News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Close shave!!!!!!!

Started by Tiger, May 15, 2011, 08:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) I took Friday 13th off work to attend Canada's biggest (reputedly) biker bash at Port Dover. With Robert on his '82 Vision & Dave on his Suzi' 550 we set off from our meet point.

It was truly a great riding day, the sun was up and it was nice and warm. Me on point, I was happily riding away with out a care in the world. Then I realised.....I passed the turn off miiiiles back, Oops. Hey, no big deal, no hurry to get were we are going to, so lets divert a wee bit. Soooo divert we did and on to some decent roads to boot!!!

The 'close shave' came during this wee divertion!!! We are scooting along at 80 Kms (50 m.p.h.) and come in to a nice easy down and up grade with a slight 'S' bend...and a car in front of us. Coming the other way is a fellow bike brother...we give the customary left hand down/out wave, we are now on the up part of the grade/'S', up and over with a decent straight away to allow us to safely pass the car in front, twist the 'go faster' grip and....WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOA!!!...the lady in the car decides that this is were she wants to turn left :o :o Brake's on, gear down and pray..."God, please do not let her turn left, not NOW!!" We three must have been in tune...She stood her ground with the car and didn't turn left.

At this point, with my new rear Avon screaming like a wild banshee and the tail end of 'The Mistress' going about 2 feet either side of centre we came to a stop...about 6 inches from the side of her car and level with her rear wheel!!! In the mean time, Dave has shot around her inside with Robert way out wide left :o :o Divine intervention, or what!!!!!! No one hurt, no damage to anything.....but  WOW...what an adrenalin rush!!!!! It all happened so fast, I didn't have time to think...or loose a load in my knickers!!!!! We stopped further up the road and had a wee chuckle... ;D :D :D :D :D...but man  :P

The rest of the ride was, thankfully, uneventful. The day at Port Dover passed quickly. So after several hours of taking in the bikes and babes, we headed home.
Other than getting caught in a nasty thunder storm about twenty minutes from home, with no time to put on the rain gear ::) I arrived home soaked through and ready for a couple of 'wobbly pops'...and a single malt!!!

We live to ride another day...if only the rain would stop!!!!! sigh!!

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Re-Vision

If cars could only be banned. Might even solve the oil problem.     BDC

kev10104

It's a shame I had to miss it.I had work booked off but had to take the first two days of the week off with a nasty cold(which I still have)so three days off in the week might have been two much to afford.But I thought I was going anyway until the babysitting issue came up and when the wife says "looks like I am getting f#$#@% again" I knew I was screwed.I would never have heard the end of it.In my first 33 years of my life I resisted marriage but had no bike then.I don't think I would be married now if I did lol.Glad you guys had a good time.

vadasz1

It was a day to remember for sure.

I started to get worried when I noticed we were heading closer and closer to St. Catherines.  I thought to my self that John just wants to take the scenic route to Port Dover.  Well once we stopped and checked my GPS we were about 75 kms. due EAST of Port Dover.  All in all it was a wonderful 3 hour ride.

Besides getting the shite scared out of me, when I saw John's rear tire just about to ignite from the amount of rubber smoke coming off of it, and hoping the girl in the car would see me and NOT turn left INTO me, it was a fantastic day.

I made it home at about 4:30-ish and was dry as a bone.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Lucky

Did she signal?

I always assume they are turning left (have you read your "Oath" lately?) & give a flash of the lights and/or a toot of the horn when i pass...  i like that Euro flash-to-pass button :D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Lucky on May 15, 2011, 10:09:39 PM
Did she signal?

I always assume they are turning left (have you read your "Oath" lately?) & give a flash of the lights and/or a toot of the horn when i pass...  i like that Euro flash-to-pass button :D
Lucky you could wire your horn into the flash-to-pass switch - when would you ever want to flash but not toot?

mdskinner731

"close shave-better buy barbasol"  :o ... lol jk jk glad you guys made it  ;D
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on May 15, 2011, 10:09:39 PM
Did she signal?

:) Down the dip, up the rise, brake lights, signal...Ohhhh SH**E....brakes on/clutch in/gear down/pray...rear tire squealing/rear end fish tailing/concentration on avoiding death/injury/both, 100%.......no time for horn blowin' I'm afraid ::) ;D :D :D :D :D

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Lucky

Sorry my friend, but i gotta fault you on this one...  if she had time to signal & brake, you should have too.... you were too close or too fast, or both.

you have to be able to anticipate the cage...

Re-Vision

You sound liked H2o Lucky, always the riders fault. The Saudi's have it figured out, don't let them vote or drive.   BDC

vadasz1

Lucky you have it all wrong.  The girl decided to turn left as she was just about 30 feet from the intersection.  I was farther back and "givin' it" to catch up to John & Dave and when I noticed this happening I couldn't stop in time.  The only option I had was to go left and to stop ASAP, which happened to be 5 Feet infront and to the left of the car.  John did a fantastic job of keeping her up and stopping behind the car.  His dual front brakes sure work better than my single front brake.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Lucky

I guess i'm just having a hard time picturing it...
intersection's comming up so everyone is slowing down... her turn signal is on too.. i guess i'm missing something. 

are you saying she went from the 'going straight' lane to the 'turning left lane' at the last second? and you guys were going left?

Lucky

And Bobby, H2O is right, it is always the riders fault...

Tiger

:) Just to clarify here...My late father used to say: "When you point a finger at someone, three point back to you", therefore, I have to take a certain amount of blame for this near incident!!!

This was on a narrow two lane paved side road...as in one lane each way. We went down the dip, came up on to the straight section, (which was a good 700 yards to the 'T' intersection), prepared to over take the car...at this point the woman applied her brakes /left signal and stopped dead with nothing coming the other way!!! It all happened so quick :o Had the woman turned, then I would have been in big trouble, as would my two co riders. Thankfully she realised what was happening and stayed put!!!

Once Dave and Robert had gone either side of her, at which point I was stopped with my front wheel level with her back wheel, she moved forward and made her left turn down a side road.......and off she went in to the blue yonder ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Tiger on May 18, 2011, 06:12:41 PM
This was on a narrow two lane paved side road...as in one lane each way. We went down the dip, came up on to the straight section, (which was a good 700 yards to the 'T' intersection), prepared to over take the car...at this point the woman applied her brakes /left signal

In case anyone is interested, this is why the double yellow lines start 500 feet (I think) around any intersection you're coming up to, at least in California and on roads where they are striped at all.  The idea is that you don't want to pass anyone near an intersection.

Not pointing blame at anyone, just clarifying an interesting little rule in the California road striping...

Brian

Lucky

i think i understand a bit better, & i'm glad you all walked away uscathed!