News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Blue V Update

Started by munkyfistfight, September 15, 2011, 10:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

munkyfistfight

I took the bike out of the "shop" aka my grandma's garage a few week ago and had it parked at my apartment. Tonight I took it out around the block and made note that over the last 2 weeks or so that it began running a bit rough. It's absolutely a carburetor issue. It's either a vac leak or diry carbs, but most notably in the idle area. It starts up fine. A few blips of the throttle gets it going, but it won't idle on it's own and needs to be kept on throttle to stay running (once on the road runs fine). At stop though, it idles rough or dies.

That's issues number one.

Beyond that, it overheats. I think that's an easy fix. The fan kicks on (albeit very hot) but I think it's a matter of doing a coolant swap. Other than that, I have a small left-side oil leak which I think can be fixed with a new gasket.

The electrical system works perfectly. It's charging with no issues.
It runs like a deam once running.

In two weeks I'm taking it on a 3-hour ride to Maryland (after some fluid changes). After that, it's going into the "winter shop" where it will be stripped, cleaned, updated, and ready for next Spring.

The Blue Boy is at 9,3xx miles on the clock. I think a fresh "Spring Cleaning" will see a classy Vision on the road next year.
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

QBS

Re Carb issues:  If your carbs aren't too dirty you might be able to fix the problem by extracting and cleaning just the low speed jet buried in the carb central body.  A can of your favorite carb cleaner might help as well.

The best way to keep V carbs clean during periods of inactivity is to drain the float bowls and turn your inline fuel cutoff valve off.  If you can't or don't do both these things you'll always have dirty carb problems.  All the best.

munkyfistfight

Thanks! That's something I was going to ask about actually. Can I do this with the carbs still on the bike (just for future reference)? I'm thinking of just pulling them and cleaning them this weekend....
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Brian Moffet

The combination of a bad idle may be due to a vacuum leak, and the over-heating may also be due to a vacuum leak. (extra lean mixture). 

Brian

munkyfistfight

Ok thanks. I've decided to gut it again this weekend. I don't want to take any chances. Now that the electrical system is fixed, there's no excuse.

Has anyone looked into these for the Vision? Is there a size that would fit? Looks cool. Thought I'd ask.

QBS

No. The jet is buried in the body and is accessed from the underside of the carb body.  It also requires a long small diameter flat blade screw driver.  You may have to create your own screw driver with the help of a bench grinder.  I did and others here have as well.  If the jet is stuck and its' slot is damaged,  the carb body is trash.  Access for extraction attempts is virtually non existant.  The good news is that if the carb is an '82, replacements are very available.  The bad news is that if it is an '83, you are in all likelyhood S O L, aka: So Screwed.

Bottom line:Be damn careful and don't screw up.  Cheers.

munkyfistfight

Thanks! I remember when I was working on my old '82 having to buy a small flat-blade screw driver that worked perfectly when I cleaned the carbs. I still have it. So I'll get in there and see what I can do. I think AKvision told me that these are '83 carbs. I could be wrong. I'll find out once I have them out of the bike again this weekend.

Thanks for the helpful information again. Have a great weekend.

Lucky

before you go pulling your carbs, there is another 'jet' that you should try cleaning first.  it lives in the bottom of the long cast tube at the middle of the carb. it is fed by the mall hole in the well of the carb.  pull the top off & you will see a 'figure 8' casting.  the oraface is at the bottom of the tube.

if you do want to pull your pilot jets, under the carb, pull the carb & use a well fitting screwdriver.  if you try to grind down a screwdriver & pull them in the bike, you'll mess them up for sure.  the need a well fitting screwdriver & good pressure to 'snap' free.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

munkyfistfight

Thanks Lucky. I went ahead and pulled them out anyways. Well it looks like I found a possible cause to my rough start/idling. When I got them out I noticed a nastiness on the undersides. I have no idea what this is though...Oil? Probably. It's some kind of carbon deposit. Bad valve seals? It's getting good compression. It was running really hot for a while. The intake manifolds look similar.

The guy who cleaned these for me back in March I think did a terrible job, so now that I have a little time and moolah, I'm going to do what I should've done in the first place....DO IT MYSELF  :D :D :D

Where might I find a gasket/ring kit?

It also occured to me to pull the plugs and check for similar nastiness.

Lucky

the technical term is ca-ca...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

munkyfistfight

I gather ca-ca isn't normal?

Re-Vision

Very normal, Spanish equivalent of English doo-doo.      BDC

akvision

Hello all,

Just back from a ride from Denver to Seattle.. and checking in..

The carbs on the BluV are stock 1982. 

The CA-CA.. looks like some bad fuel some where along the line.
Maybe too much corn liquor or something like that..  I am wondering why the fuel filter has not kept the fuel clean.. the paper filters are better, way better then the cintered bronz type.

Could it be back fire carbon CA-CA?

Anyway, good to see the Vision getting good care and feeding..

as always,  interested...

AkVision... Jim, Ketchikan Alaska
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

munkyfistfight

My guess is that it's from running improperly tuned/sync'd carbs on the road like I have. I had it pretty close, but no close enough apparently. That and the fact that it's been overheating. This weekends mission is to change the oil, coolant, and spray every nook and cranny of those carbs with carb cleaner.

Always good to hear from you AKvision.

Keep the rubber side down!

munkyfistfight

I replaced the coolant today and took the fairing off. I think it looks pretty rad without the "bubble"