News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Going to Keep It

Started by PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ, September 22, 2011, 07:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

I'd never even ridden a Vision before I picked one up on eBay for about $385. It needed a lot of work. After getting the carbs sorted out, the regulator/rectifier, stator, and starter all replaced, adding a braided steel line to the front brake along with new pads and shoes, rebuilding the master cylinder, improving the suspension with fork emulators, fork springs, and a WP monoshock, new rubber, stainless fasteners, blasting and repainting it, and Sargent rebuilding the seat, I have a heckuva bike. I'll keep it now. It was worth it--barely. I've ridden a lot of interesting, enjoyable bikes (CBX, GS 750, CB400F, CB750F, 919, GS425, Moto Guzzi Breva 1100, Honda Hurricane F1, Interceptor, VTR, Duc 748, GWing, XS650, etc.), but there's still nothing quite like a Vision. It's a shame Yamaha gave up on it. If their marketing people ever visited this site, they'd bring it back.

QBS

In your heart you know you're right.  Patience has its' rewards.  Yes, the V is an exceptional motorcycle.

Hartless

if you dont mind me asking, how much $$ have you put in to it?
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

Probably $3K in parts, easy. My labor was "free". Restoring an older bike usually isn't worth the bother apart from what you learn, the self-confidence you gain, and the satisfaction with the result. But, you know, the Vision was worth it.

Hartless

Quote from: PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ on September 24, 2011, 07:36:56 PM
Probably $3K in parts, easy. My labor was "free". Restoring an older bike usually isn't worth the bother apart from what you learn, the self-confidence you gain, and the satisfaction with the result. But, you know, the Vision was worth it.

yeah the satisfaction is definitely my favorite part. i have had so many people tell me that i should just get a new bike and quite working on the V, but i have decided that i will probably have this for as long as im around...maybe give it to my kid or something. plus i am only in it for under 600 bucks haha....lots of work to do though

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

And once you make the repairs needed and overcome the deficiencies of dead batteries and bad tires and leaking petcocks and toasted electrics, these old bikes prove themselves to have been remarkably well engineered. They look better and are just more enjoyable to ride than most cruisers and sportbikes today. So if you have the money and time and enough skill, they're worth it.

QBS

Couldn't have said it better.  Spot on!

Tiger

I reckon that 'The Mistress' stands me around $4,500.00 and she is worth every dime I have spent...This old girl was built for me by me and not for resale. Up-grades include: Custom spray job, custom saddle, full fairing (twice  ::) don't ask!!! :-[), four sets of saddle bags until I settled for the Krausers, American '83 gold rims, givi top box, Vision chrome rear rack, fork brace, '83 forks, '83 rear shock, '83 rear sets, '83 foot brake pedal, '83 gear shifter, MOSFET r/r, Wolf exhaust system (MAC's before that), recent '83 engine with 2,500 mile on it!!, etc, etc.......and this does not include my labour and 'consumables'.......spark plugs, brake pads/shoes, 3 x stators, 3 x r/r's, oil's/coolants, filters, etc, etc. 

LONG LIVE THE VISION... 8)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Hartless

Quote from: Tiger on September 26, 2011, 03:26:37 PM
full fairing (twice  ::) 

LONG LIVE THE VISION... 8)

isnt that because you dropped it out of the back of your truck...or something similar? :)

VFan

Quote from: PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ on September 24, 2011, 07:36:56 PM

I haven't kept track but I bet I have over $1.5k into mine.  The only thing that it really needed was a thorough carburetor cleaning and a new stator.  All the other parts (mostly new or NOS) are just my nostalgia trying to make the bike like former times.  Definitely not mandatory.

I like the style of older bikes and I like the feel of a mid-sized bike.  You can't buy a mid-sized shaft drive so with all your upgrades it's like you said you have "heckuva bike."

VFan

Lucky

I have no clue how much i've spent on my Visions, & i probably don't want to know, my wife doesnt & I KNOW Daves wife doesn't either! lol

it's like asking "how much have you spent on your kid?"
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

VFan

YellowJacket!

Suffice it to say that I could have probably bought a nice BMW or Kawasaki Connie but just wouldn't be as happy as I am with my Vision.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Cdnlouie

Amen and Amen!  ;D Pete, glad to hear your Vision is in payback mode! Mine just makes me smile because it just always works so well.  There is something about investing in the Vision that just adds confirmation to the feeling of "No Regrets!" It is one of those motorcycles that truly does deliver a payback that makes you say "I'd do that again!" The interesting phenomenon is that it will probably only remain an enigmatic motorcycle  :-\ that few people understand, except those who have actually lived the experience.

To each of you who have crossed to "the other side (project finished)" with your Vision...enjoy the ride, it's terrific!  ;)

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

Has anyone ever read Peter Egan in Cycle World claim that with all the bikes he has bought, restored, and sold again (Triumph Bonnevilles old and new, DR650s, Ducs, Nortons, KZ1000, CB400F, etc.), they've only cost him a few hundreds dollars all told? Yeah, right. I think that's hilarious! I wonder if his wife Barb is buying that. At least it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one that has overspent on these old bikes. Thanks guys!

