News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

#22, rebuilt/delivered with pictures!!!

Started by Tiger, October 03, 2011, 06:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) What with work and all, I've been kinda busy this year ::) However, I couldn't turn down this sad looking, non-running, used and abused '82...besides, she came here a couple of weeks ago, for not a lot of dollars and with clear title to boot :o ::)

PLEASE NOTE: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FREE OR CHEAP VISION!!!

The Good:
Clear title, Good set of tires, 25k on the clock, OEM exhaust in not bad condition, stator checked out O.K. great seat, 96% complete.

The not so good!!:
Gas tank is toast ::) Carbs are in need of a very good clean out!!! The wire harness had been attacked by a mad, vision hatin' rodent!!! Left front signal indicator trashed, broken mirror, busted clutch lever, an engine full of gas/oil mix!!, front brake not working, no battery, Oil filled starter...I think you get the picture ;)

First off, she had a good wash from top to bottom, back to front!!!!!! She truly looked like a 'barn find'!!!
Once all the crap was off of her, I started the full strip down. I get these old girls down to a frame/engine and start building from there.

Now I have to tell you, carrying all these Vision spares that I have gathered over the last few years, is a great help to me and speeds up my rebuild process. I have parts either cleaned, rebuilt, sandblasted and primed awaiting the next Resurrection!!

In two weeks she has gone from something that had looked as if she had been dragged through a hedge backward to a decent looking, nice running Vision 8)

Done list: (in no order)...
Carbs completely stripped/cleaned and rebuilt (Thanks Peter), new tapered head bearings, front forks rebuilt with fresh oil and new seals, Master cylinder rebuilt and new site glass installed, S.S. braided brake line fitted, front caliper rebuilt, a 'new' wire harness installed, side stand/centre stand/front foot rest brackets/brake bar stabiliser/brake adjuster rod/lower triple tree sandblasted/primed and painted gloss black. Aluminum foot plates, aluminum top triple tree/aluminum '83 risers have all been sandblasted and shot with three coats of clear. ALL fluids changed, new spark plugs/wires/caps, new main pos' and neg' leads replaced. Starter clutch/46mm nut 'fix' done, new hardware replaced the brake bar bolts!!!. Rear brake overhauled, starter motor rebuild, rear fender 'bobbed' and more!!!

After maaaany years of deeeeeep sleep, the old girl eventually, (with a wee bit of gentle whispering!!), fired up...... with no clanks, bangs, knocking noises of any kind 8) 8)

This old girl will be heading out at the weekend, for the short journey to her new owner...my brother-in-law, Steve. This Vision was done at the request of my sister, as a present for her husband, from her and the three kids 8) 8)...ENJOY!!!

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

Tiger, it is entirely possible that....You are The Man!!

fret not

It warms my heart to read this account.  To see that another Vision is back on the road and in such a nice way! ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

kev10104

What a great gift indeed!

vadasz1

I see a Family reunion in the near future and a flock of Visions in the driveway.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

The Prophet of Doom

Wow! That's about 3 times the number of visions in this entire country.

Tiger

Thanks guys... 8)

I gotta tell you all, I still get a huge kick out of hearing these old girls awake from their loooooong slumbers and anounce to the world that they are back...alive and kicking once again 8) 8)

Now I just need to find another one...so I can get my impending 920!!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Tiger

Finished off #22 Friday evening, took her for a wee squirt this morning and delivered her to a very happy brother-in-law this afternoon.

Steve, like many of us, is coming back on to the roads...on two wheels...for the first time in a number of years. Married, kids, responsibilities, etc, etc...you know the drill ::) ;D :D :D :D :D

I'm sure Steve will be looking in to the ROV and will be joining in once he gets his membership through ;)

Congratulations Steve, welcome to the world of Vision. I look forward to Steve joining in a ride or two during next years riding season...with or with-out my sister on the back ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

QBS

What is the status of Steve's motorcycle training course attendance?

Tiger

Quote from: QBS on October 08, 2011, 08:15:02 PM
What is the status of Steve's motorcycle training course attendance?

He has to start from scratch!!!

M1 written licence, renewable every three months and comes with certain restrictions (here in Ontario. Canada)...ZERO tolerance to alcohol, no 400 series highways, cant ride during darkness hours, ?? Cost is around $15/$20.00 at a government licence centre.

M2 ridden course, once passed, removes all the restriction EXCEPT zero tolerance to alcohol...An M2 licence lasts five years. If you have not completed your M2 exit ( full 'M' licence) within this period you will revert back to an M1 with ALL the restrictions!!! College course is approx' $400.00!!

A full "M" removes the zero tolerance to alcohol...God only knows why!!! College course is approx' $400.00...or $80.00 at a government test centre.

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:) Thanks for putting the pictures up N_V...(my editor-in-chief!!!).

I think the old girl turned out quite nicely...don't you??

Now, my sister wants a ride for next season :o ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

That's a pretty good gumball on the back. What size is it? What kind is it?

Tiger

:) Rear tire is a Chen Shin 110-90 x 18...I do believe.

ps I think Chen Shin is Mandarin for 'cheap shite' :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

Cdnlouie

How much would it cost me to change the starter wire to black  ::)?

Get a signature decal Tiger  ;D!

h2olawyer

That's another beauty, Tiger!  AND you even found an ultra-rare "Sport" fairing.  Hope the ones I'm doing this winter turn out half as nice.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Quote from: PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ on October 11, 2011, 09:48:42 PM
That's a pretty good gumball on the back. What size is it? What kind is it?

Wicked square :(
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

22 Up-date...

This old girl never really made the road for any length of time and eventually ended up in the back of the garage...even after a house move a couple of years back!!

Last week, my brother Peter, sent me a text...with a Vision being brought back to life  :o

His oldest boy is now the proud owner of my very last Vision rebuild...don't ya just love it 8)

8)...TIGER... 8)

fret not

That's good to hear, Tiger.  A young man is likely to "fall in love" with two wheels and be afflicted for life.  I know it can happen, it happened to me.  Best for it to happen with a good bike like the XZ.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Always happy to hear a Vision has found a home.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan