Main Menu

I bought a boat

Started by Hartless, September 22, 2011, 02:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartless

its a 15ft 1968 montgomery wards seaking with a matching 45 hp outboard. i picked it up in running floating condition a couple weeks ago for $350 including the trailer. needed a new prop (bought on ebay for $41) and possibly a new prop shaft. i know if the shaft is bent i should replace it, but if it doesnt vibrate ( didnt when i took it for a test drive) then im not going to mess with it because they want $120-$400 for one! anywho, i most likely will take it out tomorrow for my maiden voyage. thought i would share a couple pics!
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Hartless

Hartless

Hartless

and doggystyle.... sorry about bad quality pics, i have recently downgrade to a crappy phone

Brian Moffet

Congratulations, you now have a hole in the water to throw money into :)  (I have a hole in the air to throw money into)

67GTO

That boat would look cool being towed by my 67 GTO :)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

don_vanecek

Don't be too afraid of going though the carburetor on that old engine, they are very simple. If you have any problems with it not wanting to run at high speeds you will most likely just find some junk such as old gasket material in the bowel gumming up the high speed jet.

Good luck with the new money pit, er, I mean, classic old runabout!

Hartless

Quote from: don_vanecek on September 22, 2011, 10:39:59 PM
Don't be too afraid of going though the carburetor on that old engine, they are very simple. If you have any problems with it not wanting to run at high speeds you will most likely just find some junk such as old gasket material in the bowel gumming up the high speed jet.

Good luck with the new money pit, er, I mean, classic old runabout!

actually that was the first thing i did. when i tested it it had a little hesitation, actually it was similar to the vision stumble haha. when i got it apart i was amazed how clean it was, it ended up that the previous owner had it running too lean. i hope thats what it is, i have only ran it in a bucket of water. i should find out tomorrow. definitely not going alone. i also have four paddles waiting lol
oh and B:bust O:out A:another T:thousand....but i am hoping the T stands for "twenty" instead.

Brian, you have your wings, or are you an r/c pilot such as myself?

Hartless

Quote from: 67GTO on September 22, 2011, 07:51:01 PM
That boat would look cool being towed by my 67 GTO :)

speaking of, you should post some pictures of your goat. they are my favorite. my dad used to have one, sweet midnight metallic blue, with a 66 389 quadra jet.....it was sweet. he got it by trading a dirt bike for it! i wish he still had it.....

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Hartless on September 22, 2011, 11:50:22 PM
Brian, you have your wings, or are you an r/c pilot such as myself?

Me and my airplane.  Been flying since 1996 or so

Hartless

is that a piper? have a hard time naming the civilian planes

Brian Moffet

It's a Stinson. Piper bought the company around 1949 to put them out of business.  This one is a 1946 Stinson 108.  Seats 4, 165 HP engine, cruises around 115 miles per hour.

Brian

67GTO

QBS

Brian, how gallons/hour at cruise?

don_vanecek

Oh memories of my friend Tom's  67 goat he had from 1968 to about 1970. He had found a used red convertable with white interior, a four speed, AC, perfect car with about 20,000 miles on it. BUT you know, back then it was basically just a nice car, what you used to get to school and back, work and back, insurance costs were though the roof and at the end he had a minor fender bender with lapsed insurance, the car soon disappeared. Only got to drive it perhaps two times. Very slick shifter, stiff suspension, nice power. 

But ohhhhhhhhhhh, that was a nice GTO when he first got it!!!!!!  It would be a VERY desirable goat were it to still exist today.

Oh oh, this post sort of shows my age doesn't it!!!

Hartless

i was close, looks very similiar to a piper.
that Goat is pretty sweet. does it have the 4 speed and a 400?

Hartless

oh yea forgot to mention. i took her out for the first time last night and she did pretty well. staarted off a little rough though because the motor kept stalling. figured out the fuel line was kinked inside the bilge.after that she ran good with the exception of a slight hesitation upon accelerating. just needs some fine tuning. oh and i ran into the dock when i was bringing her in....im a noob haha. no damage done. she went about 30 mph with myself my dad and my girlfriend and about 200lbs of gear :) im excited to go fishing!

Brian Moffet

Quote from: QBS on September 24, 2011, 12:21:48 AM
Brian, how gallons/hour at cruise?

10 gallons per hour. It's not what I would call the most efficient airplane.

nice GTO :-)

Brian

QBS

Looks like a lot of fun.  Have you ever taken any multipassenger overnight or long distant flights with it?

67GTO

It's a 400 with a 4 speed, 3:55 gears. Pwr steering and brakes. No AC

( I like this triple conversation: boat, plane, and car) :)