News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Side Stand Switch (Fight with Insp. Shop)

Started by KoenigsTiger, June 22, 2011, 09:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoenigsTiger

Hi Everyone!!!  ;D

So I recently moved to the "great" Ontario.  I am from Alberta, out there we have to safety inspections for bikes.  I had the Vision since 2002, I never had a kick stand switch on the bike.  Today after the inspection I am told that I need one to pass.  Luckily there is switch available near by for $75... Of course I will be disconnecting it once I pass the inspection.  In the 9 years I had the bike, I left the stand down once or twice. It came up by itself and everything was fine.

When I get the switch, where should I be looking for the plug/ or splice to wire it back in? Does the switch mount on the back side of the kick stand mount(switch is not visible), or does it go on the out side?

I would get a cheap used switch on ebay, but I have 10 days to pass inspection.  Have to spend $75, for nothing.  :'(

Thank you very much!!!  ;D

P.S. Haynes is the only manual I have...
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

The Prophet of Doom

If you check Haynes wiring diagrams you will see that the non-US models do not have a sidestand switch.  My 16R Australasian version for instance has no wiring for it - no relay, no plug, no wires, and to retrofit one would be a pain in the bum.

Don't know about rules in Canada, but down here they never force you to retrofit equipment - if it passed regulations at the time of first registration, then you are good for the life of the vehicle.

The Prophet of Doom

And... I can tell from your picture that you don't have a US model
Theres a list on Wiki or the model numbers that you can match to the number stamped on your engine

Re-Vision

Could send you a complete kickstand with switch. Don't know about Canadian Postal deliveries with the strike going on. Switch cable is about two feet long and appears to run to the harness somewhere behind the battery box.     BDC

KoenigsTiger

Yeah, that's what I asked the mechanic too.  I told him that its a Ausi/Canadian model.  He owns a 86 Maxim, and says its got to have one.  I'll check the Haynes, and show it to him, hopefully that will get them off my back!  Thanks a lot roro!

Re-Vision, thank you!  Are you in Canada by any chance?  The Postal strike is well timed.  I found a switch in the US on ebay for $20 shipped.  But I have the 10 day time limit.  I know the temp plates have the 10 day limit.  But is it also 10 days to repair the bike?

Thank you very much Gents!
Gene
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Raj1988

Tiger is in Ontario and so am I... i'm sure we could rustle something up . i am in waterloo/kitchener and he is in Erin
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

The Prophet of Doom

Don't take this as gospel - I live on the other side of the planet but just for fun I tried to find the Ontario regulations. I figured there would be a "manufactured from" date but actually could find no mention of a side stand switch at all.  Here's what I was looking at http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900611_e.htm#BK12

I'd be inclined to ask your tester to show you the regulation that he is rejecting you on - either in the statutes, or an approved inspection manual or some such.  If he can, look carefully for a "manufactured from" date. If he can't then complain like buggery.

I get this sort of problem all the time.  Mostly the inspectors are pretty retarded, hate their jobs, and have a poor knowledge of the regulations especially as they apply to older vehicles - I had a certification guy tell me my stainless brake lines were illegal because they weren't stamped with D.O.T.  which was just made up bullshit.  Only because I demanded the evidence did I get my cert.

Tiger

:) Bring your ride here and I'll set you up buddy.....no charge 8) I'm in Erin...between Guelph and Orangeville (Ontario).

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

KoenigsTiger

Thank you very much Guys!!!

I am in Borden, the Air Force base, just beside Angus.

Gueph/Orangeville is pretty close from here.  Erin, do you safeties?  I already gave $50 to these guys....

roro, thank you for doing all the research for me !!! ;D

Yesterday, the inspection shop told me that there is a switch available 30km.  As soon as I left I ran out of gas. The reserve didn't last long enough, I had to push for a few hundred meters  ::)

So I was a bit tired last night.  The Haynes manual shows that only the US models have the switch!

The safety tech, did agree with my yesterday that is a Ausi/Canuck model.

So I maybe able to convince him to pass it.

And the Regulations only mention the following:

(2)  In the case of a motorcycle manufactured on or after the 1st day of September, 1974, the stand or stands shall automatically fold rearward and upward if the stand or stands contact the ground when the motorcycle is moving in a forward direction.

I didn't find any mention of stand switches!

Thank you roro for finding this for me....  :laugh:   

That's one bad a$$, avatar! Very distracting! :-*

The Ausi/Canadian models, have the switch or no?

I'll go there tonight, and bring up the Canadian model, and the regulations.  Hopefully that will change their mind.

Thank you very much fellas!
Gene

'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

KoenigsTiger

I was as that shop today.

The mechanic was now saying that the models for Canada and US are the same.

When I reminded him that its a Australian/Canadian model.  Then it became an import from Australia all the sudden.

I didn't actually see that mechanic, I was talking to the receptionist that was running back and forth to the back(service area).

When I showed him the regulations, that there is no mention of a side stand switch.  The receptionist went to the back and, the manager came out.  And begun showing me  2011 KTM dual spot bike and the spring action of the stand. The he told me its at the discretion of the mechanic to pass a bike.  When I mentioned the  Regulations he said "will call the Ministry of Transportation right now".  I replied: yeah lets call them.  After that he said, call them your self.   

