Introduction and petcock question....

Started by Jax, May 10, 2011, 06:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jax

Hi Guys and Gals..I'm a newbie to this site but have worked on bikes before. Just was given a Vision, the pink slip says 84 but I believe it is actually an 82...well it was running but seems it hasn't been ridden since 1994..now I was told it had been started in the past so I figure last time is was started was around 1995-1996..any ways it has been sitting in a shed and now I have it and need to get it running again.
The first thing I've done is removed the tank and I am stripping it down. I removed the petcock and noticed it didn't have that nylon, plastic filter thing. Can those be purchased or do some have them and some don't? I'm still at the point of stripping the tank and I've found a couple of holes that a buddy of mine is going to weld up for me but before I get to the point of putting it back together I thought I'd try getting one.

Tiger

:) Hi and welcome to your new and extended family... 8)

With or without the petcock filter you should run your Vision with an in-line gas filter. (Infact, any older, steel gas tank bike should have an in-line filter fitted...cheap insurance... ;) )

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Actually you need that 'filter' because they also act to seperate 'on' & 'reserve'.  they often fall off due to corrosion of the aluminum petcock from water in the tank. they can be staked back on or if the missing body material is excessive, epoxied back in.  see if it's still hiding in the tank...  if not, someone here may have one.

use a sintered bronze inline filter
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Jax

Thanks for the advice and the welcome..I'll keep looking in the tank, shaking it up to see if it is in there..I just might have to hit you guys up for that part sooner or later...