83 Vision Scrambler/Adventure bike

Started by 83VisionAdventureBike, March 10, 2012, 08:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandal171

Check out this link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462017

Doug has travelled around the world on an Indian, A Harley Panhead, and a Shovelhead proving that ANY bike can be an Adventure bike if your up to it.
Bikes are my life.
Current stable:
1983 GL1100 Goldwing
1983 GPZ 1100 Dragbike
1982 Vision
1979 CB750 10th Anniversary
1979 CX500 Custom Cafe bike
1975 CB500T Hardtail Chopper

artbone

If BMW GSs are "Adventure Bikes" I'm sure a Vision can be one. Just be sure to chose your "Adventure" wisely.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Rick G

While living in OR. I followed several dirt roads . One had a fallen tree across it . Not letting  obstacles stop me is a habit , so I horsed the XZ over the log by skidding the crank case over it . Street tyres were an impediment , but did not stop me  I followed the road until it came out on the highway, 25 miles later.
Here in AZ. I followed a dirt road  until I came to a stream , which I crossed, however the road got very rocky so I turned around.

I have followed  the many  dirt roads and trails here, on my 77 Honda XL350 (317 lbs , 21 inch front wheel and 18 rear).
At one point I had an Arcticcat 300 to explore the really rough  terrain in the Cerbat mountains , where I found ghost towns and many abandoned mines,also had a 400 Yamaha ATV, which threw me into a cactus patch and then landed on me, upside down. I spent 15 min pulling spines out of my hands with my nail clippers!
That one had a swing arm instead of 4 wheel independent suspension , so i sold it.

You can follow some dirt and even single track roads on a XZ just don't get too adventuresome! In my opinion, its way too heavy  (as are ALL the offerings  on the market now) and has too short suspension travel. You could change the forks and the front wheel, but the rear suspension travel is what it is.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

similar concept / similar original specs

18" knobbies are plentiful
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rikugun

Sweet! The Ascots were under appreciated.  :( A little less power but easy screw tappet valve adjustments,  CV carbs, and 6 speed trans. Not much range with their small tank but a nice looking and riding bike.  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

My brother has a VT500 Ascot he welded up a larger tank for, and transplanted a XL500 front end.  He calls it he Moto Rodeo Superbo, and has had it way out in the boonies.

The front wheel from a 650 Seca Turbo is the same spoke pattern as the XZ and is 19".  Might be a place to start a scrambler conversion.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

500 Ascots are more compact than an XZ, somewhat lighter too!  There lower horse power makes hooking up the rear wheel easier too!
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

Another Ascot plus is the easily upgradeable rear suspension!  ;)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

MY  XL 350 rear shocks were ruined . I found  a set of  13 inch used shocks that were  in great shape.  The stock ones are 14 inch. The drop in the rear of the bike was good foe me and my 29 inch inseam. It also kicked out the front end a bit.  The lower seat heigth helped me ride , as I can't stand on the pegs very long due to my 70 year old knees.  The fact that the bike sits lower and is easier put into a slide , has made me revamp my riding style . I no longer stand on the pegs while initiating a slide in a turn , I put out my foot and flat track it around. You may want to make your XZ into a dual port /adventure bike but you would be better off with a  DR 400 or 650 Suzuki . If you want to stay on an older bike . you can't beat a XL/XR Honda , from 1976 to 1985 . Rugged . easy to tune  and work on and there is a great forum!
Rick G

artbone

I love those V twin Hondas! I rented one on my first trip to the Isle of Man TT in '89. It's a perfect bike for the Island, unless you have a death wish.

Matter of fact, that bike was the reason I sent my spare Vision over there in '93. It served me well for many years. :laugh:
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

kwells

great project idea. A GS is a pig...the Vision could do some adventure riding no problem....A set of good knobby tires gets you half way there.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

I just took the time to view Jerik's post. That was really a beautiful trip! Many of the roads and views reminded me of the Cascades in OR. I don;t think Honda sells that model of the CB500 here.
Rick G

artbone

I think I'll make my 82 into an adventure bike. It would be perfect for down here. Slightly longer shock, two inch longer forks, some semi-knobby tires and I'm there. I really like the riding position on the 82 better than the 83. The feet a little forward and higher bars really make it a comfortable ride.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Rick G

You might consider what I did as the 82 bars are two narrow and the adjustments are too high , too low and this ain;t no good either!  I had a set of bar mounts , sourced at a junque yard , from a honda 3 wheeler , welded on to the Xz crown. Now i can mount any bars I like.!
Rick G

artbone

Couldn't you just find a set of suitable dogbones and drill 2 holes in the top triple tree and mount bars that way?
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

The Prophet of Doom

Drilling is easy enough.  The upper triple is hollow, so you need to pack the backside in with spacers

Rick G

I actually did it that way too, It will work , but you will need a set of bar mounts that have a fairly long center bolt . Actually I experimented with three differant types . But i liked the welded up ones the best. The others put the bars too far forwards. Yellow jacket has/ Had? the two bolt up ones . I still have pics though . If anyone is interested in this mod PM me.. It was the single most important mod , for me, in improving the handling  on the bike . The stock setup is miserable  , weird angles and their too narrow.
Rick G

Rikugun

Too far forward? Roro's appears to be hovering over the stem bolt which is about as far back as you can go and certainly further back than where the stock risers attach at the stanchions.  Maybe it's more a function of the rise/reach of your bar choice that was uncomfortable?

Welding seems like the more expensive way to go but I'd still be interested in seeing how it's done. Post up a picture of the welded one?  As far as long bolt bar clamps go I can think of two off the top of my head from bikes of the era -  KZ750 twin and XS650 twin. There are numerous aftermarket risers and setback clamps available as well. It really does open up the bar position over stock so I can see why it would be an attractive mod to someone unhappy with the stock setup.  :)

artbone

Couldn't you just modify the little stub bars that the switches mount on? You could make them longer and with whatever bend you wanted. Seems that would be a lot easier than dogbones or welding.

It's all academic to me. I like the 82 bars as they are. I rode mine from the Isle of Man, down through France, and across Switzerland to Italy and back and never once thought about the bars so I guess for me they are okay.

My plan for that bike is, as I said, something I can take on one or two day trips in Mexico. I would like to raise the suspension an inch or two, front and back, dual-sport tires, and increase the size of the gas tank a bit. I've got MAC pipes on it and I've got an 83 twin disk front end for it. It's got the Yamaha handle bar mount fairing on it.

I think it'll be perfect for Mexican back roads.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Rikugun

This outfit was famous back in the day for making X over fork tubes and apparently are still at it.
http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/
It won't increase travel but will raise the front some especially with stronger springs and spacers. For the rear, Don Vanecek and others have installed certain sport bike shocks that effectively raise the bike. Some to the point of requiring sidestand mods.  :)  If it were me, I'd also cobble up a skid plate to protect the underside of the cases and the header pipes.