Main Menu

Carb Dip

Started by hydra10, February 02, 2012, 10:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hydra10

Hey guys, quick question. I'm looking at dipping the carbs before i get them put back on for the summer, and was wondering if any of you have had any luck using Pine-sol?
I saw a couple posts online about using it as a dip and that it works very well, but just wanted to verify it with someone before i tried it.
Anything to save a few bucks, right? (not at the expense of the bike though)

AdvRich

I give it a thumbs up and use it with water in a heated ultrasonic cleaner. Less toxic too for use and waste disposal.

Kiwi

I used pinesol and it worked quite well.  I just let the carbs soak for 24 hours, then scrubbed them down with a tooth brush.  I would recommend wearing gloves !, i did not and my hands felt like they were on fire and  a layer of skin peeled off... not my brightest idea...
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Lucky

There are a lot of things you can use form mild (liquid dishsoap) to wild (berrymans carb dip)
-Adding heat (150 degrees or so) will help, as will sonic if you can.
-Agitating or vibrating is good (electric sander strapped to a can)

Avoid anything with oidizing agents (oxy clean, purple power, etc) they'll turn aluminum black

degreasers are a good choice, mineral spirits are what they use in Hot Tanking & what i use in my sonic cleaner.

be careful with anything flamable & enviromentaly responsable is good.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

hydra10

Awesome, thanks guys! Trying to get everything ready before the nice weather really sets in. Got a lot more to do, but this helps me get one step closer.