News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

It's GRADUATION TIME!!!! I Did It!!!!

Started by YellowJacket!, December 04, 2011, 04:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Well folks,  Its been an incredibly busy 15 months since I started PA school.  During that time I learned most of what a doctor learns in 4 years...whether I remember it or not I will find out over the next 10 days.  Tomorrow I start finals week and then my didactic summative - AKA "Hell Week" - where we are tested on everything we learned all the way back to the beginning.  Its a week of not only written tests but practical skill exams as well.  Its tough but I think I'm ready for it and will hopefully do well.  However, the bar is set high and our minimum passing grade on everything is no less than 80%.

On December 17 I will be presented with my official white coat at our White Coat ceremony.  Its an event that marks the passage of medical students on to the clinical phase of their programs.  After that I will get a three week break and then start my clinical rotations.  I have 8 rotations with only two days off between them during which I will be taking end of rotation exams.  So its like I will be working 12 months straight without a day off.  Ironically, its the part that I have been looking forward to as I have worked in clinical settings for over the last 20 years.

So now that I got my ROV fix for the day, its back to studying...

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Funny thing is though.... They haven't told us which white coat we're getting... The one doctors wear, or the one with the arms on backwards and extra belts.  Hmmmmm...

David

Re-Vision

You are going to get the yellow jacket!      BDC

67GTO

Now you need to get used to saying: " I concur"  :)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

YellowJacket!

Quote from: 67GTO on December 04, 2011, 09:02:15 PM
Now you need to get used to saying: " I concur"  :)

I concur

David

fret not

Good for you David.  You will be effecting people's lives in a substantial way.   :angel:

Just remember: First, do no harm. :police: ;) ;D
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

YellowJacket!

Well guys, thanks for all the encouragement!  I survived didactic summative week and actually did better than I thought and finished with an A in Didactic summative and 4 of my other 6 classes.  I'm still waiting on my surgery and geriatrics grades which are both teetering between and A/B.

Its a funny feeling now not having to have a book in front of me studying.  I have a couple days to rest then have the White Coat ceremony this weekend then off to clinical rotations.

yeeeeehhhhhaaaaaaaa!!!!!!   ;D

David

Rikugun

Wow, that really is amazing. Good for you David, nice work!  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

Dave , ask anything you want about geriatrics, I'll be 70 next may . I can fill you in!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Re-Vision

Congratulations, hope you find more time to post here, you've been missed. Wish I could answer your questions on geriatrics but I turn into a senile seventy-one next week.    BDC

YellowJacket!

Look out world, I'm approved to care for real people now.  I start out with my internal med rotation then on to either pulmonary or thoracic surgery.  Still having a tough time deciding between the two.

Here's a pic of me after the ceremony:

David

Lucky

As my father would say, "Sharp as a tack!" :D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Re-Vision

Congratulations, you look good!     BDC

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

lexx790

So will that be Dr. Yellowjacket from now on then ?  ;D

Well done mate.

kiawrench

congrats on that White Coat,, well deserved and hard earned.

one thing though,, i just realised that if you wee to grow a small mustache,, you would be a near dead ringer for Mr.Whipple !  Please ,dont squeeze the patient!

kidding , of course--
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

fret not

Nice looking coat! ;) ;D :D  Congratulations!!
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Brian Moffet

YellowJacket!

Thanks guys.  Nope, no. "Dr.", the traditional term for PA is usually Mr. but you all can still keep calling me David or YJ, LOL.

Interestingly, my aunt called all excited to tell me that she saw me on the news getting coated but I never got to see it, however, a former co-worker told my parents that she found it on youtube, so for those of you that aren't my FB friends, here is a short video of the ceremony....I'm not sure why they picked me as there were some pretty awesome looking girls both before and after me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt9Ln5CnptQ&feature=share

David