Just bought

Started by motor29, September 30, 2011, 01:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motor29

I just bought this bike for $200 I figured what the heck . I started tearing the bike down and there seems to be the typical issues rusted out tank, rusted out mufflers, dirty carbs. Are there any alternatives to the stock exhaust, if not do I have to use an aftermarket muffler but still use the exisiting exhaust set-up. I was thinking of taking the reciprocating saw and cutting the mufflers this seems to be the only alternative. As for the tank I have secured a non rusted through tank, although there is rust inside it hasn't made its way out yet. Are there any carburetor rebuild kits out there ? I know some parts are hard to come by but I really want to get this thing running.

Tiger

:) Congratulations and welcome to your new and extended family... 8)

There are several aftermarket exhaust systems around...The most popular are the MAC's...still available and made in the U S of A for approx' $265.00...They do come up here and/or on eBay now and again...OR... there is the predator Stainless Steel System from the U.K. for around $1,000.00!! I have a rare Wolf system...but they are like rockin' horses shite to find!!!
However, I did put a sort of standard set up on my brothers Vision that had the stock mufflers cut off and a set of slip on's welded in place...and they perform well and don't sound bad at all ;)

In most cases your carbs will need a damn good clean to get your Vision running. Very rare you will need a rebuild kit. However, they are available from Sirius Sonic...check Yamaha Vision on eBay, they show up there from time to time.

Were are you located...?? We may have a Visionary near you ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

motor29

Thanks for the info , I checked out the MAC system it looks good. But how does it connect it looks like you only have the front exhaust ports what about the back exhaust joint ports ?? What connects there ? Do I need to disassemble the carbs to clean them or can I drop them in a bucket of some type of solution? I am located in the Fort Lauderdale area.

Lucky

Small world, I grew up in Hollywood :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

I have the MAC's on my bike and love them.  Got a brand new set off ebay last year for under $300.00.  The front pipe connects to both exhaust outlets on the front cyl and the rear connects to the "Y" pipe coming off the rear cyl.  Both lead into single mufflers - well, they don't muffle much.  MACS sound great though.

The ONLY way to clean your carbs is to carefully disassemble them and dip them  - NOT too long - into carb cleaner solution.  Even better if you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner.  After dipping them you need to carefully clean out as many of the passages that you can get to and for good measure, dip them again after rinsing them.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

VFan

Welcome aboard Motor29.  As Tiger said, eBay is your friend. I'm amazed how often good parts, including NOS parts, show up there.

VFan