QBS

If one focuses only on the age of the bike vs. the $ going into it, the deal will always look pretty stinky.  However, if one compares the performance/function of the old bike (and its restored cost) to a reasonable facsimile new bike (along with new bike cost), sometimes the old bike can complete the mission at much less cost and sometimes even in a superior manner.  This is true as long as owner ego and that "new bike feel" are not part of the mission.

In this scenario the V can be very competitive.  Its' engine is arguably quite contemporary AND nothing
on the market in its' mission category has.....Shaft Drive.  Shaft Drive is worth A Lot.

pullshocks

I really enjoy Peter Egan's column every month.  Hats off to him for having a big garage full of cool project and non-project bikes and cars, and a spouse that is cool with it. 

He seems to buy and sell motorcycles with strong collector/enthusiast followings, and he moves in circles where people have a lot of money to spend.  Factor in the bubble economy (remember that?) and he probably has done pretty well over time, even if "a few hundred dollars" seems like a stretch. 

Speaking of Cycle World columnists, have you been reading Mark Hoyer's tales of keeping a 1954 Velocette on the road?  It makes the life of a Visionary sound downright easy.

When I got back from my trip this summer (see Going Riding section) I had a pretty high level of frustration with the Vision, and was ready to sell it and move on.  After watching the Craigslist ads pretty closely for 3 months, and now that i have the V running well again, I am kind of on the fence.   For all its well known issues, the '83 Vision is kind of unique in its combination of riding position, fairing, shaft drive, and moderate weight.   What would I get instead?

The Concours 1000 is a possibility, but weighs 670 lbs.  When I get the chance I'll ride one and see how noticeable that is.  The V-strom 650 seems cool, but has chain drive.  So do my mountain bikes...why is that such a big issue in my mind?  The BMW R1100 and R1150 bikes have loyal followings, but as you research them, they have their own issues and scary-expensive replacement parts (but at least you can get them)

Which kind of leads back around to the "few hundred dollars" thing.  Outside of wear items and consumables,  I am into this for around $1500, including snagging a few hard to get spare parts when they became available.  I was lucky to receive a fair quantity of spare parts with the original purchase, and that helps too.

So not that bad in terms of $.  Time is another story -- I hate to think how many hundred hours I have spent working on the Vision.    But what's done is done, and at least I understand the bike pretty well, and know how to work on it.  Any other bike I get is going to need some work, and there would be a whole 'nother learning curve.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.  It is fun to ride.

So I may be keeping mine too.  Not completely sure.  But I might.

VFan

Quote from: pullshocks on October 09, 2011, 04:34:20 PM
For all its well known issues, the '83 Vision is kind of unique in its combination of riding position, fairing, shaft drive, and moderate weight.   What would I get instead?

Well, it certainly isn't a Honda NT700V. On paper, the 700V looks like the perfect modern update to the RK; v-twin with shaft drive and nice protective fairing. It seemed like best selection to get the same experience but with the latest technologies. This past spring I was ready to spring for one. The dealer in my area had some competitive pricing for theirs. Then I road one. What a boat!

Quote from: pullshocks on October 09, 2011, 04:34:20 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot.  It is fun to ride. 

So true

Regards,
VFan

QBS

One of the problems with being the care giver and feeder of an RK is that after you get them close to being well sorted you come to realize...and appreciate...how much of a well balanced, all round excellent sport touring bike it truly is.  When this happens you are hooked and any other M/C is now problematic.  I think that there two primary reasons for that.  One is that the V weighs less than 500 lbs. and the other is shaft drive.

Of course, the power and torque characteristics of the engine are wonderful but they would for naught if they had to motivate a 600+lb. bike.  Soichero Honda had a philosophy about MC design: Light is right.  If I may be so bold as add to his position I would say "Light is right in so many ways".

I will not seriously consider anything that weighs over 500 lbs.  This is sad because there are some really neat sport tourers out there but they all weigh a lot more than 500 lbs.  But if you look at what is available that weighs <500 lbs., you loose the shaft drive.  As a long time chain drive rider, before I got my R60/5 BMW I thought I hated chains.  It was later, after chain maintance chores suddenly disapeared, that I truely hated chains.  It would take a pretty special chain drive bike (perhaps equiped with a full coverage chain guard) or a belt drive BMW ST800...problems: bring$ and it weighs >500 lbs.... to interest me.

So that is the conundrum of the RK, and really RJs' too.  When well sorted, they will complete just about any mission on road motorcycling has to offer.  Many of you would be amazed at where I've taken my RK off road.  But now the V is old and often in need of being refilled with more "good".  Those that recognize the wonderful balance and performance of the V, and are patient enough to resurrect it, are richly rewarded.

Tiger

Quote from: QBS on October 10, 2011, 11:46:10 PM
after you get them close to being well sorted you come to realize...and appreciate...how much of a well balanced, all round excellent sport touring bike it truly is.  When this happens you are hooked and any other M/C is now problematic.   
Those that recognize the wonderful balance and performance of the V, and are patient enough to resurrect it, are richly rewarded.

Oh so true... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!