S.S. Brake Line Supplier

Started by Fuzzlewump, February 15, 2013, 07:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzlewump

Hey all,

I'm about to put a braided stainless steel line on my '82. After doing much hunting around, I see a great number of dealers and don't know who to choose. The prices I've found look wildly varied for what appears to be essentially the same product.

1. Is there any general consensus on the best supplier/manufacturer? Who should I go to for a new line?

2. I'm a bit confused about what all I need to order. 2 crush washers, 2 banjo bolts, and the line....right?

3. What size banjo bolts do I need to get?

Thanks guys,

Fuzz
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

PHM

Yes I agree,want to put SS lines also, but do not know a supplier for the dual disks on a 83,any help? Canada dealer please

fret not

This has been discussed a while back, and there is a Canadian supplier, Rennsport Auto Parts, who sell on eBay.  They will make custom lines for you, so you need to measure the lengths and fittings you need.  See their website for more and better directions. 

I found one listing from them on eBay, you can call toll free 1-866-939-3953 or find them in eBay and e-mail them.  Probably the best prices and good service with high quality materials.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

don_vanecek

for whatever help it maybe I bumped my installation article up for you

Night Vision

@Fuzzlewump - the galfer 82 single line kit has all the bits you need and the price is right.  I sourced individual bits for a Goodridge line near the same price, but was able to get a nice carbon fiber black color that looked sorta like black chrome.
Speigler, Hel, Russel are also good brands. 

If you want to go custom, you need to measure the length of the line (not counting the banjos), get two 35 deg banjo fittings (good stuff usually comes with the washers (two per banjo), and a M10x1.25 singe banjo bolt (not a double banjo for two lines at the MC).  Don't mix manufacturer's bits

@PHM - IMO, the Rennsport option is the way to go for you... personally, I don't care for the look of the two lines at the MC that Galfer uses for their 83 kit.  This way, you can retain the stock look.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: PHM on February 15, 2013, 09:00:38 PM
Yes I agree,want to put SS lines also, but do not know a supplier for the dual disks on a 83,any help? Canada dealer please
Quote from: Night Vision on February 16, 2013, 09:49:11 AM
@PHM - IMO, the Rennsport option is the way to go for you...

PHM...as per Night_Vision, Go with Rennsport. You have to do a wee bit of work but way cheaper than Galfer ... and they are Canadian!! Located in Scarborough, Ontario.

You have to measure your lines, banjo style/size, etc but it is all explained on the guys site, (check ebay for ordering details).

Should you go with the TWO front lines (my choice) you need to order a double banjo (master cylinder),and two singles for the front calipers.

If you go '83 (stock 3 lines style), you will need 6 single banjo's.

Plenty of crush washers come with the order.

The lines come in Clear, Black, Red or Blue 8)

They will deliver or you can pick up with-in 24 hours if in a rush 8)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Fuzzlewump

Thanks everyone for the help! Think I'm gonna go with Galfer since it's all-in-one, and I'm getting a little winded from all the hunting around for brake parts. Best to just buy it out and be done.

Pulled the left fork off today so I could start the process of changing fork seals and putting on tapered steering bearings. Someone's already changed the seals out before, and they THREW AWAY THE RETAINING CLIPS!

I had everything torn apart and ready to go, thinking I'll have this job out of the way, one more hurdle gone. Nope....ugh. Put it all back together, roll her into her parking spot and get online to order some more parts.

I really enjoy working on my baby, but I'm starting to feel really mired down by all the surprise snags that keep popping up. Man, I just wanna ride!!  :'( :'(
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

Rikugun

QuoteI really enjoy working on my baby, but I'm starting to feel really mired down by all the surprise snags that keep popping up. Man, I just wanna ride!!   
Persevere and ye shall be rewarded greatly.  ;)  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

Many XZ's have had much of the good run out of them , You will need to put the good back in. Once you do this, you  will reap your reward.
When I bought my VX , my time fixing up a XZ  was useful . The thing was awful , it took me a month to get it on the toad  and a year to the get it looking good.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Cdnlouie

Hey Fuzzlewump, where are you in Canada?  I see you are listed as living in Phoenix, AZ.  I have the line measurements and banjo orientations for the 83 single line from the MC setup if you want them in order to place an order.  I do like the single line setup look from the MC.

Fuzzlewump

Hi Louie,

I do indeed live in Phoenix...haven't been to Canada yet but I'd love to go one day. Every Canadian I've ever met was someone I'd like to meet again.

I purchased the Galfer brake line kit, just came in the mail a few days ago. The length of it (including banjos) is 36 inches I believe, where my stock line measured 38.5. Also, both my old banjos have a 15 degree bend in them, and the Galfer has only one banjo that's bent. There seems to be plenty of room to play with though, so I don't expect these things to present a problem. Thanks for your offer anyhow!

Quote from: Rick G on February 18, 2013, 01:34:34 AM
Many XZ's have had much of the good run out of them , You will need to put the good back in. Once you do this, you  will reap your reward.

Going through the mountain of old posts here, I keep seeing this famous quote of yours cropping up, Rick. It's a nice one!

I'm very excited to have a vehicle that I know is full of good, won't burn out on me completely with some major unexpected problem. Every other vehicle that I've owned has been a lemon that I knew nothing about. This is the first time I'll have something that I've personally gone through from fender to fender. I imagine that the work I'm doing on this machine will make diagnosis of future problems much simpler, as well as making any future problems easier to predict and prevent. That's gonna be a pretty empowering feeling, one I haven't had with a vehicle before. Gonna put as much good into this girl as I can.

Rikugun

QuoteThis is the first time I'll have something that I've personally gone through from fender to fender. I imagine that the work I'm doing on this machine will make diagnosis of future problems much simpler, as well as making any future problems easier to predict and prevent. That's gonna be a pretty empowering feeling, one I haven't had with a vehicle before. Gonna put as much good into this girl as I can.

Well put.   All part of the magic that is Vision ownership. It dosn't come with the purchase but rather is earned.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

kwells

well now you know the seals won't fly out without the clips..haha

Here's a link to the bikebandit fiche. It's possible the seals they used were too tall and didn't let the clips fit back it.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1982-yamaha-vision-xz550rj/o/m147091#sch605531
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rikugun

QuoteIt's possible the seals they used were too tall and didn't let the clips fit back it.

kwells, Sounds like you may have had a set of those "special" 11mm Pyramid Parts seals before!?  :o  :D

Rick G

They sent those damed things to me and I sent them right back , with a note explaining their error.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Fuzzlewump

The seals that were in my forks looked to be the 11mm ones. They were too tall to leave room for the retaining clips, and I suppose PO just tossed the clips.

No matter....now I have new seals AND new clips!  ;)

kwells

Bingo.

Yah, had a few WPS fork seals that were too tall before...
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com