Winter project...

Started by NewVisionGuy, November 06, 2011, 09:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewVisionGuy

So,  I posted here a few weeks ago that I was looking to get another V.  I had also put a "wanted" listing on Craigslist not really expecting much.  Well,  yesterday, I picked up an 82 in need of much TLC for almost nothing.  The P/O bought it in boxes and reassembled it for the most part.  I have a full fairing with all of the brackets and the extended oil-filler neck that is in relatively decent shape that I probably won't be using.  The outside of the tank is covered in surface rust, but looking through the top, it doesn't appear to have much inside  Most of the rubber grommets are shot, and I can't seem to find a battery cover anywhere in the pile of parts I received with the bike.  The tail is halfway through being bobbed... the section that holds the tail light has been chopped off with a hacksaw...  Thankfully, they didn't throw away the pieces.   There was an attempt at recovering the seat, but it needs some help.  I'm still not sure where I'm going to go with it right now.  H2Olawyer, being the awesome ROV'er that he is,  is combing through his parts this fall to see how many bikes he's got in there, so depending on what he finds,  I may do something like this...

I've been looking at that picture since '06 when I got my first V.   I'd love to be as lucky as,  well,  Lucky and have a cafe-V and an "original" V.  Only time will tell I guess. 

Anywho,  I'll try to get some pics up some time this week. 

Peace,

Philip

Tiger

:) Way to go buddy, way to go... 8) Everything comes to them that wait :angel:

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

NewVisionGuy

BTW,  Thank you, for all of your reports on the V's you've restored.  I've went through the ones I could find, and I feel like I've got a mountain of work to do.  It seems like there are fewer parts suppliers these days.  I've been looking for a Carb rebuild kit and a Master cylinder rebuild kit but can't find a distributor.  Where do you get your Tiger? 

Tiger

:) Your very welcome buddy. Start with whats needed and go on from there...little by little by little ;)

I get carb rebuild kits from Sirius Sonic. They are in Cambridge, Ontario. Canada...and also on eBay...they will deal directly with you. However, unless you have some really screwed up carb parts, rebuild kits arn't really needed (in most cases).

Master cylinder rebuild kits can be found on the Brits eBay at a decent price... ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

NewVisionGuy

Thank you.  I'll hold off on the carb kit until I take a better look at what I'm working with. I'll probably pull them tonight if I have time.  The master cylinder kit will get ordered tonight.  It is looking pretty rough.