News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Digital dash build log

Started by Extent, June 13, 2011, 10:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extent

So I'm finally graduating this week, and now it's time to start reclaiming some of my life :p  So I thought I'd take a bit of break and pick up a project that I've been wanting to work on for a long time, replacing my Sigma bike computer with something that looks nicer, and is a lot more functional.

Design goals are to have a core unit with a component cost that should come in well under 50 dollars (excluding the display), and it should be a drop in replacement for the existing vision speedo module with as little new wiring as possible.  I'm building the prototype with a daylight readable OLED display, but I want to keep the code modular enough that it could interface with any other display type, like cheaper LCD screens, or even really cheap character LCD and 7segment displays.

Feature set for the initial prototype:
Speedometer
Settable odometer
Resetable trip counter
Resetable ride timer
Max speed attained
Overall average speed
Rev counter
Voltage monitor
Realtime Electrosport test (trigger test points automatically based on RPM while riding)
Battery drop-out warning ( <10V while cranking )
Gear position indicator
Log ride data to SD card

Potential future ideas:
Dimable power tap for LED gauge light replacements with daylight detection
GPS for data logging and speedo auto-calibration
IMU for data logging
- lean angle indicator with peak hold
- Acceleration and braking G meter with peak hold
- Accelerometer dyno
Misc sensor logging
- Coolant temperature display/log
- Oil pressure
- Oil temperature
- Steering angle
- Throttle position
- Braking force
- Clutch position
- Suspension travel
- Neutral switch
- Exhaust temp
- Regulator temp
- Ambient temp
- Airbox vacuum
- Float level
Shift light
Programmable rev limiter ( launch control? )
Turn signal pulser with auto-cancel
Bluetooth for configuration and log download
Rev gauge intercept for log playback
1/4 mile timer

I've already been testing the individual parts on their own, so now it's time to start pulling them all together and having them do something useful.  Hopefully in the next few days I'll have the beginnings of a benchtop prototype.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Re-Vision

I'll be amazed if you can do all that for under $50. Good luck!     BDC

shoetbus

That would be awesome hope it works out I will be in that line, That is assuming you plan to sell a few.
82 Vision
83 Maxim 400
78 BMW R100S
90 Honda XR250r

Extent

Quote from: Re-Vision on June 13, 2011, 10:27:23 PM
I'll be amazed if you can do all that for under $50.

Ha ha, no just the brain for that amount, sensors and connectivity are on top of that, but that's where all the heavy lifting occurs.  The fully assembled dev boards for that + LCD and 7seg add up to about that much, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do parts for a dedicated board for cheaper.

I will be posting schematics and source when it's built, and I'll probably have to batch order the PCBs, so I'll have extras.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kev10104

The Prophet of Doom

Could you add display/logging for a couple of wideband O2 sensors and a knock sensor while you are at it.
I think some of those sensors need 5Volt, so a circuit for that would be handy as well.

Lucky

Quote from: roro on June 14, 2011, 04:10:58 PM
I think some of those sensors need 5Volt, so a circuit for that would be handy as well.

and of course, 5V is USB, add Bluetooth & a bottle opener & yer all set!
;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D ::) ::)

Mid Life Crisis

and of course, 5V is USB, add Bluetooth & a bottle opener & yer all set!

While you are at it, perhaps tire pressure monitor, ambient temp guage dvd and of course sat tv.  Then we could call it a yamaha "Cadill-Vision"  ;D

Seriously,  That is COOL!

Walt_M.

I'm not sure when this post became sarcastic?
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

I weasn't being sarcastic, (note the ;D ;D :D :D ::) ::))
I think it's TERRIFIC!  :)

Re-Vision

Think maybe you ought to enroll at whatever school Shoetbus is graduating from. Lol. I'll buy one when you get them in production.     BDC

Lucky

QuoteThink maybe you ought to enroll at whatever school Shoetbus is graduating from.
what does that mean?

Walt_M.

I thought it started with the first
Whale oil beef hooked!

Re-Vision

It means that you'll likely get your concept gauges when you build them.   BDC

Lucky

do a search of 'guages', you'll see why i'll never build them

Extent

Finished doing the whole display interface library, which ended up being just over 1,200 lines of code alone.  I won't need even half of the functions it supports, but I figure better to have them.

Almost all of the chips I'm using require 5v supply, so that won't be a problem.  I should have about 3A to play with on the supply, but I don't expect I'll use more than a half amp at most.

Basicaly the same things that the Veypor does, or the one that YellowJacket posted, but without the big fancy custom LCD.

I'm not building directly with Lucky's guages as a design, but I'm trying to keep them in mind as I do my own.  Plain bar graph LEDs should be quite a bit easier to interface with than a graphic panel

Lucky

The Prophet of Doom

Great progress.   I think the LED are a better choice than LCDs anyway - easier to read and more in keeping with the period.
If it fits in the stock housing I'd be very keen for one of these.