News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Just an update

Started by munkyfistfight, June 16, 2011, 08:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

munkyfistfight

I haven't posted a real update on the Blue V lately. My personal life and work schedules have been extremely hectic and conflicting. I ran Warrior Dash in Scranton last weekend and this next weekend is my little sister's wedding. After this weekend is over...well, I don't think I've ever had this much free time. :-P

The other day, I went over to my mom's house (where the V is currently imprisoned). I had pretty much removed the rear section of the wiring harness with the sole intention of cleaning every connection that I could find. Then I got suckered into helping my mom with getting some of the wedding preparations done, so late at night when I finally got back to putting it all together I was already tired and frustrated.

I WD-40'd everything. Took all fuses, switches, relays, etc. off and cleaned all connections. I sanded and cleaned all the grounds. I reattatched everything and hooked up the battery (fully charged) and flipped the switch. And it just cranked and cranked and cranked and backfired a little and cranked some more and eventually got nothing.

Then something weird happened......for no apparent reason ( the key was still in the ignition and in the on position) the tachometer jumped ALLLL the way over and there was a buzzing noise somewhere. I couldn't figure it out.

Sweaty, frustrated, and defeated, I unhooked it all again and called it a night. I'm going back over there on Monday with a fresh perspective and new attitude.

The charging system is brand new. I have 2 working TCI units. It's gotta be something in the middle.

Oh, and my turn signals stopped working.....

I'm going to spend some free time in the next couple of days going over the Haynes manual and the various wiring diagrams I've printed out to find the culprit.

I've really appreciated all the help I've had thus far.

The weather is gorgeous here and I can't wait to get it on the road. Hopefully before July. I have some friends planning a ride in a couple of weeks.

Also, by chance, did I happen to see someone on a black Vision going North on I-79 today? Maybe it was my imagination.

Ride safe!
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Night Vision

I have a black vision, but it wasn't me   :laugh:

I have a wiring harness lying around that I hope I'll never need  (knock on wood)

don't know if it'll cure your ills, but if you want it for shipping,,, you can have a go at it....

I hate to see you miss a ride with your buds
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

FYI it took me maybe 45 minuets to change out the wire harness when i first had my bike, & still a novice. it's not that hard to do...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:police: After standing for a while, you need to put the petcock to 'PRIME' and allow the bowls to fill up before you try and start her... ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!