Main Menu

Started by iain, January 21, 2012, 03:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain

Where's my avatar gone?
Iain
NZ

Re-Vision

Probably walked off with Roro's girl, it's missing also. If you don't find her try one of the McCarthy girl as she kooks nice.     BDC

The Prophet of Doom

No doubt some religious twat complained to the RoV admin.

Rikugun

It's a shame really, especially when one can go into his or her profile and choose not to see avatars.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Brian Moffet

While I have asked people to police themselves on having work-safe avatars, I have not complained to the admins. I figure that's something that we can all agree on (or not and take appropriate actions like turning off seeing avatars).

Rikugun

iain , were you notified as to why the avatar was removed? You didn't indicate in your OP.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

iain

Nothing was sent to me so maybe admin didn't remove it , maybe she left me for another man or woman you never know now days ???

Iain
NZ

Lucky

Iain, you starting a tool business? buddy, friend, old pal...   ;D ;D ;) ;)
Have I mentioned how handsome you look today? lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rikugun

It seems unlikely she left for another man so I guess without being privy to the real reason I'm free to dabble in wild conjecture whilst remaining guilt free to it's validity!  :o  :)

To Brian's point, I have a fundamental difference of opinion. The interweb is (for the time being) like the wild west - largely untamed or regulated. If you go to a site you feel is inappropriate for your surroundings then you shouldn't be there. You chose to go there. No one has the god given right to go where and when they want on the net.

It seems presumptuous to ask the contributors of that site to make it comfortable for you. Especially when a simple tool is provided to ease your angst. Rather than avail yourself to that feature, the interweb should bend to your will?   :police:  Doesn't seem right to me but that's just my opinion.  ;)

There are a couple of avatars that are a little more risque compared to the rest. Not something I'd choose but to each their own. Relative to what is acceptable based on the social mores of the times in which we find ourselves,  I feel they are quite tame.  I've seen more suggestive materials on TV, in print, and PG-13 movies. 

I can see the other side of the coin just don't agree is all. So ends my lengthy dissertation regarding my 2 cents....... ;D

iain

Sorry Lucky I am just finishing the tool business I have been doing that now for about 4 and a bit years, I have another job now with more stable income,,,
In your post you forgot to add [hung like a horse]
Iain
NZ 

Re-Vision

Hope we don't get any ROVers who want to post avatar pictures of their hung-like-a-horse boy friends. I suppose female ROVers may feel that way about their female counterparts. I try to judge what makes a tasteful avatar by thinking how I'd feel if it was my daughter in the picture. Wonder how folks would feel about a naked XZ550 on a XXX site? LOL  Everyone needs to remember that it's very easy to turn the avatars off if you don't like them.     BDC

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Rikugun on January 23, 2012, 01:47:38 PM
If you go to a site you feel is inappropriate for your surroundings then you shouldn't be there. You chose to go there. No one has the god given right to go where and when they want on the net.

It seems presumptuous to ask the contributors of that site to make it comfortable for you. Especially when a simple tool is provided to ease your angst. Rather than avail yourself to that feature, the interweb should bend to your will?

You miss my point.  I can request it, I don't demand it.

And to argue against your point, one of the reasons that this group is so good to hang out with is that we are considerate of others opinions and beliefs.  I am only specifying my opinion and belief on the appropriateness of the avatars. 

If you don't like that I state my beliefs, then perhaps you should consider whether you want to be anywhere that I am (to carry your extremely bad wild-west metaphor to its logical conclusion).  I will continue to state my beliefs, and if that bothers you, you should leave.

Brian

iain

Come on Guys its not worth getting wound up over. we all have different opinions and views on what's appropriate and inappropriate and that will differ from country to country.
Iain
NZ

Brian Moffet

To be clear, I'm not wound up. I hope Rikugun doesn't leave, he has good information and is a member of this group. I do, however, think that he is being hypocritical in saying that the "wild-west" metaphor implies that I can't make a request for some appropriateness in avatars, yet he can request I shut down everyone's avatars because of a few risque ones.

Even the wild-west was a society, and societies work on compromise. 

Lucky

actualy, i think there is an option to turn off the avitars you see when your logged on, not for everyone.  if i wasn't so lazy i'd check, lol

Brian Moffet

Yes, that's what I was thinking of as well.  I prefer to see people's avatars.  I also like reading this forum while I am at lunch or break at work.

Lucky

might be an ad-on from simple machines to allow that...

Re-Vision

You mean an add-on that lets you turn off individual avatars rather than all of them?     BDC

Lucky

yeah that's what i'm thinking..
we would have to ask Ron to look into it..

Lucky

Or, something like an image filter that could be installed on the end users machine...

something like this perhaps: http://www.safesquid.com/html/portal.php?page=80