News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

End of Canadian season...

Started by Tiger, November 20, 2011, 08:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:( Sadly, its that time of the year here in Southern Ontario and its the end of the riding season...more or less!!!... :'( The first snows have come (and gone) and the temps have now dropped enough for me to stop having fun.

So thoughts now turn to 'what needs to be done' during the off season... :-\

'The Mistress' has had a complete ground up, front to back, wash down with plenty of hot water and shampoo to rid her of the past seasons bugs, dirt, grease and grime.

All dried off, she now sits patiently in the garage, on the table lift, ready to have her annual strip down of plastic body panels/gas tank/seat etc... and inspection.

I use the winter period to do upgrades, put right any temporary 'fixes' that may have been done over the past year. Repair/replace, as needed, anything that is not up to standard, cosmetic repair/touch ups can get done as well as an all round general service, ie change the engine oil/filter, in-line fuel filter, rear drive oil, wash and re-oil the UNI air filter, new spark plugs, check the brakes back and front, inspect the tires for any damage/wear/pressures, etc, etc.

Once this is all done, and before putting a cover over her, she will get a coat of wax and a tank full of fresh premium gas and fuel stabilizer to see out the winter... 8)

Hmmmmm, gotta go and pull the snow blower out of hibernation and give it a service... ::)

8) ....... TIGER ...... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

fret not

Your situation seems great for the annual service of the bike, but I live in California and seldom have to deal with snow on that scale.  About 20 years ago we had a couple feet of snow here and it was and "oh wow!" time for a few days with no electricity.  Fortunately we use wood for heat and could still cook after a fashion (no microwave etc.).  My vision is yet to run but I am crossing off items on a long list of "things to do".  Hopefully will ride it in 2012.  I guess I have no excuse for not having the V operational, other than I have been very busy doing other things.  It will happen sooner or later.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

George R. Young

In Ottawa, I try to stretch the riding season until the first application of road salt. It's definitely getting cool but so far no snow or salt yet, had one bike out this past Saturday morning.

YellowJacket!

Gotta love ya Tiger.  You spend the entire year building and rebuilding Visions and work on yours on the "off Season"   ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

Quote from: YellowJacket! on November 22, 2011, 10:22:54 AM
Gotta love ya Tiger.  You spend the entire year building and rebuilding Visions and work on yours on the "off Season"   ;D

David

:) I have no choice buddy LOL!!! This 'off season' I have no Vision projects on the go...other than 'The Mistress'. However, as you know...that can change quickly :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Rick G

The "down hill" riding season started about a month ago and the "up hill" season ended about two weeks ago. In the summer , its too hot to ride down to Bullhead or any where along the river , so we ride up hill to Seligman or Prescott.  In winter the roads at those altitudes  will be icy and the wind too cold , so we head to Bull head or Havisu, perhaps to Vegas or even across the  CA. desert. We can ride all year if we have suitable gear, but many are fair weather riders. so I'm alone much of the time.
I put a new fork seal on the right fork leg of the VX (Vision is still in hibernation)  and am thinking  of mounting the set of Leatherlyke bags , my Neighbour gave me . on the VX , instead of the seca  bags. I'll do an oil change before it gets too cold in the shop and call it good!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

spectre

I would ride year-round.

...if my parents would let me.  ::)
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

Ron_McCoy

Sorry you have to be down for the winter. I bet that first spring ride is really great after being off for the winter.  I live at about 4000 feet elevation in the Tehachapi mountains so it snows here, but we ride all winter except when we have a storm. Its nice to have more than one bike so you can have one down for maintenance and still be able to ride. I bet the snow blower doesn't look as great as your Vision.

Tiger

Quote from: Ron_McCoy on December 12, 2011, 01:26:37 PM
...I bet that first spring ride is really great after being off for the winter.

... I bet the snow blower doesn't look as great as your Vision.

:) You don't know how good my friend  :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

:P No... but much more effective in several inches of snow at 5 a.m.!!!!!!

If the weather keeps cooperating the way it is, we may get a ride in before Christmas!!!!!!...and spring is only three and a half months away ::) :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)

Ron_McCoy

Actually, I have recent experience in how good it feels to ride again after being down for a long time.
Its actually even better than I had anticipated.  Good luck on that pre-hristmas ride.

supervision

Yea, I am thankful that we live in California, I have been out dirt biking, today made the 4th Saturday, in a row, that I hit the dirt. I have been riding my 2001 XR200R for ten years, and I am in the mood, for a different bike.  Sometimes, I think about a different street bike, butt the Vision just works so well, it's hard to figure a different better tool for the job!! Of course all of you, out their already figured it out.
" border="0

Rikugun

QuoteIf the weather keeps cooperating the way it is, we may get a ride in before Christmas!!!!!!...

In '09 it happened the day after Christmas!  ;)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan