Main Menu

Stator replacement

Started by Donkey, August 14, 2011, 01:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donkey

Hello Everyone,

I have '82 xz550 that I just put a new battery in.  After about 50 miles the bike started to loose charge and after shutting it off the battery was too weak to restart it.  I've also been noticing a metallic noice from the left side of the trans/motor that increases frequency with RPM.  As far as I can tell the stator is the culprit.

My questions are:
I'm looking at buying the Rick's Motorsport stator from Dennis Kirk; any feedback on this brand?  Any other brands recommended?

What gaskets are needed and what other parts are typically replaced or upgraded while performing this job?  I've read oil, filter, side cover gasket and a connector from Tiger?

I've been reading about Tiger and his parts; does he have a list of everything he offers?

Thanks.

Rikugun

That list of parts you mentioned is a good start. Buying the connectors from Tiger is a good idea as good connections are as vital as the quality of the other 2 main components comprising the charging system.  I'm using a Ricks Motorsport stator and it's performed well so far.  It only has a few thousand miles on it so I can't speak to its longevity but the consensus is no stator lasts forever in a Vision.

I installed a new R/R (regulator/rectifier) at the same time as the stator and would recommend it. My R/R happens to be a MOSFET design which I'd also recommend with the same caveat of no long term test data.  As a general rule, with these bikes in particular, changing one component and not the other sometimes means a shorter life for either or both. ie The death of component A often brings about the premature demise of component B by putting more stress on it. Conversely, the slow death of A may bring on the sudden death of B. The unwitting owner replaces B, unaware of A's poor health and both components end up croaking shortly thereafter.

If you're hearing mechanical noise from the area of the alternator cover expect to find at least a loose (often damaged) starter clutch and maybe balancer shaft nut. A search will find much info on the subject.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Donkey

Thank you so much Rikugun.  I'll follow your advice.  Regarding the MOSFET rectifier, where can it be purchased and is it any more affordable?

sunburnedaz

New ZX-10s. ZX-14s, newer CBRs and R1s and R6s all have them if you want to scrounge one up.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

QBS

There is a very strong possibility that you have starter clutch attachement failure.  Do a search on that subject and be prepared to reattach/repair the starter clutch.  Once correctly done the repair lasts a very long time/is permenent.  The labour to do a stator replacement is about half of what a starter clutch repair takes.