This if becoming quite interesting.  The MOT is already closed, I'll call them tomorrow.

The chances of me passing inspection at this place are quite small now...  Now its all about the principle.   

I am not 100% sure where there AUS/CDN models at all?  1982 XZ550

In the Haynes it has wiring diagrams for '82 US models

German models and others don't have a stand switch, only the US shows it.

Which variants were there RJ, RK?

Thanks guys!
Gene
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

The Prophet of Doom

There's a list of model numbers on Wikipedia which you can match up to the serial number on your engine
I'm not sure it's 100% accurate when it comes to US / Canadian models, but 16R for Australasian 11U/11V for European is correct.

Stick to your guns.  Here, they can lose their license to do safety inspections if they are found to be making judgements outside the regulations.  It's a great stick to have

KoenigsTiger

roro,

Yep, I looked at my VIN, "16R" Australasian model XZ550R.  Read the Wiki, interesting contributors to the design...  ;D

I wonder how that made into Canada....

I am going to call the Ministry of Transport tomorrow, and get some answers, and file a complaint,...

My neighbor here has a '70 Kawasaki 500cc  2 Stroke, 3 cylinder...  This thing has no signal lights at all. He is going for a safety(to the same shop) on Saturday. I told him my story and wished him good luck.

Thanks for all the support roro!
Gene

P.S. Your avatar is mesmerizing....  ::)

'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

Brian Moffet

First thing before you do anything, Call Tiger.  (send email).  He has rebuilt 20+ of these bikes and gotten them through safety checks.  He can really help you get it on the road and is going to be a great asset for you.

Second.  See item 1.

Brian

KoenigsTiger

Well, I won.   ;D

I got in touch with the Ministry of Transportation Enforcement Office.  One of the Enforcement Officers had a "lengthy conversation" with the inspecting shop.  I don't have to have a side stand switch!!!!!!!!

I mentioned their ignorance and attitude, asked him if I have to bring the bike again there.  If I showed my bike again, they would find something, wrong just as payback.

He told me, if the switch is the only deficiency, then they should issue a pass inspection report, with out the need to bring the bike in again.  And call him back if there were issues.

Of course when I showed up, the manager or whoever he claims to be.  As soon as he saw me, said that they will pass the bike, but I have to bring it by.  I told him, that the officer told me.  His response was, that the bike may have gotten a "flat tire or a signal light bulb burnt out."  I told him, that I will call the officer again.

I fully expected this, but I still won the argument.  You don't need no flipping stand switch to pass inspection!!!  They are making their own rules...

I will get in touch with the officer tomorrow.  Fax him the inspection report. He should be able to call them and make them give me a pass.

Well, this is good experience.  I love sticking it to f#*k heads like these clowns.  This "manager" didn't even look at the regulations, when I tried to show them to him.  I wonder if they are apart of the Better Business Bureau or something. This is small town, so they don't care much for customer service.  I'll find a way to blacken their reputation.

Thanks for all the help guys! 
Gene

P.S.  I'll let you know how it works out!

'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

QBS

Tiger

:) SUPERB buddy... 8)

Of the 21 rebuilds that I've done, only one 'failed'......The new owner took it to a local garage and when he returned was told it failed because of a clutch problem!!!??? The 'mechanic' explained and then showed Dave that he couldn't ride it because the bike would cut out when he put it in gear. Dave laughed, jumped on the Vision, fired her up, put her in gear,  PUT THE KICK STAND UP and VOILA!!! 

Out of shear bloody embarrassment the mechanic 'failed' her again!!!....... "for having brake pads under the safe legal limit of 1/8"!!!!!"

The garage is two minutes from my place, so Dave brought her straight around here. The pads were fine...however, I put brand new front pads in and within 20 minutes Dave was back at the garage for his pass cert'...LOL

Needless to say Dave doesn't use that garage anymore..... ::)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

KoenigsTiger

Yep, Tiger!

I am certain that's why this flipping shop wants me to bring it back.  So they can find 10 things wrong with it now.

The "tech" said it was the cleanest bike he seen of that year.  I am sure this will change in a blink of an eye, once I bring it by again.

The "tech" isn't some 21 year old kid, he is about 50 years old, has a '86 Maxim.  I hope they learned a lesson on stand switches.

But, never give up never surrender!  I hope the officer can help me  :police:

Thanks guys!
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

George R. Young

I've had 2 safety checks done in Ontario, one at a motorcycle shop (Ottawa BadTime Center) and one at Canadian Tire.

The bike shop 'found' a bunch of 'problems' and offered to fix them for a 'small fee', just sign the work order. For example, the Vision steering head, which was a tapered roller setup and adjusted to 'no drag, no play' was too loose in their opinion. Of course, I tweaked the bike myself and brought it back to them, and they got to check it again included in the initial price.

Canadian Tire had no vested interest in selling motorcycle parts or repair labour, and the bike (EX250) passed with flying colours. Much more positive experience.

JohnAMcG

I don't know what they have up there, but if its anything like here, you can slap historic plates on it, and promise to only ride in parades.  No inspections, no smog checks, no problems. 
-JM