News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Compatable wheels / front forks!?

Started by visionbobber, May 27, 2011, 10:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visionbobber

Hey, was looking at different wheels... http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/2404282070.html This guy says his 81 yamaha xj 750 wheels will be compatable...Any thoughts?

Also--I was thinking about new front forks / triple trees for the bike--anyone have any luck with this? 

I am just looking for fun mainly--I can't do anything of that sort until I get the bike running. 
quitters never win

The Prophet of Doom

The only forks that have the same diameter and spacing are RZ350, you can confirm this by looking through the fork brace application lists.
No advantage in doing this, you will decrease your trail and slow down your steering

visionbobber

ahhh so putting a r6 front end would be a mistake....hmmm...looking at the rz350 makes me want one so badly!  Yamaha has done some really cool stuff pertaining to motorcycles!  I will admit...2 strokes scare the crap out of me....maybe I'm the only one that feels that way.
quitters never win

QBS

Putting some other bikes' front end on the V isn't necessarily a mistake (ask Ron Mcoy or John Clemens) and definitely can, and has been done.  However, for several reasons, the stock V triple tree will not allow virtually any late model forks to just drop in and bolt up.  The primary reason being the relatively small diameter of stock V fork tubes (think almost 30 year old design parameters).  Another significant issue concerns fork trail numbers.

To keep the good handling trail number and get more stout forks requires the custom manufacture of a fairly trick triple tree.  Notice the word "custom", as in roll your own.  Highly experienced racer/ fabricators can do this sort of stuff on their own without a huge amount of trouble.  Never the less, even for these guys, a lot of thought and careful design is required.  The up side is greatly improve braking and handling.  I suspect that for the majority of V operators the stock front end is more than adequate.  Braking can be improved in several relatively easy and inexpensive ways.

visionbobber

I don't just want new forks, I would want a new triple tree as well...  The triple trees on the Vision aren't exactly beautiful...
quitters never win

Lucky

Vbob,
QuoteThe triple trees on the Vision aren't exactly beautiful...

no offense, but when your bike was first introduced to the board a few years ago, that was the general consensus about your bike as well...   :o :o ::)  :D :D ;) ;)

:edit:
my bad, it wasn't introduced to us, your bike was in Cycle World several years ago.. http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=5114.msg42867#msg42867
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: visionbobber on May 29, 2011, 06:56:43 AM
I will admit...2 strokes scare the crap out of me....maybe I'm the only one that feels that way.
I've had three 2 strokes - including an RZ350 I bought in 1987 to replace my first XZ -   It was psycho crazy quick and I spent far too much time trying to keep the front wheel on the road.  It's nastiest trick was lifting while powering out of corners and going mono on a tight bend is a lot less fun than it sounds.   

I sold it fairly quickly figuring I would either kill myself, or lose my licence.