Early x-mas present 81 XS 850 Special

Started by Lucky, December 25, 2011, 03:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

My wife & sons surprised me this christmas with an 81 850 XS Special that was owned by a young friend of a coworker. a few times over the last couple of years he brought it by my work to ask me tech questions. Last year he sold it but the guy never finished paying him. he had to go to court to reposses it, which he did. My coworker was telling me this story last fall & did i know anyone interested in it? (Yeah, me!)

My wife & son snuck it home a few days ago, on a trailer, rolled it in my recently straightened shed & changed my lock!  that was my Xmas present this year  If you guys don't know, she also, out of the blue, bought me my very first motorcycle as well, & is now in the process of learning to ride her own bike.

So anyway, this bike is different than what i'm used to, & i've been reading the Yamaha Triples site as much as i have time to. (i'm also scratch building a steam engine & have winter maintenance on all 4 of our Visions)

so, a bit about the bike, what I see so far:
the wire loom is a mess. lots of tape removed, several splices (although the yellow ones may be factory right? fusebox fubar (normal Yamaha. i'll be installing an aftermarket glass fuse box in the stock location) carbs are getting a good going thru & sonic cleanings. speedo is smashed, turn signals & mirrors are non existant, brakes need to be gone thru top to bottom, as well as all the other safety items. plastics need sanding & paint, oil changes, filters, etc, etc, etc

Yeehaa!!
--Lots to do...

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

67GTO

" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

VFan

Tiger

:) Congrats on the new project... 8) Santa comes in all shapes, sizes & genders eh ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

Lucky,I have a set of triple carbs,yours for the shipping. might have a road test in an old CW, I'll copy it if you want.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Brian_Matthewson

You have a wife who has bought you two motorcycles?!?
Now I know why your handle is "Lucky"!
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

Lucky

The Prophet of Doom

Want to sell your family Lucky? I could do with one more understanding about motorcycles.
How about $40 plus actual shipping, or swap for XZ parts?

VFan

Quote from: roro on December 29, 2011, 07:14:22 AM
How about $40 plus actual shipping

Shipping to NZ? That could get expensive, especially if there was any sight seeing in Hawaii or Sydney on the way.  ;)

spectre

Dad? I never thought I'd say this...
But I like it here.
LOl
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

Lucky

Next he'll be asking for airholes in the box! Sheesh!

Lucky

supervision

Visionmiester rode an XS750, before he brought home the Vision, those are sweet motors, I love the sound of a triple.  My Dad also had a XS 750, with the fairing, I rode it all the way to Boise one time.
" border="0

Lucky

what gets me is that with crappy plug wires & leaky, badly out of tune carbs, it started sooo easy..  gonna spoil me lol.
'course now i've jinxed myself....