News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Thinking of Buying

Started by Glyn Pickering, November 11, 2003, 12:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn Pickering

My first post to this site. I've had about 20 different bikes in my time and am looking at buying a middleweight shaftdrive bike afer selling my 650 Honda BROS. (Can't handle the chain
and race croutch position anymore). As we mostly know the choice is quite limited, and mostly to older bikes. Can anyone tell me how the XZ compares to say a CX500/650 Honda for handling/ reliabilityand vibration. I've had CX's in the past, really liked them but the XZ looks alot lighter and flickable, but I am worried about long term reliability.
Oh yes - I live in New Zealand - so they must be also good in the rain!

regards
Glyn Pickering

RussD

Hi Glyn.......Welcome to the forum!

If you're a handy guy with descent mechanical skills, & enjoy tinkering, this would be a great bike for you.....When she runs right, mines a lot of fun to ride! It's my first bike, and I think she's just right for me to get broke in on......spunky, but not too much, and she handles very nimble. ?
 ?
If you're pretty much a mechanical novice like me, it can be an extremely frustrating bike to own. I'm OK with the nuts & bolts stuff, but this bike has a lot of electrical issues, and I'm like a deer in headlights when it comes to electrical stuff!! ? ? ?
 ?
In fact, she frustrated me so much 2 weeks ago, that I finally put her up for sale. Then last week, I had a fun day riding her....She ran GREAT, so go figure!? If you're good mechanically......these guys on this site know this bike inside out & can be a huge resource for you! Several of them have been a big help working me through my charging problems (knock on wood, I'm hoping we're almost there!)

Not sure about the rain bit, as I've only had mine out in bad weather a few times, and since I'm a newer rider, took it VERY easy, but I'm sure some of the other guys on here could give you a better opinion on that issue.
2005 Governor Cup Champion Toledo Mudhens

Lloyd Cooper.........the best coach a Michigan opponent could ask for!

'82 Vision (Sold???)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572170463
'98 Honda Blackbird/CBR 1100XX

Rick G

I've ridden in the rain in Minnesota and here, in Oregon. I've put extensive miles on it in the rain  and I find it very stable and predictable.
The CX 500  is top heavy and not a great handler, the Vision handles very well , a fork brace  makes it even better. The vision a one generation newer than the CX500  , while the Honda 650 Hawk, is one generation newer than the Vision.
As to vibration , the Vision has a counter balencer and is much smoother than the CX500. Its even smoother than a SV 650 Suzuki, which of coarse, is nearly 20 years newer. There are issues to be addressd on a Vision , but then, there are on most old bikes ( and far too many new ones too) You will find all the answers  here, as well as a source of parts. This forum is one of the main reasons to buy one of these. Riders of other old bikes flounder around trying to get the answers, to get or keep there ride running, but for many there is no source like this one ,dedicated to their bike. many Visions /XZ550's have run  35, 50, even 85 thousand miles so the long term potential is very good. Welcome aboard
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

If you haven't already done it, read the postings under the Vision Why title. I've owned my '83 since '84.  It's not for sale.  The primary reason for these positions is very much like you stated in your initial posting.  Light weight, no chain, and very comfortable ergonomics.  With the possible exception of the 800 cc Suzuki VS800 (I think that was its' designation, but I'm note sure), there hasn't been one bike over the last twenty years that does what the V does and feels so comfortable doing it.  It's really hard to beat the '83 V fairing.  The Suzuki had no such fairing and I'm not aware of one being available for it.  Frankly, if a comparable bike came along I'd probably buy it.  But until then, nothing suites my needs Like the V.

I don't know for sure, but one serious problem you may have would be the local availability of parts.

Cheers.

Rick G

Thats the VX800  and I like them too! I saw one in  MN  , at first thursday, It was for sale for 2300.00 it had a nice fairing on it  and hard bags . The owner was a wrench and had riden it to Alaska and back. The only hing that stopped me from buying it , was, I only had the 300.00 part in my toy account!  The VX 899 is porbably a little better long haul bike  but not nearly so handy in the twisties,  as it has a longer wheelbase. Still its  a nice bike !
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike