News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

83 Vision Scrambler/Adventure bike

Started by 83VisionAdventureBike, March 10, 2012, 08:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

83VisionAdventureBike

Hello all. I am new to this site and to my 83 Vision. Just bought it a couple of weeks ago. The guy I purchased it from had it sitting in a barn for the past 9 years. It only has 8000 original miles on it and is in fairly great shape. I have spent the last couple of weeks going over it piece by piece. Cleaning and replacing anything I can get a rag or wrench on.  I am converting mine into a scrambler-type bike with knobby tires and the like. I'll post pics soon. Anyone close to Montrose, CO ride? I would love to find some people to ride with.
An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason.
C. S. Lewis

Re-Vision

Welcome aboard. I sincerely hope I don't appear rude but why would you want a Vision bike to be a scrambler. It may be that my idea of what a scrambler is may be in error.     BDC

Lucky

Sounds interesting..  you have several members in Co., but how close i'm not sure.  don't be afraid to post pics either.

btw, you'll find out you need to keep the carbs clean, clean, clean (add an inline filter) and clean the tank & expect rust holes in the corners of the tank.  also, don't expect to substitute cone filters for the aibox.  it'll never run properly without the airbox.  there are more tips on my site xz550.com for new owners.  Welcome!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

AdvRich

Bring it on... love to see some pics. I did some gravel/rock road sections with my beater Vee standing on the pegs and was pretty impressed with the tracking and balance it gave weaving through the rocky sections. I've considered the mod a time or two or maybe switching the motor, shaft/swingarm into a frame more suited to ground clearance and abuse. It'd make a good winter beater too with the shaft and all, but an '82 might be a better choice as they're not so rare and costly to replace damaged parts on. Anyway, love to see some pics and welcome to the Vision mad house.

Rich

83VisionAdventureBike

Thanks for the feedback. I will be posting pics soon. As far as the Scrambler idea goes, I am not looking to ride anything too rough and rocky, but there are a ton of dirt Forest Service roads around where I live and I would like to be able to explore them without falling down. I'm just talking about knobby tires, fork boots, tweaking the suspension a little and raising the fender.  Not changing the essence of the bike. It is a great candidate for what I want to do because of all the low end torque and power. Also, I need the black plastic battery cover. Mine's missing. Keep the comments coming!
C. S. Lewis

Rikugun

Welcome aboard!  I have fond memories of the Honda 175 twin scrambler I had as a kid. Sounds like an interesting project. Actually I think this is the first scrambler project I've seen proposed since starting so I'd be interested in seeing pictures too. :)

Rich, It might be easier to mount a motocross front end and a longer rear shock on the frame that's there. Then mount your knobbies and a number plate/headlight on the front. It could be the first hybrid IT/XZ 550! You'd have to add some oil to the gas for that authentic blue exhaust haze though....  ;D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Raj1988

Welcome

Scrambler V would be too cool... How do you plan on building a high exhaust? or are you just gonna lift it and throw some knobbies on? I spent a lot of time contemplating that  and settled on  mesh in the rad guard, enduro handlebars and a prayer! Like ADVRich said, the bike is real easy to ride on gravel compared to some other street bikes

There aren't many dual sport tyres available for the 18 in front and rear so I ditched the full on dual sport Idea

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

83VisionAdventureBike

Raj1988 I am glad to find someone else who has thrown the idea of a V scrambler around. As far as tires go, I am going with the Shinko 244's. A great tire from what I have heard and read. Not too knobby, but achieves the look I am going for.
C. S. Lewis

pullshocks

Have you found suitable tires in the Vision sizes?  I considered buying adventure style tires and couldn't find any.

Rikugun

QuoteAs far as tires go, I am going with the Shinko 244's. A great tire from what I have heard and read. Not too knobby, but achieves the look I am going for.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/15034/ITEM/Shinko-244-Dual-Sport-Front---Rear-Tire.aspx
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

'83VS, please strip off all your very valuable and rare '83 specific fiberglass before you hit the woods.  Yes, Vs' have excellent low end torque. They also weigh close to 500 lbs.  Good condition OEM exhaust systems are few and far between.  Just sayin.

Over the years my '83 has been down a lot of National Forest trails in search of the very private camp site.  Crossed a few shallow (and some not so shallow) creeks in the process.  Off road Ving can be done with thoughtful care.  Attempting speed is a bad idea.  Jumping a V is like launching a battleship.

Rikugun

Quote'83VS, please strip off all your very valuable and rare '83 specific fiberglass before you hit the woods

And then offer them up for sale on the cheap - that way, those with '82's will benefit.  ;) As QBS alluded to, do the same with the exhaust. Since you'll be poking around the boonies at low speed you won't be needing that twin disk front end so I'll allow you to trade * for my single disk forks. You may add cash to sweeten the deal since I'm doing you a huge favor. A thankyou card is optional but certainly welcome.

Also, before taking any rides, be sure and submit your proposed route and itinerary for approval by the other '83 owners.  :police: Cheers!  

*Don't forget to replace your seals and change the fork oil prior to shipment (at your cost) to me.

Walt_M.

Nah, just go ahead and trash your low mileage '83. It just makes the rest more valuable.
Whale oil beef hooked!

QBS

Night Vision

say nay and make it yours...  :)

I could've used some knobbies Sunday  ::)

I've been on 600 mile weekends and back roads that turned into logging roads.. it's all good, just ride it!

oh, and don't forget to check your rear brake brace bolts

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=4688.0
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

Look in the gallery, There was a fellow 10 years ago who had a Vision "Dirt bike"   
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

83VisionAdventureBike

Rick G, I did see those pictures. Mine is going to be a little different and probably cooler. Thanks for the tip on the gas app. It is awesome and there is a no-ethanol station close to my house. Night Vision, I am glad you are riding off road. Glad there is someone else who isn't afraid to get a little dirt on their bike.
C. S. Lewis

QBS

Dirt: No problem.  Broken and trashed rare bits: Big problem.

Rikugun

Q, what makes you so sure he's gonna trash his bike? I'll bet he'll have more capable tires on his then you did trail riding and fording creeks on yours. You were running a bigger risk than he yet the '83 police  :police: aren't beating down your door. Oh wait, maybe you removed your plastics and exhaust prior to off roading? If so I apologize.  :)

And if Mr. Scrambler does trash his bike I'm pretty sure your name is not on the title so what of it? Who is it a big problem for? I'm guessing he has contemplated the risks and accepts them. Why can't you? Relax, your bike will still be ok. That is if you stop beating it into the ground on National Forest trails  ;D   ;D

QBS

Rikugun your apology is accepted.  You missed the part about off road riding with "thoughtful care".  Sometimes when "scrambling" life happens.