News:

Main Menu

Overheating???

Started by Woz111, September 11, 2011, 01:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woz111

I stripped down and cleaned the carbs up blowing all the jets clean and inside the carbs with an air-compressor and then fitted them and fired the bike up with fresh petrol, she idles okay but starts to flutter/dying around 3000rpm she also get HOT very quickly, do these bikes get hot quick? If not it makes me think what could be the cause, valves? or an electrical fault as the rev counter flicks up when the bikes not even running which can only mean an electrical surge going through the harness. Could it also be overheating because the seals in the rear exhaust pipe, the Y pipe's leaking?
Honda VF750SC "Sabre" 1983 fully rebuilt.
Yamaha XZ400D 1986 Partially rebuilt.

Lucky

if you look at the metal coolant hose connection under the tank (3 wires which are 2 sensors & a ground)you will also see a bolt on it. this is an air bleed bolt.  make sure the system is completely full, no air bubles coming out the bolt.  clean the sensor connectors & ground connector too. one sensor turns on the fan, one runs the temp guage.  make sure your fan comes on when the guage reads near or at the red.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

Use the flats on the coolent connector to back up the probably corroded bleeder bolt removal.  Wrap the bleeder bolt threads in teflon tape before putting the bolt back in place.

Lucky

Good Tips, also, spray the bolt with PBlaster a few minuets before lostening it up.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kiwi

I flushed out the radiator when i got my bike.  The fluid inside was pretty nasty.
It certainly ran cooler after i did.
I used a radiator flush from a parts store.  You put it in, run 50 miles or so with it in there, then flush it out with a hose.
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Woz111

I think I found the problem, I took the carbs out again and gave them another overhaul, I then found where the mixture screws are, tucked away on the right just above the mounting boots??? Stupid place for them as you can't get to the right one??? Anyway, the left one was screwed in almost all the way and the right one is all the way and tight as hell, I can't get it out? I've sprayed it with easy out for tonight and I hope she eases out tomorrow, if not any suggestions?.
Honda VF750SC "Sabre" 1983 fully rebuilt.
Yamaha XZ400D 1986 Partially rebuilt.