It's Gone

Started by PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ, November 20, 2011, 08:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

I sold it. My much modified, much improved '82 is off to a good home somewhere else. I did enjoy my Vision. It sure was a different bike. But first I sold the 1980 XS650 and then I realized it was time to move the Vision too. Both went on eBay, though the Vision, never a popular bike, didn't fetch nearly what it was worth. But I'm fine with that. I restored for the challenge, not to make a fortune. It turned out to be a heckuva challenge. By far needing more help than any of the three other bikes I've restored. I chose an '08 Kawasaki Versys.  It's a great, fun bike. I like the chance to go off-road a little. Not full-out enduro riding but fire roads and roads off the beaten path. I can tour with it and ride it to work too. I also realized that modern bikes are better. They have better brakes, better suspensions, better manufacturing (looks at welds sometime), better electronics, and best of all, EFI. No muss, no fuss. Just start the bike, wait a moment or too, and you're riding. The engine never stumbles. It just goes.

I appreciate all the help this forum offered and plan to stop in every now and then. Thanks.

Rikugun

Sorry to hear she's gone but can't argue with your reasons. Good luck and enjoy your new ride!  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Re-Vision

Ditto, if I was younger I'm sure I would try one of the newer bikes even though I could never quit loving the Vision. Wish Yamaha would remake the Vision with all the upgrades we lust after.     BDC

RedBaron

Quote from: Re-Vision on November 21, 2011, 10:32:52 PM
Ditto, if I was younger I'm sure I would try one of the newer bikes even though I could never quit loving the Vision. Wish Yamaha would remake the Vision with all the upgrades we lust after.     BDC

Actually, the xz550 DOES have all the upgrades I "lust" after. You see, when one grows up with such great bikes like the Honda Dream, Norton Commando, BSA and Triumph Trident, CB750, Kawasaki Mach III ("Kamakazi Mach III"), most of which are great and legendary 'superbikes', all of which had exhaust pipes down each side of the bike like God intended (sorry, Mac guys), then you know the XZ550 has the upgrades I and maybe others as well like: disk brake (hey,  if you need more than one you are going too damn fast), sexy paint, great handling, single shock suspension, water cooling, shaft drive, shaft drive, did I mentionshaft drive!) and a mid-size weight and feel, classic twin scream and besides, anything over 750 ccs is bordering on Harley Envy, a foolish notion at best!

So, to put a perspective on the subject, some of the still greats for your pleasure...

She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!

RedBaron

Now, having said all that, if I had to have a new bike the Versys and the new Yamaha Super Ténéré, both compact twins, would be my choice if I had to have a new bike design, and maybe I am fooling myself, but I see a lot of the XZ in the Super Ténéré, look at the tank, the stance, the shaft drive, the monoshock, it's an updated XZ 30 years later.

Re-Vision

We had a discussion somewhat like this a few months ago and the Ténéré was mentioned. Looks as though it would be an awesome bike to go most anywhere on.      BDC

George R. Young

Rode my Vision for 20 years, mostly as a mid-size touring rig.

It had the power of a 1969 CB750, the brakes of a '73 RD350, the handling and comfort of a Triumph 650 and the electrical reliability of a Norton Commando.

Cdnlouie

Thanks Pete for all you did to bring back a real classic bike! Yours is the labour of love that we admire and appreciate.  It was such a pleasure to help you be successful with your Vision and to have that fantastic late summer ride you planned, which will no doubt be a cherished memory. It is the memories that will last and you have lived life richly by having owned a Vision. I hope the new owner will make the same contribution you have, to enrichen all our motorcycling experiences.

You will be missed but not forgotten!

VFan

Thanks Pete for your contribution to the forum. Take care

BTW RedBaron, your XZ looks in excellent shape. Thanks for posting the pic.

In college I had a Kawasaki 1000 Mach II (not the legendary Mach III) that I bought used. With a couple hours of hard aggressive riding, it would stretch the chain to the point that it needed to be adjusted again. Long live shaft drives. 

VFan

RedBaron

I believe it. The three cylinder two stroke had unreal torque as well as a jet plane scream at throttle. The 500cc Mach III had so much torque you could not keep the front end on the road on a full throttle standing start. It was unreal. Unique. Fun. Dangerous. Special.

RB