East meets West Trip planned for July - Anyone on my flight path?

Started by Cdnlouie, July 02, 2011, 08:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cdnlouie

This is my biggest adventure tour I have ever undertaken and I am "hoping" to make it to the west coast of Canada via Indiana, Illinois, Iowa (maybe Kansas instead), Denver area and then up into Yellowstone, Missoula area over to Seattle maybe and then to Vancouver, Canada. This is the "idea" for spending about 3 weeks just riding across the continent and hopefully back to Toronto with everything I left with except "tire rubber."

Anyone on my "flight path" that wants to run a few miles with me is welcome and anyone that might be a back-up for that potential mechanical trouble scenario, would also be an extra bit of comfort to know. Anyone up for a coffee along the way, breakfast/lunch or dinner would love to meet ya all?  Put a face to the Vision  :o, etc.

This trip is on my "Double Vision," my 85 Venture Royale as I need the luggage capacity and some of the extras that go with a full-bore tourer.  So I won't be able to raid anyone's parts supply, but having a friend nearby is better than a brother far away  ;).

I'll share more of my itinerary with anyone who might be interested in sharing the journey or even a part of it.

Rikugun

That sounds like an awesome trip and I think you chose the right bike for the job. I'm sure you'll see some amazing scenery along the way. Hopefully ExxonMobil will have cleaned up their little Yellowstone River oil spill by then too.....  :o  :(

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Raj1988

fantastic plan.....
very envious... don't miss out on Montana, Chase the sun.

I think 3 weeks will be barely enough time for a full out trip unless you have atleast a few 800-1000km days!
There is just so much to see and photograph and ppl to chat

break a leg!!!!
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Brian_Matthewson

When you get to Vancouver, you have to go to the top of Mount Seymour. Fabulous view of Vancouver and the lower mainland. Just ask a local for directions to the Second Narrows bridge, then on the north side, east of the bridge, look for Mount Seymour Parkway. You won't regret it!
Have a great trip!
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

Kenny

Three weeks is more than enough CLouie. Raj for the Vision 25th I rode the Vision to Denver and back in 5 days.
I wish I had the time to go with you, but for the next month I'm off to Italy again.
   I just returned from Rhodes, Greece was their for the long w/e  and rented a 650 Aprilia and toured the island,once ccwise-then again clockwise (around 250 klm ea time) What a great spot. And I was getting paid to boot ! ;)
                    Cheers  Ken S. :D ;D

2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Cdnlouie

I'm pretty jazzed about the trip too!  ;D I wish I knew what kind of mileage I can get from my Avon Venom X's.  This is my first set (from Dunlop Elites) and just no idea if I can make the trip on my current tire with about 6000km on it.  I have a new one, just debating to go to the hassle of flipping off the almost new one.  When you start tearing up the pavement the rubber begins to disappear fast!  :-\

Raj1988

Not sure if it helps but fully loaded for about half the time, i got about 10,000kms from my Road Rider.
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Kenny

Hi CL, :D
      I would bite the bullet, put on a new tire before you leave home-then their will be no worring about where to buy a tire on the road. Did you know that the chances of having a flat are greater with worn tires?  By the time you get home you will need to put on the one with 6000k. I have been running up near 10,000k each time I go out west & back. B.C. interior not the coast.
          My 2bits worth.. Ken S. ;)
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Re-Vision

I had already thought about suggesting that you change tires before Kenny posted, I think he is right. Better safe than sorry.    BDC

Cdnlouie

I agree with you both and thanks for chiming in  :).  I have the rear going on now, and as I am looking at the front one I do believe that it would be best to change it as well.  So I still have time to order up the front and get it on.  Then as you both say, you just don't have to think about it.  Well worth the peace of mind!  I needed that push!

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Cdnlouie

Hey Rick! Your name is still on my bucket list  :).  Can't do it this time, dropping down as far as Denver then heading north again.  I've got a connection to make in Surrey BC this time, but this will wet my appetite for the west and see if I've got what it takes to get there.  I still look at all the fine brochures you sent me a while back, so I'm definitely dropping by your place.

Thanks for the invite,

P.S. got the rear tire on and front one arrived today (yahoo!) so will get the tire irons out tomorrow and flip that one on.  I need to mark the tread measurement down of the new one for future reference and mileage estimating  ??? for future trips.  Darn handy when you got a big trip planned .

don_vanecek

When you coming buddy, bed and breakfast in Blair, NE for ya if you come this way, already told you that last winter!

Let me know if your interested so we can get down to details.

Rode the V down to my brother's house in Omaha today, turned over 40,000 on the odometer, should be more but the Vision took a 8 year rest from about 1995 to 2003. We then went by cage to the neatest air show in Tarkio, MO. One of the planes flown in the show was a WWII navy corsair, I was flabergassed to actually see one them and they then flew it over us for about a half hour. What an air show that was! I can't believe there are more than a few of them in flying condition and then at an air show in this little town in Northwest Missouri at this little regional airport.

Kenny

Hey Ya!
   CDNlouie,
   Any updates on the "Venture" to points West ??
                  ;) :laugh:  Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

pullshocks

How soon are you going to be in BC?  If I can get a passport in time, I might be able to meet you up there.

Cdnlouie

Hey fellas,

I'm back! Still diggin out from my work but made it in one piece (bike & me). Thank-you Don for your offering I almost made it to your place, but things did not quite come together in my travel timing.  I will have to save the visit for my next trip and it was spectacular.  I loved the prairies, the mountains, the heat (triple digits in NE), the rain (constant cloud cover in the mountains), and the challenge of keeping the two wheels upright. I had three "interesting" adventure moments which keep you close to God.

The first one was coming up out of Colorado and just crossed into Wyoming.  Pulled over to take some pictures and enjoy the smell of "sage" in the rain moistened air. I parked on the shoulder (a rather sloping one) and upon departure gave the (very heavy - 1000lbs loaded) Venture a tug to the upright position and realized that I didn't need to give it a tug as it was already almost upright.  Well you can guess what happened?

I pulled the Venture upright alright and the tug kept it going over to the right side whereby my footing was not close enough to the ground to stop it until it was well over with the weight too much to bear and so I flipped over the side into the ditch and the two wheels were in the air! Oh, happy day! I think I cracked a rib in that movement (right handle bar hit me in the chest on the way over) as it's still sore to the touch.

Here I am in the boondocks, no civilization, no cars and way too much pea pebble on the roadside to even get my feet positioned to even attempt a lift.  So along comes a truck and seeing this as my last hope I flag them down and out steps a woman (  ::) not my first hope). Well she is an angel in disguise and we actually get the bike up and back on it's feet again.  Off we go merrily down the road again!

That was fun  :laugh:! Let's not do that again! (a couple of more stories to follow).

Night Vision

wow, can't wait to hear about your other two moments.. that was a good'in.

got pics?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano