Finally winter is over........

Started by vadasz1, April 29, 2011, 03:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

Well to make a long story somewhat short................

Last year I got laid off in the last week of July.  So I had to park my V for the rest of the summer due to the lack of funds coming in to the household (Bills and food are more important than riding............That's what I told the missus ;)  )

Come end of October I get hired at a new job.  So the V is going to stay hibernated for the rest of the winter.  Then I found out that my fuel tank is leaking in a couple of places.  My wife wasn't too pleased to have to smell the gas aroma emanating from the garage into the house.  So the tank got drained and nothing else was done to her.  Come beginning of April I get the urge to start working on the spare tank I have, it had a few leaks as well.  Also I took the carbs off and sent them over to Cdnlouie for a complete overhaul.  He found out that the main fuel jets were installed backwards, such as the one sized for the front was in the rear and vice versa.  Also one of the mixture tubes that is in the enricher circuit was practically hanging on by just a sliver.  Meanwhile I worked on the tank and fiberglassed the bottom edges and then bondoed the seam so it wasn't visible anymore.  So I thought of putting a few liters of muriatic acid into the tank and to let it soak for about 20-30 minuted while I go out for some more sanding supplies.  I come back and see a BIG puddle of brown sludge around the tank on the cement floor.  So I rinsed it out and used JB weld to fill the pin-holes which were about 2" above the bottom edge.  Finished sanding it and gave it a few coats of etching primer.

Now a few days ago I put the tank onto bike and add fuel.  Oh yeah , I already re-installed my worked over carbs and have tried them out a few times with a pony tank.  So after about a 1/3 of a tank full of fuel is in, I walk over to the left side to see fuel PISSING out from a pinhole just ahead of the petcock boss.  After cursinf for having fuel spill onto the driveway, I drained the tank thru the petcock and applied a good liberal coat to the area around the boss as well as the inside edges of both sides of the tank.  Yesterday I pored fuel into the tank and was so pleased that there was not even a sweat of fuel leaking that I started to do a jig dance in the driveway. (My wife thought i went insane.  LOL)  So I reinstalled the tank and decide to go for a ride.  Press the START button and all I heard was ba-pa-ba-pa-ba-pa-ba-pa-ba-POW!!  Didn't want to start and the voltage was around 8.5 volts.  So I decide to bump start it but that wasn't any better.  Push the bike back to my driveway and remove the rear sparkplug.  WET AS LAKE ONTARIO.  Seems to be a bit rich on the mixture.  (I read somewhere here after doing a search for carb settings that both front and rear carbs should start at around 4 full turns out from closed.......bad idea.)  Called Cdnlouie and he told me to set them to 1.5 turns front and about 3 turns rear.  Also installed fresh D8EA NGK plugs.  Set the enricher to about half way and gave two cranks and she fired up on the second revolution.  (Insert picture of biker with BIG SMILE on his face here....)

So I put the left lower fairing back on and install my soft bags and take the bike for a spin.  Did about a 20km run an dthe rain started to come down.  Made it home and parked here in the garage for now.  She will get a much longer run tomorrow morning on my way to work.

So I want to thank Cndlouie for his teachings.  Couldn't have gotten her ready without ya, buddy.   So I will ride her like I stole her and get a final synching done no Tuesday.

BTW, I had the butterfly shaft seals replaced with BRAND NEW ones and this mother hauls ass right now.  Can't wait to see how much better it could get once she is all synched up.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

fret not

Well, that sounds like good news to me.  A little effort and back on the road again.  Here's to a good riding season for all of us! :)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

kev10104

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

vadasz1

Now the only thing to fix today is the noisy speedo.  Found that out riding  into work today.  Right in the middle of the ride it started to bounce around crazily.  Anything over 40 KPH and it would jump around past the 220 KPH mark.  Eventually the tip broke off.  Was laughing on my way in as the speedo was going around and around like a cartoon clock.  So I just kept pace with traffic which usually goes at 120 KPH on the 401.

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

vadasz1

Well I just put the speedo unit back after finding out that it has bit the dust.  The needle is completely freely moving.  The spring in the rear is completely out of its housing.  Found a bunch of metal shavings and that gave me the clue that the speedo is toast.

Not to worry too much as I have an 83 instrument cluster that I can take the speedo out of and transfer to my unit.  Or I can take the 83 unit and graft on an 82 connector and then the speedo unit can be used on both an 82 or an 83 Vision.