News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Replace Rear shock

Started by rockinjer, September 09, 2011, 06:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinjer

I have been thinking about getting rid this old 82 shock that i have, i have read that you can use a YZF600 mono shock and it also lifts the back a little  :) but i was wondering where you mounted the reservoir bottle?
1982 XZ550

don_vanecek

Ok, here you are, right next to my "A MAN'S FUEL FILTER" not one of those little wimpy things everyone else uses!

don_vanecek

here are some more pictures, a side by side comparison. 

don_vanecek

One more, installed in the bike.

don_vanecek

Now, how well does it work, well it gives you a pretty stiff suspension, I'm not sure I'm qualified to say if it is better or not although I have now had it on for two summers and I don't plan to take it off. Parking is a nusiance and I carry a piece of 2x4 with me for the side stand, I will advise you it was a bear to install.   

rockinjer

Thanks don that is exactly what i needed, just a few pics to work it out in my mind before i buy one, i like the filter lol i have one that is similar in size.
1982 XZ550

don_vanecek

I just had to rib the guys on that, certainly if I had a really good looking bike I would get a small one that could be hid, but I don't care and my set up with the on, off switch (the red thing above the filter) has served me well for years and years.

Here's a picture of the other side of my bike taken about two weeks ago, notice how far the rear tire hangs down and I need that piece of 2x6 to put it on a center stand. I needed a rear tire after my trip to western NE in late July and a dealer just happen to have chung chen barracuda in stock, I will bet he was glad to find a buyer for it, I will bet he's had it a year or more,but $59.00 plus installation and I didn't want to wait for an Avon, BUT notice him similar the tread designs on the chung in the rear and the Avon on the front, interesting I thought-I wonder who copied who??? It seems to work fine but I will bet it won't last too long, seems to be pretty soft rubber.     

67GTO

From here it's down hill all the way :)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV