News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Enumerating the changes

Started by treedragon, January 28, 2012, 03:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treedragon

So here I am currently supping on a touch of cider and pondering the changes that hit us all at times. I count myself fortunate to still have the few "things" that I value as well as the intangibles such as friendships, partnership, a sense of having a place in the scheme of things, and connections no matter how tenuous such as this forum where people just get on with each other despite the unknowns and any perceived differences, (it's really good cider I tell you :-) :-) I still have my camera, computer, van and the bike, as well as several places to sleep at night.....

Sooooooo what AM I on about?? already the subject matter has deviated from the original intent and that was about the bike. There are those of us that keep the original Vision alive and those that don't, with varying degrees of deviation (no matter the Avatars  ;D  ;D  I guess I am the latter although it was the look that originally grabbed me.

Personally I started off with a 1982 XZ550 in 83, only had it until the 650 Turbo's came out and then I changed my Vision ever forward from there to more performance etc etc and finally back full circle to an 1983 XZ550............ now somewhat altered. So before the cider cuts in toooo deep.... my intent is to enumerate the changes to the current steed with comments, a refresher, (and the spell checker on)...........

Tyres - running Shinko's (formerly Yokohama's) 100x90 front 120 on the rear, cheap and despite my best peg/exhaust grinding, "throw them all over the place" treatment they don't let go even with a bunch of Ducati's up my butt, you know, fly the Vision flag and all, show them what a real motorcycle does (cider??)..........

Suspension - front forks raised 36mm through the clamps, (mudguard adjustments needed), YSS fork emulators in the front with ATF fluid, YSS rear shock (for the XZ550) but with no added ride height adjustment. Result - more stable, flickable and refined, unflappable despite extreme abuse, money well spent. With my changes to the fairing as in it sports an altered Ducati 996 tail section and with my cobbled together rearsets my centre of gravity is lower to the ground making the bike eminently more flickable............ I like  ;D  I run clipons mounted atop the fork stanchions

Engine so far - Basically untouched except for an XZ400 flywheel as it's way lighter although it is still waiting for me to throw it on the lathe and trim a bit more....... definitely more perky in the rev department. The airbox has no filter IN it, IT DOES HAVE THE VACCUUM FLAPPER, I filter the air before it hits the airbox, I have extended trumpets on the carbs made with the help of a spare set of the rubber trumpets - definitely better pulling power (ask the Ducati boys), I have finally tuned out the the slight low rev stumble. The bike runs a CycleWorks system, built and still available new here in NZ, definite improvement in performance and as a bonus I count not sounding like a strangulated GN250 a win I feel..........

Electrics - well I have replaced two stators so far. I have a modern regulator and run a Yuasa gel battery up in the tail section, two projector beam headlights and digital dash. Radar detector, I need it.

Fuel - I run premium which here in NZ is rated at 95 Ron. I always run acetone in the fuel at the rate of .7 to 1.5 mls per litre, this guarantees me an extra 2 to 3 k's per litre of fuel, saves a boat load of money over time and the engine loves it! (clean burning plugs, responsiveness etc, it's the same in my van).

Performance - very smart especially if you work the gears with this being a country of especially nice corners and brilliant road surfaces. Top speed as measures by a calibrated aftermarket speedo and confirmed  by the Ducati Boys (well they said 198k), is around 190k at the moment going slightly uphill at 1000' altitude............. oh and I weigh in at 100kg

What's to come??? - well after a quick prayer to the God of Mechanic for support (he is a Vision supporter you know) I am hoping to drop the Cosworth cams into her sometime soonish when I find the bit of paper with the timings written on it. They are the original spec from when they developed the engine before Yamaha detuned it for political correctness reason, quite lumpy they are, might need an exhaust change for full potential........... that will have to wait.

Well I see I am having to correct the spell checker too much so I think I will call it quits for now. As always I welcome any questions.

There is always a way

iain

Always good to here what your up to Martin and your improvements to your bike

Iain
NZ
Minus my avatar

The Prophet of Doom

Hi Treedragon, nice to see you back here again.
I do hope you take some measurements of that cam etc before you drop it in.  If you give it good press I am very tempted to get a matching one made for my bike

VisionMeister

Where can I get some of that cider?

treedragon

roro
have got the original spec sheet for the cams, from back in the early 80's will get a copy to you in due course.

VisionMeister
NOT recommending the cider, I should be riding today but............. well the cider isn't helping  ::)

I forgot to add (well probably a lot of things.... the cider you know)

Brakes - Yamaha R1 discs with FZ400 pots and braided brake lines, the bike now stops. I'm still trying to sort a good working arrangement for the rear brake pedal up onto the rearsets, rather fancy a linked front and rear option (more cider needed   ;D )

Will put the bike back on the dyno before putting the new cams in just to see what difference the airbox mods have made, I'm hoping the original run data is stored in a cardboard box somewhere.......

There is always a way

fret not

The cam specs information would be a great addition to Lucky's CD, or are they , um, proprietary?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!