News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Long time reader, first time poster

Started by auditt241, September 29, 2011, 10:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

auditt241

Just wanted to introduce myself, considering I've been reading this forum for months desperately trying to get my bike working (but now I got approved so I can post!)  I own a Silver 1982 Vision with about 3800 miles on it.  Thanks to this forum, I was able to get it running "perfectly" after installing a fuel filter and cutoff valve, among other things.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for helping me!
1982 XZ 550, 4100 miles, totally stock (I did add a fuel filter though...)

QBS

You are very welcome.  Study up on starter clutch reattachment.  At 3800 miles, you've still got time, at 20,000 you don't.  The problem starts as a light, deep engine, rhythmic tapping that disappears at 2500 rpm.  It eventually escalates into a terrible knock from deep within the engine that sounds like a really bad crank shaft or rod bearing. Kinda like the engine is fixin to throw a rod just any second.  Many Vs went to early graves because of misdiaognosing the cause of this noise.  From that point the problem develops into a fractured starter clutch housing, with significant damage entailed. Throughout this entire process the noise always goes away above 2500 rpm and the bike operates as normal.  Starter clutch operation deteriorates along the way.     Welcome aboard the Forum.

VFan

Welcome audit241.  In terms of reading before posting I did same thing. There is some really good stuff out there. What's most fortunate about this forum is that the true XZ550 experts (BTW, I'm definitely not one of them) have stuck with it are still active and engaging on this forum. You have access to the most skilled Vision experts available in the world right here.

Best of luck on the bike.

VFan

artbone

Quote from: QBS on September 29, 2011, 12:09:31 PM
You are very welcome.  Study up on starter clutch reattachment.  At 3800 miles, you've still got time, at 20,000 you don't.  The problem starts as a light, deep engine, rhythmic tapping that disappears at 2500 rpm.  It eventually escalates into a terrible knock from deep within the engine that sounds like a really bad crank shaft or rod bearing. Kinda like the engine is fixin to throw a rod just any second.  Many Vs went to early graves because of misdiaognosing the cause of this noise.  From that point the problem develops into a fractured starter clutch housing, with significant damage entailed. Throughout this entire process the noise always goes away above 2500 rpm and the bike operates as normal.  Starter clutch operation deteriorates along the way.     Welcome aboard the Forum.

I had the problem just exactly as you describe it on my '82. When the starter finally stopped working I pulled it apart and the little ring that holds the springs and bearing was broken. I was lucky to find a machine shop that could weld up the ring. They also had three shoulder bolts to replace the ones that came loose and caused all the damage and they put Heli Coils in the ruined threads.

Now here's the good part of the story. As I was reassembling the unit I dropped one of the bearings of the sprag clutch and the spring that goes behind it into the oil sump. (reminder to myself - when working just above a hole leading to a sump or oil pan, stick a rag in the hole) With a magnet I was able to fish the bearing out but couldn't find the spring. After an hour of jacking around I asked the guy helping me if he had a ball point pen. He gave me a long look and said, "You aren't really going to do that, are you?"

Sure enough, I was going to do that. I took the pen apart and cut the ends of the spring off to match one of the other springs and put the whole thing together. It's been in there since '98 and still works a charm.

There's more than one way to skin a cat or fix a Vision.

Art

Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650