last two are the year manufactured.

The smart guys tell me that if the tire is more than 5 years old... ride careful or toss it.

Hope this helps.

akvision
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

JohnAMcG

And if there are only three numbers, like my old tires, put down the wrench, back away slowly, and call one of those smart guys. 
-JM

VFan

Quote from: Walt_M. on April 19, 2011, 05:54:47 AM
I originally went to the 120 for wear. My 110 was trashed in 4K miles. I got over 6 on my 120 and have over 4K on my present one.

I have no explanation for this. I currently have 6k on this specific 110 Avon with just minimal wear. I do freely exercise the throttle, but 95% + of the time I'm riding solo.

Raj1988

Metzeler gave me 3500 km (forced to ride the last 800-100) on bald shiny tire on my roadtrip) but the avon road runners in comparison gave me close to 10k with better grip. My 60$ kendA has about 2000 on it with no sign of wear. I will keep you all updated

So there
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution