questions about running a 83 vision shaft drive upside down......

Started by buk, August 13, 2011, 12:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buk

hello :D

im modifying a yamaha vision frame to accept a bigger engine and ive hit quite a snag... for the bike to drive forward i had to flip the rear end :/

i noticed there was a breather at the top of the shaft drive case.. i will drill and tap that out and put a bolt in it.. 

as far as i know that's the only place where oil was leaking from when i flipped the rear end over..  any thoughts about what would happened (if anything) if i ran the shaft drive upside down? hopefully it wont be an issue.. so far it looks like it would be fine :/

do i need a breather hole? what is the proper amount of gear oil required in the drive shaft case.. do you think the amount would be affected because i have the rear end flipped? is there such a thing as overfilling the case with gear oil?

for a breather i thought about making one similar to the stock design..hole with a cap to keep foreign objects out but still let the case breathe..

thanks..
jay

visionbobber

isn't there a way that you can just turbo charge your original engine? 
quitters never win

buk

Quote from: visionbobber on August 13, 2011, 12:35:25 AM
isn't there a way that you can just turbo charge your original engine? 

the engine going in is turbo charged  ;D ;D ;D

visionbobber

quitters never win

fret not

If you have too much oil in the rear drive it can puke out on the tire.  That makes it squirrely.   
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

buk

Quote from: fret nut on August 14, 2011, 12:04:53 AM
If you have too much oil in the rear drive it can puke out on the tire.  That makes it squirrely.   

that wouldn't be fun at all :-X

any other comments? getting started on the rear end tomorrow i guess.. :/

Extent

if OE has a breather I would be sure to have one in your inverted setup, the designers don't go putting holes int he cases for kicks :p

I've never opened the rear end up so I don't know what the internals are like, I would worry about baffles and whatnot, but if the internals are fairly symmetrical I'd say it's probably fine.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Tiger

:police: Apart from the breather hole, have you thought about the oil filler/level system that is already employed?? Also, if you flip the rear swing arm, you will have to remove the 'U' part that attaches the swing arm to rear shock and weld it back on...and the rear brake will be on the left side, like an old Brit bike. You won't be able to mount a wider rim/tire than you already have on a Vision.......am I missing something here :-\

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

buk

Quote from: Tiger on August 14, 2011, 07:39:17 AM
:police: Apart from the breather hole, have you thought about the oil filler/level system that is already employed?? Also, if you flip the rear swing arm, you will have to remove the 'U' part that attaches the swing arm to rear shock and weld it back on...and the rear brake will be on the left side, like an old Brit bike. You won't be able to mount a wider rim/tire than you already have on a Vision.......am I missing something here :-\

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)

yeah the stock rear tire will have to do :/ ive yet to to open up the casing nor do i plan on doing that.. bleh

the U part is already removed and it will be rebuilt...

we shall see.. the bike isnt a vision anymore :p it just has the vision front end and the vision drive shaft :p

yeah i saw the brakes flipped will prolly rig up the clutch lever to be the new rear brakes :/

i guess i will just run it and see what happens.. if i got oil spewing out then ill lower the oil level if something doesnt feel right then ill add some oil :p

QBS

To avoid over filling, drain the gear lube out, invert the unit and refill with the recommended amount of lube.  Maybe you could use the drain hole for a combination filler hole and vent.