News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Maden voyage on "new" motor

Started by supervision, May 15, 2011, 10:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supervision

Yesterday dawned kind of cloudy and cool but I was up early for the first ride on my fresh bike. This thing starts and runs perfect. I went out to
Cathey's Valley, and decided to eat some breakfast, mainly to give it time to warm, up and for me to get an idea of the weather and where to go next. I figure I'll just go to Mariposa, and go North on Hwy 49 that way if the weather gets grumpy, it won't be too far home. As I rolled into Mariposa, the first thing thing I see is a couple of OLD INDIANS, then I look over at the gas station and the place is full of INDIANS. They say their having a rally, and next stop is Colterville, I tag along These bike were fun to watch most of the people had never been on Hwy 49 before. When we arrived in Colterville, They had them parked on both sides of the street, This was their lunch stop, I found out their was 100 bikes! I met people from Australia, Washington, New Mexico. The next check point was down in La Grange, I rode along, It was nice and cool, these bikes were running!!  Next stop was back up in Cathey's Valley, I said I can go for that! It was only like 2:00, when we got their, so road with them on to Ramond. I could have gone up road 600 with em, but it would have been a much longer ride home, so I double back and went home, on the way I still saw endless groups of INDIANS most of my ride home! 
" border="0

fret not

Wow, that's pretty cool!  My older brother had a '51 Indian single in the early 60s.  Traded it off for a NSU at Irv seaver's in Santa Ana.  We could almost squeeze 70 MPH out of it, and it WAS cool at the time. 

I can only imagine seeing 100 indians at one time, probably some magazine folks along with them, and if there weren't there should have been.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

supervision

After doing a search of the event. I found out that this is an reenactment of the age old Harley/Indian  racing rival back in the day. There were about 10 Harleys their also. I found last years vid from Australia, these people are nuts! Some of these guys were constantly racing each other, I'm thinking it was kinda weird, but now I know why they hate to lose to the other brand! I was back there watching, and breathing the large amounts of exhaust, and loud pipes. I road about 175 miles with the group. Google a picture of a bike called SUPER CHIEF. This is a bad ass machine
" border="0

supervision

Saturday dawned, and the call of a fresh Vision, was too much to resist, so I took the back road to Valley Springs, Ca. It was about 70 degrees by 10:00, and the roads were full of Harleys. I made a loop around the small towns of burnson and campo seco, enjoying the old buildings and oak trees, and greeness  of everything. I went to taco bell for lunch, gassed up the bike next, and got a remarkable 50 mpg! Headed on home and by then I had a total of 400 miles on the new engine. I noticed the SHINKO tires are going away fast, that's ok I don't think I'll by more of those, They were super cheep and at the time I liked that I could 2 to the house for only $100. The only way have been able to ride them is with very low air pressure, and have left the house with only 25 pounds air to help them heat up and stick.
" border="0

supervision

It wasn't necessary for me to attend work today, so you know me, the guy with the fresh ride, I went right back out to Valley Springs, Ca. and took the Hwy 26  East. After it crosses hwy 49, it become one of the best rides in the area. I have recently come to realize the roads in those Counties are in better shape, than in my area, so I am going to be doing more riding up there than used to.  I have been hitting so many pot holes and bumpy pavement lately, that I had forgot that roads can actually be smooth. I turned right on Ridge road, took it over to Railroad Flat, went through Willsevile and over to West Point. Then I went back on 26 to the Ridge road again, but this time when I got to Railroad Flat I turned right and went don through Sheep Ranch and back down to San Andreas. I turned south on Hwy 49 for a Taco Bell in Angels Camp. After lunch I road back through Jamestown, and Snelling , totaling 200 more miles on the 50 mpg GEEKMOBILE. 
" border="0

Lucky

I'm glad your having so much fun!!!  :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

supervision

Thank's for the reply, Lucky, I hope your feeling better?  I think Sat I'm going up on Hwy 108, it's called Sornora Pass, just opening for the season.
" border="0

VisionMeister

You dirty dog. Ridding on a work day, and in my back yard.
I like to take Hwy 26 uphill from Moke Hill all the way to West Point area. This way you don;t have to brake hard, engine braking into an uphill decreasing radius turn works great.
Take the right to Wilseyville and go down the grade to Railroad Flat. If you are still feeling fresh, you can return to 26 via Ridge Road and do another lap. Otherwise turn left for Mountain Ranch and San Andreas.
I've been meaning to check out some secondary routes (as in one lane potholers, Dogtown Road) between Calveritas and Angels Camp to avoid Hwy 49 tourist traffic 
Also at West Point try going straight up Winton Rd. to the fire station and beginning of dirt roads. This road was built by the Winton Lumber Company and is designed for logging trucks so the turns are very predictable. At the end you either have to turn around and come back (18 miles each way) or adventure bike it over the forestry roads to Hwy 4 (12 miles).
Another interesting ride to nowhere is Blue Mountain Road, watch out for the chop shop tweakers and meth labs. You can hear banjos playing out there in the wilderness. On second thought you may enjoy a pants down adventure.

Enjoy the area. Keep on riding.

Ron_McCoy

Go ahead guys and torture me some more while I can't ride. It snowed here yesterday but otherwise the weather has been great for riding. How does the new engine compare to the old one Dave?

supervision

Hey Ron I been meaning to call but my phone minutes are low. Saturday a friend from work and I went up 108 and tried to go over Sornora Pass, 250 mile ride got snowed on, Froze our ass's off, should have turned around sooner, but the pass area was so awsome, and beautiful, and the snow is huge!! Now I a minor case of frostbite, on my right hand. On my engine though, It is stronger, and these carbs are so much better, zero stumble, never felt my vision run this well! Engine is silent too, and not a drop of oil. Only thing I need to do, is remove the tank and find out why my  fan quit working, I must have forgot to plug in, or connection problem. Also my speedo is crying out at low speed, so it needs lubin, and I need to switch to a smooth choke rod, as this one has some crust on it, and hangs up on return stroke, front carb. Just minor stuff like that. I am needing a new set of tires. I might try Conti GO's, size 90/90 and 110/90. You know anyone who runs them?  Hope your feelin beter

" border="0

Ron_McCoy

I ran a Conti GO on the back of my ST 1300 and got less thsn 4000 miles before it was completely worn out. I'm running Bridgestone S 11 Spitfires on the Vision and I'm very happy with them. Glad to hear the new engine is such an improvement. I'm doing much better. Just need to get these braces off my neck and body.

Ron_McCoy

Sorry, my mistake. That was a Conti Motion on the ST.

supervision

Barb ordered me a set of Conti GO'S  this morning, I been wanting to try them, just have to be the test mule myself. Glad to here your improving.
" border="0

supervision

Got my tires on, and went for a little test ride. They feel like what I was after, quicker steering, less mass. Also got back to, 5,000rpm @ 55mph. Looking forward to a real ride, on them, maybe Sat.
" border="0